Successfully adding an Exposure Fuse front light to Sommet Shimano EP8 and the need for STunlocker

mrkbutty

Apr 21, 2021
UK
Thought I'd share my very recent experience of carrying out this procedure.

Feeding the cable through wasn't too much trouble: Removed battery and mounts and used a tool made out of a cable tie.

Connected the Fuse light as expected red to positive and black to negative behind the non-drive side cover.

Re-assembled but it didn't work!

After a bit of research I found that I needed to switch the light on in firmware and the catch is that you need £150 shimano cabling to use the eTube windows app.

So thanks to @vadll putting up with my stupid questions I eventually downgraded the EP8 from 4.1.4 to 4.0.2 using his instructions. They worked a treat.

Then turning on the light in STunlocker was a snip. Brilliant tool @vadll, thanks again.

Note I used the on instead of the always on because I read somewhere that the EP8 works out the light power draw and reserves some last battery power stopping the motor if running out. Using On allows me to set the light on/off using the menu on the EP8 heads up. It also remembers the light state between powering bike on off.

I have since upgraded back to 4.1.4 and everything still works.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to add lights as there is not much information out there.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles