Swinley any good?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
It's about an hour away from me, I quite fancy a change of scene, especially while the trails here are knackered but never been & don't know much about the place. Worth a day out?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
From here to Swinley is an hour and a half and was thinking exactly the same - could do with a change of scenery. Everything here is slowly drying out but still a mess, but maybe Swinley is also a mud bath?

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Yes its worth a visit. A lot of the blue stuff is very tame and flat though. Head to the downhill area where babymaker etc is.
There is also the new jump line.

I would have thought its pretty dry. Peaslake was soft but mostly dry on sunday.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Swinley does extremely well in the Winter in terms of resistance to slop. Sandy soil and some hard surfaces provide good drainage.
4 good, but short (45sec) downhill trails near the babymaker end.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Cheers guys - is the boring stuff ok too? Parking, cafe, all that sort of thing?

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Cheers guys - is the boring stuff ok too? Parking, cafe, all that sort of thing?
Yep, there is parking at "the lookout" but can get busy on the weekends. Cafe, food, bike shop all available here. Also loads for young kids to do there as there is a "discovery centre".

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
I've got mixed views about it. I ride in from the Camberley/Bagshot direction off of the Maultway North. Apart from a very brief foray on a borrowed e-mtb hardtail I've only really ridden it on my Kona Hei Hei and found it a bit too "pedally" but now I've recently got my Cube e-mtb I think I'll enjoy it a lot more - in fact I may ride over there tomorrow, A lot of it drains pretty well but there are some bits that still get waterlogged eg Tanktraps. Personally, I prefer loamy type surfaces but a lot of Swinley is compacted gravelly type stuff... but it'sOK. As already said, a lot of the more interesting stuff is over at area sometimes referred to as "the clubhouse... with runs like Babymaker, Bermastic, Bikini Carwash.

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
I’ve not ridden Swinley in a few years, but I thought they had done a good job building a fun trail with very little vertical to play with. It was quite blown out when I last rode it, I think swinley suffers from being the closest trail center to London, so gets a lot of use.

It would depend on where you’re coming from. If it’s an hour to Fod/wales and an hour to swinley, I’d go to Fod. If it’s an hour to swinley and two hours to Fod/wales, I’d definitely ride swinley from time to time.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Yeah, occasionally go to Peaslake, not for a fair while though. Swinley would be new to me, so there's that. Matter of fact Rogate's nearer than both but I'm not much of a park rat tbh.

Weeksy

Dec 13, 2019
Reading
Rogate isn't a park kind of place in terms of trails, it's fairly dedicated as a jump zone. There's not a lot of tech as such or indeed trails, but if you want to send it, it's ace.
My lad loves it there but races high level DH. I'd take Swinley or QECP over it any day.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Rogate I know. This way,, we have Steyning trails if I want to get airborne & they're ten minutes away, so we never bother with anywhere else & anyway, the older I get, the less all that appeals.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I've got mixed views about it. I ride in from the Camberley/Bagshot direction off of the Maultway North. Apart from a very brief foray on a borrowed e-mtb hardtail I've only really ridden it on my Kona Hei Hei and found it a bit too "pedally" but now I've recently got my Cube e-mtb I think I'll enjoy it a lot more - in fact I may ride over there tomorrow, A lot of it drains pretty well but there are some bits that still get waterlogged eg Tanktraps. Personally, I prefer loamy type surfaces but a lot of Swinley is compacted gravelly type stuff... but it'sOK. As already said, a lot of the more interesting stuff is over at area sometimes referred to as "the clubhouse... with runs like Babymaker, Bermastic, Bikini Carwash.
Its changed a hell of a lot in the last year, watch my video above, Tank traps on its own is 90% different.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I did, cheers Surfy & some other guy on YT sessioning the red trails. I feel like the layout makes sense to me, can see you have to bash the pedally blues to get over to the red stuff. Looks like a fun day out, so might well get over soon. Has to be better than here at the moment, it's like the Somme up the locals right now.

MasterDabber

Aug 18, 2023
Surrey
Its changed a hell of a lot in the last year, watch my video above, Tank traps on its own is 90% different.
I said I might ride over to Swinley today. I wasn't sure with all the frost about but I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed it.... hardly anyone about, not much soggy stuff, and it was riding well. I just did a lap of Blue and Red... it was very helpful to get used to my new (first) e-mtb.
Swinley1.jpg

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
I said I might ride over to Swinley today. I wasn't sure with all the frost about but I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed it.... hardly anyone about, not much soggy stuff, and it was riding well. I just did a lap of Blue and Red... it was very helpful to get used to my new (first) e-mtb. View attachment 132634
That is a good looking steed (apart from the rear mudguard ;) )

Pickle1970

Oct 7, 2020
Aylesbury
Haven't been there for a few years now but would honestly say I would rather stay in bed than go back again.
Boring doesn't come close but loads of people love it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles