Tempted by a Levo Expert but I am struggling to justify it!

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys where to start :) I am 58 years old slim and fit I have a Whyte 130 S Yari and really like it I ride with my wife Linda who has a Haibike which she adores I also ride with a couple of friends who have normal mtb's and we get out on the north York moors and do some great off road rides, they are tough but I do them no problem.

Now here is the thing, my wife keeps saying I should get an ebike as I had a knee operation on my cartilage a few years ago and she thinks it will just give me so much fun on the trails and be easier on my knees, so stupidly I have been looking on this forum and guess what I have totally fallen for the Specialized Turbo Levo Expert but crikey they are expensive aren't they!

Linda loves them as well and she fancies a bigger battery so she doesn't have that range anxiety so what did I do today I went into a Specialized shop and said if I bought two what deal would they do for me, so they said they would give me 15% off if I bought two which knocks off around £1100 on each bike which I reckon is a decent deal, but the problem I am having is do I do it and what will I do when I ride with my friends as I would feel bad going up hills, I am wrestling with myself here, is it time for me to give in to this and get one/two :)

Shaun

May 12, 2018
Saint Mary Bourne
Don't worry about the cheating dilemma of riding with non ebikes. With the Levo it uses a phone app (Mission Control) which allows you to tune the power modes. The Eco (lowest) mode can be tuned such that it simply cancels out the additional mass of a ebike. In effect making it a standard bike so 100% compatible with your normal riding buddies.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Same age as you, and a comparable problem, as my physique is less compared to my friends due to some medical issues.
Put the eco on 10% (balanced) or 15% (slight surplus), and the difference with your non-ebike friends is small.
You have to cope with the higher weight, especially on reaccelarations and will struggle a bit more on tight turns, but will gain on the flat zones.
Going uphill you will have to try (I live in a rather flat area and don't have experience on the setting, I have an Expert) what is a good tuning.
Fiddle a bit around, Mission Control does quite a good job.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Just do it, you know you want too.....and you've got the wife's go ahead ...... no brainer
You won't regret it

Haha I really am struggling as I am proud of my fitness at being able to get up anything but I suppose I am a bit older now so maybe it might help my knees as I know even with an ebike I am still exercising and keeping fit but I still can't get my head around the price of them but any make ebike is expensive, hey Mark your picture is the exact model and colour I would go for as I would want the bigger 700wh battery so do you love yours :)

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i ride with my pedal bike homies and i just ride in eco. they get used to it real quick. but they do get jealous when i have to hit another lap after they’re done? doesnt make them not want to ride with me, just makes them want an emtb for themselves!

Mad Mark

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Nov 2, 2018
Burton on Trent
Haha I really am struggling as I am proud of my fitness at being able to get up anything but I suppose I am a bit older now so maybe it might help my knees as I know even with an ebike I am still exercising and keeping fit but I still can't get my head around the price of them but any make ebike is expensive, hey Mark your picture is the exact model and colour I would go for as I would want the bigger 700wh battery so do you love yours :)
Mines a cube stereo action team not a turbo Levo, but yes I love my bike
Your fitness will not drop because you end up riding more & longer and keeping it in eco mode means you have to put quite a lot of effort in anyway...... and when you start to feel a bit tired you can up the boost and carry on.
Once you've got one your mates will soon follow - they are very addictive
Then you can all ride more ?

This is my 2018 bike - I paid £4585 & I do love her ❤️
IMG_0090.JPG

Koo

Nov 11, 2018
Finland
Same age as you, and a comparable problem, as my physique is less compared to my friends due to some medical issues.
Put the eco on 10% (balanced) or 15% (slight surplus), and the difference with your non-ebike friends is small.
You have to cope with the higher weight, especially on reaccelarations and will struggle a bit more on tight turns, but will gain on the flat zones.
Going uphill you will have to try (I live in a rather flat area and don't have experience on the setting, I have an Expert) what is a good tuning.
Fiddle a bit around, Mission Control does quite a good job.

so you think 10% is the assist to counter the extra weight? what is your PP in this case?

This is something I have been thinking a lot. What is the "assist level" compared to normal non-ebike.

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
so you think 10% is the assist to counter the extra weight? what is your PP in this case?

This is something I have been thinking a lot. What is the "assist level" compared to normal non-ebike.

I do exactly the same when riding with non emtb friends. I ride 10% basic assist and PP 10% or 15% depending on the situation. I also ride it together with BLEvo Smart HR and leg power. Then I use 5% until 15% support, HR 140bpm, leg power 180W. It works great and provides a very natural feeling and yes, it's sometimes too heavy. Where I normally tried to shift quickly (which is hard to do with a one click shifter) I now tend to switch very shortly to trail mode and keep it in the same gear. However this happens very occasionally just a few times during a ride.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium

I have Peak Power for all modes on 100%, I want the motor to support over my whole effort range, not top off. I will not reach the max in eco, I know, but why limit the PP if range it not a concern? To safe battery, you can lower it, but reduces the natural feeling.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I had the bike shop get back to me today offering to do two Levo Experts for £6000 each that is saving 17% discount which I reckon is a great deal BUT I think I might wait as after reading that post on the motor housing filling up with crud/dirt etc it has put me off as it is such a design flaw and as for them putting some foam in there to fix it is almost laughable as that was probably the first thing they thought might help the situation but water will still get in there and it will probably be always wet in there. I will have to wait to see if a proper fix comes out as I am sure it will on the 2020 model.

Such a shame as I thought I was going to be getting my first ebike :(

Simon_t

Nov 18, 2018
Herne Bay, UK
Water will always get in the area of the motor on any e-bike - it is not a problem as the motor and connectors are sealed. If the bike shop is competent, they will either check that the foam has already been fitted by Spesh UK, or fit it themselves to the pattern provided by Spesh. I don’t think you need to be concerned as although there has been some early teething troubles, in the UK they have been rapidly resolved. I have done about 1200Km on my Expert now and it is a fantastic bike, even with a couple of the known teething troubles which were rapidly sorted.

Simon

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I’m 58 with a knackered back and it makes riding a pleasure again.
I just ride in eco when out with my mate and just play at his speed.
Just remember in winter to put more layers on as you get cold.

Maybe look at a Focus Jam2 and get a TEC pack, lots of range and a good value option.

eabmex

Patreon
Jun 8, 2018
Guadalajara, Mexico
I had the bike shop get back to me today offering to do two Levo Experts for £6000 each that is saving 17% discount which I reckon is a great deal BUT I think I might wait as after reading that post on the motor housing filling up with crud/dirt etc it has put me off as it is such a design flaw and as for them putting some foam in there to fix it is almost laughable as that was probably the first thing they thought might help the situation but water will still get in there and it will probably be always wet in there. I will have to wait to see if a proper fix comes out as I am sure it will on the 2020 model.

Such a shame as I thought I was going to be getting my first ebike :(

I do have a Levo expert, the other day Iwent out to ride with a good friend, he is a year older (54) and was recuperating from a shoulder injury, but he was national Cross country champion years ago and rides 4 times per week, ao his condition, stamina and condition are all excellente. I did use eco at 10-15 and was barely able to keep with him, what I was doing was switching to to trail for very short periods of time just to be able to stay with him. On the technical climbs I ended up using trail more because the gearing is relatively high and if you loose some momentum it is very hard to gain it back, just my experience. But all in all it was great fun and very different to other times I had gone out with him and really testing his patience.
As for the issues of the 19 bikes, if they offer you to change to the 4 bolt cover and make sure you do have the sponge it is all good, if yuo do not mind using the piece of inner tube glued to the outside I believe it is an excellent solution. Ireally love mine and I decided to get it even if I were aware of the issues knowing that they were an easy fix and how good Specialized warranty normally is.
You have the great advantage of your wife wanting to go out with you, so Iwould jump on the oportunity and get the disccount before she changes her mind and start enjoying together!

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
WOW those new replies have really got me excited again :) so you reckon I am worrying about nothing then? We were going to wait for the Haibike Flyon launch but I know the Specialized warranty is superb isn't it and that means a lot, do you think £6000 for a new expert is a great deal oh my wife will be getting one as well so it will cost £12,000 !!!!!! Even though the Flyon will be a good bike we both love the styling of the Spesh :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you are looking that kind of cash, and from what you have said of your riding, the new La Pierre EZesty might be up your street, different philosophy to the current crop of bikes, less assistance, less battery, but a lot less weight, designed as a minimal assistance bike, and a bike a lot of us are very excited about.

Lapierre EZesty - EMTB Forums

DSCF6528.jpg

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
WOW those new replies have really got me excited again :) so you reckon I am worrying about nothing then? We were going to wait for the Haibike Flyon launch but I know the Specialized warranty is superb isn't it and that means a lot, do you think £6000 for a new expert is a great deal oh my wife will be getting one as well so it will cost £12,000 !!!!!! Even though the Flyon will be a good bike we both love the styling of the Spesh :)

Lots of cheaper options and you could both have a bike each for just over £6K depending on the bike and spec. Do you both want the same bike, think you both need to try and ride some or at least sit on them, what fits one might not fit the other.
I wouldn’t spend £6K on a bike , I’d hunt for a last year model of a make I like and go for a good discount, latter in the year if they don’t sell you will see a discount that will come off the second hand value.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
If you are looking that kind of cash, and from what you have said of your riding, the new La Pierre EZesty might be up your street, different philosophy to the current crop of bikes, less assistance, less battery, but a lot less weight, designed as a minimal assistance bike, and a bike a lot of us are very excited about.

Lapierre EZesty - EMTB Forums

View attachment 9752

I do love that but I do fancy that 700wh battery :) and more range as if I am going to do it I would like to get a bike as capable as Linda's is, is the Expert good value at £6000 as i have read a fair few comments about it being overpriced!

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Lots of cheaper options and you could both have a bike each for just over £6K depending on the bike and spec. Do you both want the same bike, think you both need to try and ride some or at least sit on them, what fits one might not fit the other.
I wouldn’t spend £6K on a bike , I’d hunt for a last year model of a make I like and go for a good discount, latter in the year if they don’t sell you will see a discount that will come off the second hand value.

Good advice, we don't need the same bike at all it's just that we both really like that design but I must admit I still think even with that discount £6000 is too much money I would prefer it to be around the £4000 to £5000 mark!

Linda has an early 2016 Haibike which she loves but it would be nice to get her a bit more power a smoother motor and a bigger battery, as for myself I have never had an ebike so I reckon a 500wh battery would be fine for me and saving money would be fab :) but there are so many out there aren't there, I do like Giant bikes but they are still expensive aren't they!

Any suggestions for good quality cheaper options with good warranty/back up

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
I have the 2018 Expert. You'll be surprised how far and long even the 504 KW battery will get you when you are using eco and occasional trail settings. All day battery is not an exergeration at all. If you can afford and want it, what are you waiting for? Go for it already. Don't overthink it. You'll not regret it. I can tell you very few if any anyone regrets. And at your age... why not. Its going to pay for itself in added fun and vitality. Am not as old as you, but not like am 40 either. My wife protested when I was going to get a comp carbon. I figured she'd feel the same as long as I got another bike so I got what I really wanted (The expert). She said as long as I actually ride it and not just park it... boy have I ridden!! She has trouble getting me to skip a ride now. :p

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I have the 2018 Expert. You'll be surprised how far and long even the 504 KW battery will get you when you are using eco and occasional trail settings. All day battery is not an exergeration at all. If you can afford and want it, what are you waiting for? Go for it already. Don't overthink it. You'll not regret it. I can tell you very few if any anyone regrets. And at your age... why not. Its going to pay for itself in added fun and vitality. Am not as old as you, but not like am 40 either. My wife protested when I was going to get a comp carbon. I figured she'd feel the same as long as I got another bike so I got what I really wanted (The expert). She said as long as I actually ride it and not just park it... boy have I ridden!! She has trouble getting me to skip a ride now. :p

Great advice and you are right :) I reckon a 500wh battery would easily be enough for me so are you saying try and find a 2018 Expert which will be cheaper I don't know how they differ from the 2019 model but I don't want to spend £6000 if I can help it, I do really like the look of the Giant Trance I had a Giant bike and it was superb.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Water will always get in the area of the motor on any e-bike - it is not a problem as the motor and connectors are sealed. If the bike shop is competent, they will either check that the foam has already been fitted by Spesh UK, or fit it themselves to the pattern provided by Spesh.
The problem is not water getting in to the casing, it’s water not getting out because huge clods of damp mud are in there with it. At the end of the day the seals are far more likely to degrade and fail if they spend their life caked in mud. Yes there is a warranty you can fall back on, but for the price premium of a Levo no-one should be having to deal with these issues.

VaseLEVO

Aug 20, 2018
Arlington, VA, USA
Great advice and you are right :) I reckon a 500wh battery would easily be enough for me so are you saying try and find a 2018 Expert which will be cheaper I don't know how they differ from the 2019 model but I don't want to spend £6000 if I can help it, I do really like the look of the Giant Trance I had a Giant bike and it was superb.
If I had the choice I between the two I'd of course get the 2019 as its newer (I assume its an improvement but I don't know how much as the 2018 is pretty damn good already). I got the 2018 not because I wanted to pay less, which I'd like if at all possible, but because I am impatient and couldn't wait for the 2019s and wanted to be riding through the summer. I may bet the 2020 if its better still, but for now I don't even feel like I missed out. I am as happy as can be with my 2018

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles