Suspension air pressure

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
How often does everyone here check or adjust the air PSI In their fork and shock ? I have a rail 7 with maybe 6 rides ane a little over 100 miles on rocky singletrack and it seems like my dampnig has gone off. Thanks.

Careyj1

May 6, 2020
USA
How often does everyone here check or adjust the air PSI In their fork and shock ? I have a rail 7 with maybe 6 rides ane a little over 100 miles on rocky singletrack and it seems like my dampnig has gone off. Thanks.
Good question, I do think some fork and shocks lose air pressure over time. I am going to start checking more often, like once a week to see if I am losing pressure over a week.

Iggy_BBR

Mar 28, 2020
Bronx, NY
Usually if I feel or notice the suspension being less supportive. Also the night before riding some new trail, to double check the sag points. But in general I carry a shock pump, if I need to make any changes.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Months - everything I've had just seems to hold. If I haven't ridden for a couple of months, I'll check it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Every single time I check the air pressure, it is ALWAYS lower than it should be! ALWAYS. So I don't check it, because I know that checking it lets air out and then I have to pump it back up again, which is hard work on a shock!

So I check the %sag instead. If that's OK, I leave the psi alone for another week/month/whatever. :)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Every single time I check the air pressure, it is ALWAYS lower than it should be! ALWAYS. So I don't check it, because I know that checking it lets air out and then I have to pump it back up again, which is hard work on a shock!

So I check the %sag instead. If that's OK, I leave the psi alone for another week/month/whatever. :)
Yep I agree. Every time we connect the pump, a small amount of air pressure escapes to fill up the pump hose, before the pressure gauge gets activated. Then we have to pump that air back in - just to restore the shock pressure to where it was before. Checking the SAG is the correct way as you mentioned.

Checking car or bike tyres aren’t as affected because those have large volumes of air.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yep I agree. Every time we connect the pump, a small amount of air pressure escapes to fill up the pump hose, before the pressure gauge gets activated. Then we have to pump that air back in - just to restore the shock pressure to where it was before. Checking the SAG is the correct way as you mentioned.

Checking car or bike tyres aren’t as affected because those have large volumes of air.
There is usually a minor change with my tyres (1 or 2psi) - literally due to what the temperature is for that day.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles