Support via Patreon

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all,

Firstly a huge thank you to all for making this place the best ebike community in the world ??

Secondly, a massive thank you to all my Patreons, who financially support the site / YouTube stuff. Without it I’d really struggle to make thinks work out long term.

It really helps keep everything independent.

If you are able to support via Patreon, it’s $3 a month. You’ll get some small benefits, like an Ad free forum here, and most of my YouTube videos go up a little earlier on Patreon too.

Every little really does help - I’m not a big dog... just a small independent one man band in amongst some big players in the publishing industry ?

If you would like to, the link is here:

Rob Rides EMTB is creating EMTB Content | Patreon

Thanks,
Rob.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
£3 a month guys is a pittance, if you enjoy this forum and associated videos, i just see it as buying Rob a coffee a month.
Really nothing for all the good work he is doing.
Imagine if it stopped ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
If your watching his vids and using the forum imagine what you would pay for other forms of entertainment! He's a legend and it's the best money I spend a month (besides the electricity for charging my bike !!)

:)

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
I support Rob by watching his vids and visiting some of the ads. He is also richer than me and rides a 6k bike so he must be doing alright.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The insinuation of how you wrote your post is that he rides a nice bike, clearly has a lot of cash, and why would I bother supporting him.

Now that may not be what you meant but that’s what it looks like.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
The insinuation of how you wrote your post is that he rides a nice bike, clearly has a lot of cash, and why would I bother supporting him.

Now that may not be what you meant but that’s what it looks like.
But I would also be supporting Patreon, another entity with more cash than me. I support Rob through checking out the ads and watching his vids and any merchandise I might purchase in the future ?.. I support Rob but not Patreon.. sorry. And yeah, was just stating the obvious that Rob is not skint.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
But I would also be supporting Patreon, another entity with more cash than me. I support Rob through checking out the ads and watching his vids and any merchandise I might purchase in the future ?.. I support Rob but not Patreon.. sorry. And yeah, was just stating the obvious that Rob is not skint.
My builder has a nicer car than me, but when he built me a wall I still paid him.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I don’t think you can disagree Rob works really hard to bring you something you enjoy consuming. If you can support him further and your financial situation means that’s cool then great :) If not, then just being here is awesome. I don’t think anyone is saying you should feel less than for not supporting him via Patreon.

He’s quit his job to follow his dream and taken a risk. Hats off to him! I watch all of his videos use this forum and have met some lifelong friends thanks to him.

Jeff Bezos has a slightly nicer house than me, but I still buy from Amazon. He provides a service I find useful so I don’t mind paying. However, I doubt he’d be able to buy any better bike than is available on the market now so comparing bikes as an indicator of wealth doesn’t really wash..! I’ve sunk a lot into my own bike but then I use it so often and it brings me so much joy I don’t begrudge the cost of it even if on the surface it seems like ‘I’m loaded as I have that bike’. I’m really not! Many I know have made quite a financial commitment to buy their bikes.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Thanks all,

Patreon takes a 5% cut :), creators receive 95%. Its a really good way of creators making some crowdfunded money in order to be able to sustain what they do.

In terms of YouTube ads, for a vid with around 10,000 views, it will pay approximately £10. That would have taken between 1 and 3 days to film / edit depending on what it is, (around 20-30 hours, bike reviews even longer) Unless you're a YouTuber delivering millions of views per video its never going to be a way of making a living :)

Certainly there is never any expectation for folks to donate at all, I've made it my full time job and on my head be it if it fails!! But you won't believe how much of a difference the Patron donations make... 100% of it all gets reinvested into the site, software, hardware, and YouTube vids.

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Thanks all,

Patreon takes a 5% cut :), creators receive 95%. Its a really good way of creators making some crowdfunded money in order to be able to sustain what they do.

In terms of YouTube ads, for a vid with around 10,000 views, it will pay approximately £10. That would have taken between 1 and 3 days to film / edit depending on what it is, (around 20-30 hours, bike reviews even longer) Unless you're a YouTuber delivering millions of views per video its never going to be a way of making a living :)

Certainly there is never any expectation for folks to donate at all, I've made it my full time job and on my head be it if it fails!! But you won't believe how much of a difference the Patron donations make... 100% of it all gets reinvested into the site, software, hardware, and YouTube vids.
I know it's your full time now job and editing and making vids takes a lot of time. It's not that I'm tight I just hate patreon "cos it seems the future of youtube will be where only previews will be available to watch unless a patron. I will have a think about it later.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its a difficult one, because the main way we can directly support the Forum, and Rob, is by buying merchandise - however for Rob to order the forum jerseys etc involves a big upfront payout on his part, with the risk of not selling the stuff - I won't mention figures but we are talking about thousands of pounds.

If you want to help, but don't want to donate, buying a t-shirt, jersey or hat goes a long way with helping the Forum. I know there are lots of products Rob would like to offer, but the financial outlay upfront is crazy - e.g we talked about getting some marsh guard style front mudguards done with the Forum logo, but the minimum order for them was super high, as was the cost, meaning despite it being a really good product that a lot of us would buy, it was just too much. Also Rob is a stickler for quality - the current Forum jerseys are hands down the best put together and though out jersey I have ever had - meaning he doesn't want to just see any old crap, but wants to make sure we are getting quality products.

Patreon is the best way of helping out on a regular basis at the moment, sure its a monitised platform and someone down the line is taking their 5%, but its the best current solution. I have some mates who make podcasts, some of which are very niche, and the only way they can do it (and by that I mean not make money, but afford to get the right equipment, and travel around to do interviews) is via Patreon.

Its also not just helping out Rob, but all of us who are involved/participate in and on the website - I am an ardent promoter of the site when out and about, and I am guessing probably posted more crap on here than anyone else, but it is such a good resource now for information on what is a very new sector of MTB, the industry takes is seriously, and we have had the likes of Specilized, Intense, Ergon etc on here participating, but more than anything its one of those rare Forums where its as much about getting together in the real world as on line, and helping Rob run it helps the like of myself, and others who put time into participating on here organise get togethers, make sure the Forum continues to grow as a welcoming place, and also stay on top of all the information that seems to get more and more each day about EMTB.

Last edited:

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom
Thanks all,

What I dont understand is how the heck you're making a living from this all. I mean you cant be making more than a grand a month from the ads, patreon etc so after all the outlay of merchandise the profit must be near on negligible. I hope the emtb community grows and you reap the rewards for your hard work and enthusiasm but damn I would at least have another job just in case someone invents a hover board or something. I will probs buy some merchandise anyway to show my support to Rob and the likes of R120 whose helpful posts have helped me buy a bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles