Super cheap gravel bike build - advice appreciated

Sparkomatic

Dec 22, 2021
Lincolnshire
Hi all!

I'm currently in the process of building a super cheap gravel bike ready for the summer but need some advice as I've never been into or really even ridden any more road orientated drop-bar bikes.

So far I've got nearly everything I need however I'm struggling with which brake/gear levers to go for? I'm thinking either Microshift or L-Twoo from Aliexpress. The L-Twoo GRT 1x12 is currently just £160 for levers, derailleur and even a pair of flat mount callipers (hydraulic). Basically is there any reason I shouldn't get these? Anything Shimano/Sram etc seems to be like £1000 for a groupset that doesn't even include brake calipers!?

Thanks in advance

Edit for anyone interested here's what I've got so far;

-Frame: Pinnacle Pyrolite One, cost £50 (new!) with a decent FSA headset and a pair of alloy 15x100 bolt through forks
-Forks: Merlin gravel specific carbon fibre QR forks, cost was about £35 posted (used). These cost less than what a 15x100 wheel was going to cost and should perform better than the alloy forks (and are lighter).
-Wheels: Prolite MDX 27.5/650B, £75, new
-Tyres: WTB Horizon Tubeless ready 650x47 about £15 delivered for the pair, new
-Bars: undecided
-Saddle, seatpost, stem, crankset etc will be made up of parts I have laying around already

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles