Sucking sound on rebound?

Ddub

May 24, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
My new Reign E+2 with Fox 36 Rhythm fork is making a sucking noise after I hit a decent tree root or bump, not on the compression hit but on the rebound stroke. Does anyone know what is causing it and is it something to worry about?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
It should be normal (unless it's something else ;)). It's the sound that hydraulic oil makes as it surges through the tiny jet holes in your rebound circuit. Most forks make this sound, if it's the sound I'm thinking of.

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
Completely normal. The fitgrip damper isn’t the quietest one around but it’s a good performer and reliable as an old boot.

slippery pete

Oct 29, 2019
Scotland
As above... But if it does it too much it may be that you have too much rebound damping dialled in. It is usually the noise of the shim stack opening rather than the port orifice. If slow speed events activate the high speed circuit excessively that is an incorrect adjustment.

By contrast if the fork never made that noise it would also be an incorrect adjustment

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My Rockshox fork did that when new but not so much after a couple hundred miles or so, my Fox on another bike has always been really quiet...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles