Super Delux Ultimate Shock Tuning with Shockwiz

dixie600mhz

Oct 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I'm using a shockwiz to try to tune my 9.8XT rear shock. It comes with the super delux ultimate through shaft model similar but not identical to the stock SRAM model here.

At 215psi it suggests add air and remove spacer. At 220psi it suggests remove air and slow down rebound. I'm having a hard time getting this shock to feel good or hit recommended targets.

I have the compression all the way open and the rebound all the way closed but fiddling tells me to keep going softer on compression and firmer on rebound where I can't.

Anybody else have advice with this shock? I know this is easy to check but do you know if the 9.8XT comes with spacers already fitted?

ShockWiz.jpg

shockwiz2.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
  1. Throw shockwiz away.
  2. Read first post in suspension tuning thread
  3. Set up your shock properly.
Don't be tempted to listen to the advice given in the first reply to that thread. ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was looking forward eagerly to trying a borrowed Shockwiz. Summary is that after two weeks of testing, I was disappointed. Easy to fit, hard to set up solo, occasional conflicting results (but not many). Net change from what I had before was minimal.

If you are totally shite at setting up, then a Shockwiz will help, otherwise save your money.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
I agree with Steve, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at setting suspension up but borrowed a shockwiz for a couple of days just to see what it would say. It didn't go very well, I spent most of my time chasing my tail and the suggested improvements only made the bike feel worse!

There aren't any volume reducers in the Super deluxe thrushaft shock (at least mine didn't have any) and it does ramp up pretty well without them. I've had to run rebound one click slower than where I'd like to get the bike to settle, which is #2 on the dial. I'm running 245 psi @ 30% sag. It feels ok, but the bike feels dead and it packs slightly on repeated hits, but rather that than it wallowing all over the place.

When I'm bored enough I'll swap out the fluid for something thicker so I can open up the adjusters a bit...

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
I’ve just purchased a Trek 9.8XT and I’ve found their baseline recommendations, a great starting point. These bikes handle very nice btw.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles