Summer tyres for your 29" Levo?

CourtIOW

Dec 23, 2019
Isle of Wight
Evening all

I would like to change my tyres (2.6 dhf on front and original 2.6 butcher on rear) on my 2019 Levo to something faster rolling for the summer months.
Mainly for xc type miles, will swap back if go a bikepark or anything like that.

I know maxxis are bringing out a new wide trail/cc range of tyres but doesn't seem like until about August time.

So has anyone put faster rolling stuff on theirs yet, and if so what?

I been looking at the Maxxis ardent race for rear and std ardent for front, but these only come in a 2.25 for std and 2.35 for the race version, these going to fit ok?

Recommend anything better?

Thanks again all
Paul

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
I have ridden on Continental RaceKings for years and they work well for the type of trails I ride so I got a set for my SL. They are fast on dry hardpack, not so good in mud. Although mine are 27.5 x 2.2 there are 29 versions too.

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
I’m using a pair of Maxxis Minion SS DH on my bike as my ‘XC’ tyres, albeit in 27.5”.

I find them much faster rolling than the Maxxis DHR/DHF combo I had on, I’ve got a spare set of wheels so can switch between them easily enough.

I went for the 2.50 width, which only come in wired versions unfortunately, so a bit weightier than a folding tyre, but on an EMTB I don’t find that so much of an issue.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
2.6 ikon front
i have 2.35 ardent race on back, i like it but it may be a bit thin
rekon is another good rear

CourtIOW

Dec 23, 2019
Isle of Wight
I’m using a pair of Maxxis Minion SS DH on my bike as my ‘XC’ tyres, albeit in 27.5”.

I find them much faster rolling than the Maxxis DHR/DHF combo I had on, I’ve got a spare set of wheels so can switch between them easily enough.

I went for the 2.50 width, which only come in wired versions unfortunately, so a bit weightier than a folding tyre, but on an EMTB I don’t find that so much of an issue.
That's good but cant find a 2.5 anywhere? Find some 2.35.

CourtIOW

Dec 23, 2019
Isle of Wight
2.6 ikon front
i have 2.35 ardent race on back, i like it but it may be a bit thin
rekon is another good rear
Great thanks, will take a gander. So you getting on ok with the 2.35 on the rear, does it sit on the rim ok? Definitely wouldn't go with a 2.35 on front also?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Focus came with 29x2.6 Maxxis Rekons, 3C on the front 1C on the rear. They are indeed light and fast rolling. But I bought the bike in Jan last year and I was spinning out trying to climb out of bomb holes etc. I swapped them out for Maxxis 29x2.5 DHR II 3C (and a load of other letters) which have been fantastic. But now in lockdown the trails I can access are limited and I need something lighter. So I'm about to put the Rekons back on!

Rip7

Nov 9, 2018
Worksop
I went for continental trail king 2.4 they roll a lot better and put over 100 mile on them this week no issues and managed to get em from bike discount for £45 delivered for pair they seem to have put price up since though

Chaindog

Nov 20, 2018
Germany
Vittoria Mezcal in 2,2

20200321_131648.jpg

croz

Apr 14, 2020
Central FL
I replaced the Butcher's with Spesh Purgatory 2.3's and couldn't be happier. 2.6 wide is just way more tire than I need. I'm also rolling on Panaracer Gravel King 50mm's for gravel rides with the bro's.

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
love these mezcal running at 10% now they roll so good , need to go tubeless that's next job

croz

Apr 14, 2020
Central FL
It's strange that IMO over here in the states we all ride Vittoria's on the road but no one runs Vittoria on their MTB's. I've always thought the Mezcal's with the tan sidewalls looked awesome but I wouldn't know where to buy them. Yet we can get Maxxis and Schwalbe's everywhere.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
I have a pair of Vittoria Agarro's sitting on the bench, waiting for more trails to dry out before going on. Although to be honest for the riding I've been able to do so far this spring the OEM tires (set up tubeless) have been fine, although a relatively heavy.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles