Surprised by changing flip chip on my Trance X1

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
Since I picked up my X1 about 1.5 yr ago its has been in the low setting and steeper head angle. I've enjoyed the ride so much but thought I'd swap it back to high using the flip chip to see how it goes - especially because of the on going rock hitting with pedals.

Today's ride felt kinda weird. The front was way less twitchy and the ups found me hardly needing to weight the front. Steering seemed to be more chill over all too.... until I got unto speed over technical terrain. At this point it felt like the bike was under suspended. Weird I thought given the travel is the same.

One huge positive was I hardly had and pedal strikes which considering the minor adjustment in height was very surprising. But i've flipped the chip back to low because it makes the bike feel like so much fun and more suited to the tech trails that I ride here in Christchurch New Zealand.

I've got some 145mm cranks landing this week and once swapping out the 165mm ones that came with the bike I'm now confident they will make a huge difference to the ongoing pedal striking.

But yes, I was so surprised how such a minor change to the head angle can change how the bike feels and rides. Maybe I was a bit of a non believer and thought it was all marketing BS. But I was wrong. Mind bending what a cm or two can do!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Isn't the HTA steeper in high setting, and more slack in low?
yep..............Flip chip high makes both seat tube and head tube angles steeper and raises the BB. This should be the best setting for climbing and tech terrain........better steering control, less pedal strikes, front end more planted when climbing. The low position lowers the BB and slackens the seat and head tube angles. This setting should feel better for fast gravity riding being more stable and slower steering.
I would suggest the BB change is probably the most influencial change on the Giant since the seat tube/head angle changes are pretty small. Lowering the centre of gravity of the bike makes a bike far more stable on fast runs.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
yep..............Flip chip high makes both seat tube and head tube angles steeper and raises the BB. This should be the best setting for climbing and tech terrain........better steering control, less pedal strikes, front end more planted when climbing. The low position lowers the BB and slackens the seat and head tube angles. This setting should feel better for fast gravity riding being more stable and slower steering.
I would suggest the BB change is probably the most influencial change on the Giant since the seat tube/head angle changes are pretty small. Lowering the centre of gravity of the bike makes a bike far more stable on fast runs.
Yes spot on! Amazing how much the characteristics of the ride changes. The slacker setting is way more fun. Sacrifice some front end stability but after trying both I prefer it. Makes the bike fun to ride!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles