Swiss trip 2018

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
The following will be added to over the next few days and whilst the trip happens. I shall gradually add details about rides, bike prep, bike, spares and equipment carried, and anything else that I can think of.

As some may already know, I head off to the Swiss Alps once a year and this year is no exception. Sadly it is only for a week though this time, as we are visiting friends in Germany for the first week. Hopefully, I'll get back out there again in October though, to make up for it.

For those that don't know about my Swiss trips, we have been visiting the Jungfrau region for over 30 years, and for the last four years I have been taking an eMTB for some 'proper' climbing fun. I've never really had interest in down hill riding, so being able to put in some epic climbs in the mountains, is my dream holiday.

I've completed many notable climbs and rides, but as a starter the following one has been my most meaningful. (please excuse the link Rob) Giving something back

Beyond the above, YouTube has proved quite inspiring, and created two more memorable rides, each of which I have completed on more than one occasion.

The first was this descent from the Schilthorn. I decided that if it can be ridden down, then it can be ridden up. It still remains my toughest climb, but it is one that I complete on each visit. The guy in the clip took the cable car up to the start of his descent, and when I first watched the clip I couldn't understand why he went seemingly slowly down the concrete section. When I reached it on my climb, I quickly realized why! I still haven't made it up it yet, as the bike either looses traction, tries to loop, or both! I'm going to do it this year though. :) Even riding down it for the first time was very scary. The route isn't actually an mtb trail, and is just a hiking trail. The first time that I rode it, I was given permission to do so. This climb also showed me just what kind of stress that the poor old batteries have to put up with. When removing the Bosch battery to change over, the outer case was so hot that I didn't really want to put it into my back pack.

Strange how film never shows just how steep that something is. From the clip, the ride looks almost flat, and I can assure you that it isn't. To date I have only made it up as far as the 1.10 point in the clip, and the concrete strip is at the 1.50 point.

This is how the climb to roughly the 1.10 point looks from the ride stats. I have reached just beyond Birg, and hope this time to reach Piz Gloria, although I may well tackle the climb from a route that no one has yet documented, or even possibly tackled. More about that another time.

Climb 3 - Copy.JPG Capture 1.JPG route1a - Copy.jpg

The dreaded concrete strip.

P1010021-Copya.jpg P1010023.JPG

Getting near to the top.

P1010083.JPG

This is hopefully going to be my alternative route. I have got as far as the 34 second point but from a different direction, but had to abandon the climb due to two very nasty and aggressive dogs.

More to follow.

Last edited:

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
The second ride that I had long wanted to tackle was the Lauberhorn Ski run. I tried to unsuccessfully ski down it many years ago, but always felt that it would be a good one to tackle on a bike. Spurred on by this YouTube clip, I decided that it had to be done. I mentioned it to a Swiss National, and he offered to guide me, so we made a date for what turned out to be a truly epic ride.

Here is the Youtube clip that once again inspired me.

And for those that aren't familiar with the race.

The ride which ended up being 27.78 miles long with an elevation gain of 8,704ft, was quite a roller coaster for me. I bonked at roughly the 15 mile point, and that was something that completely shocked me. I genuinely felt really sick and ill, and was struggling even with the eMTB, to travel more than a few metres at a time. I had been training for months for this trip, but in no way felt that something such as altitude and food storage would hit me in such a bad way. It was bad enough that my guide was going to call it a day, but there was no way that I wanted to quit this day. After slow progress, we made it to a restaurant, and after a good meal, I was feeling much better. We also swapped bikes for the remaining climbing, but more about that in another post.

The Lauberhorn run was so much more than I had expected or wanted, and I'd not hesitate in doing it again. The one thing that did strike me throughout the down hill run, was just how crazy the the skiers racing it are. It was scary enough on a bike!

Epic ride.JPG

u39.JPG

Taking in these peaks. The horizontal arrow was from the climb to Birg.

P1010054.JPG

image3.PNG

u27.JPG
u23.JPG

mix 2.jpg

A close call to follow, and a reminder that riding on your own in the mountains can be very dangerous.

Last edited:

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Jeez wouldn't want to make a mistake on them ridges :eek:

And that leads nicely on to risk and safety.

Riding anywhere on your own can at times be risky and possibly stupid, as I have in the past found out to my cost. Once here in the UK, when a fall lead to concussion, and on two occasions when riding on my own in the Alps.

I have come to learn that the weather conditions can change within seconds, from being bright sunshine, to rain, wind and fog. Staying put is obviously the safest option, but I have on one occasion pushed forward, knowing that the safety of a building was what I thought just a few hundred metres away. Yet another lesson learnt the hard way.

Here is an example of how quickly that things can change.

Superb conditions for a mid evening ride high up in the mountains, and ten miles up from the start point of the ride.

P1000950.JPG

And then this within minutes. What you can't see, is that the ride traverses a ridge, with nothing but a very long drop to either side. I had no option to try to move forward, as the wind had also increased to a level that I just didn't feel safe being there. That was a mistake, as the building that I intended to shelter in was further away than I had thought.

P1000944.JPG

Below is what you might title a very close call, but it wasn't until riding on the opposite side of the valley the next day, that I even realised.

I had been out for yet another evening ride, and ventured further than I had intended. I had come across an aggressive dog, and didn't want to return the way that I had come. I kind of knew (big mistake) that if I went on, I could loop back around the valley. Time was escaping me, so I upped the pace, and took a fall.

z1.jpg

I fell down the bank shown above, and it was only hitting a tree lower down, that broke my fall. It seemed to take forever to get back up the slope to where the bike was, but I then realised that my phone had fallen out of my pocket and was still down the slope. I always carry para cord with me, and used it to help me back down again, to find the phone. When I got back up again, time really was running out, as I was concerned that no one knew where I was, and that my wife would be getting worried. I had only popped out for quick ride! With no telephone reception I couldn't call anyone, and made the decision to go down a very tricky hiking path, carrying and walking with the bike. I very nearly just abandoned the bike, to come back and collect it the next day. I eventually got back, many hours after I should have!

The next day when riding the opposing valley, I looked across to where I had been, and was shocked to see that had a tree not broken my fall, I would more than likely have fallen over a cliff edge!

The red arrow roughly marks the point where I fell, and the yellow line roughly the hiking path back down.

z2 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Mike Smith

May 26, 2018
Derby, UK
Crikey! interesting read there.
I always carry a couple of foil blankets, would have been useful a fews back when I took a fall and was remote waiting for help and the cold started to set in, this was in the summer too! I guess it was the shock and ultimately the worry of being stranded and hurt.
Good tip on the para cord (y)

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Crikey! interesting read there.
I always carry a couple of foil blankets, would have been useful a fews back when I took a fall and was remote waiting for help and the cold started to set in, this was in the summer too! I guess it was the shock and ultimately the worry of being stranded and hurt.
Good tip on the para cord (y)

It certainly isn't nice when you get into that kind of situation. :(

The mention of the foil blanket leads nicely to my carry with me kit. :)

edithols2.jpg

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Tie wraps and gaffer tape hold the universe together!

Can't argue with that one. One zip tie holding a broken brake mount back in place. Not ideal, but at least it enabled me to finish the ride with a brake that still operated.

lever.JPG

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
It certainly is, although I kind of prefer Birg. But that is simply because it isn't quite so busy.

The whole area is lovely though, and I have just found a clip that shows a few the trails that I have ridden. The only one that I haven't ridden from this clip is the one from the 3.08 point onward. I wanted to do it last year, but couldn't work out how to get from it from either the Schilthorn or Birg. I might well tackle it this year, but I'm slightly uneasy about it, just for the reason that it is a hiking trail not a mountain bike trail, which in itself I don't mind, but suspect that it might get pretty busy during summer month. Birg and Piz Gloria can be seen in the background from the clip.

Map of the section that I haven't yet ridden. map.veloland.ch

Last edited:

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
Well that is the bike serviced, detailed, and all good to go. :)

From this.

zzz1.jpg

To this.

z1a.jpg z2.jpg

Then this, which isn't bad for such a used and abused bike.

zz10.jpg zz11.jpg

zz3.jpg zz5.jpg
zz6.jpg zz9.jpg
zz12.jpg

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018
I had hoped that I would be taking the Scott E-Genius 720 as the trip would of made for a brilliant review of the bike, but the failure to deliver a promised second battery means a no go for the bike. I had suspected that this would be the case as the bike had already arrived too late for me to prep it properly, so I wasn't holding my breath in respect of getting the battery in time.
Luckily, having had the sense to ensure that the KTM was fully stripped down, refreshed, and good to go, has the bonus for me being that it is several kilogrammes lighter which makes a massive difference when the time comes to carry the bike up certain sections of the ascents. As mentioned previously, according to my scales the Shimano battery is also 505 grammes heavier than the Bosch battery and is also 56mm longer. That 505 grammes is all extra weight to carry in the Camelbak Mule, and overall adds over 1kg of weight to whole set up. I consider weight to be a crucial issue, and is one that I like to plan for.
The down side of not having the Scott, is brake rotor size. Something that the KTM is sadly going to be lacking in when it comes to alpine descending. 203mm rotors on the Scott, compared with 180mm on the KTM. The KTM is a full XT set up though, so who knows what if any differences that there might or not be. I do know that brake fade has been a frequent issue in the past though, and the local lads all seem to run Shimano Saint.
Trivial issues aside, I'm really looking forward to finally getting to put a hardtail through it's paces in respect of alpine climbing. I've long suspected that several of the climbs would be best placed using a hardtail, so it's good to finally get the chance to prove or disprove this to my self as well. I do know that I'm certainly looking forward to trying the 2.8 tyres on one particular climb that has always beaten me through loss of traction and balance point.

Speaking of 2.8 tyres, I had also read somewhere that bikes with plus size, don't fit properly onto Thule bike racks. I don't have my model number to hand, but that statement is utter nonsense, as I found out earlier when doing a trial fit.

Good to go.

zz1.jpg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I dunno - i have driven to and around Jungfrau, and its one hell of a road trip. I love nothing better than a good drive across europe.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
That’s the thing, if your driving you can just stop and go ride if something looks appealing

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I had hoped that I would be taking the Scott E-Genius 720 as the trip would of made for a brilliant review of the bike, but the failure to deliver a promised second battery means a no go for the bike. I had suspected that this would be the case as the bike had already arrived too late for me to prep it properly, so I wasn't holding my breath in respect of getting the battery in time.
Luckily, having had the sense to ensure that the KTM was fully stripped down, refreshed, and good to go, has the bonus for me being that it is several kilogrammes lighter which makes a massive difference when the time comes to carry the bike up certain sections of the ascents. As mentioned previously, according to my scales the Shimano battery is also 505 grammes heavier than the Bosch battery and is also 56mm longer. That 505 grammes is all extra weight to carry in the Camelbak Mule, and overall adds over 1kg of weight to whole set up. I consider weight to be a crucial issue, and is one that I like to plan for.
The down side of not having the Scott, is brake rotor size. Something that the KTM is sadly going to be lacking in when it comes to alpine descending. 203mm rotors on the Scott, compared with 180mm on the KTM. The KTM is a full XT set up though, so who knows what if any differences that there might or not be. I do know that brake fade has been a frequent issue in the past though, and the local lads all seem to run Shimano Saint.
Trivial issues aside, I'm really looking forward to finally getting to put a hardtail through it's paces in respect of alpine climbing. I've long suspected that several of the climbs would be best placed using a hardtail, so it's good to finally get the chance to prove or disprove this to my self as well. I do know that I'm certainly looking forward to trying the 2.8 tyres on one particular climb that has always beaten me through loss of traction and balance point.

Speaking of 2.8 tyres, I had also read somewhere that bikes with plus size, don't fit properly onto Thule bike racks. I don't have my model number to hand, but that statement is utter nonsense, as I found out earlier when doing a trial fit.

Good to go.

View attachment 2327

Amazing post EddieJ, have a great trip!

I didn't see this post until today so presume you may already be on the road heading across Europe?

Regarding your brakes, will you possibly get an opportunity to upgrade your brakes before you hit the trails? You could use 203mm adaptors and 203mm rotors front and rear and using the brake pads pictured below? They will hopefully get rid of some of your brake fade concerns.

I do a lot of Enduro and Downhilling in the French and Swiss alps and some of the off piste descents are very long (Obviously not as long as the ones you will be doing)... I used to have a lot of issues with brake fade using 'Standard' pads until changing over to the 'Metal' 'Finned' style pads as picture below. These pads made a massive difference to brake fade for me.

Hope the above helps you as I know what it feels like to lose brakes while descending, not a good situation at all :eek:

1530024471543.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles