Sub 46lb eMTB by LaMere

lamerecycles

Apr 10, 2019
Minneapolis
We just put this sub 46lb eMTB out the door here and its an XL with a Lyric and the bigger 630wh Shimano battery. Oh man we are going to miss the external battery frames so much lighter and easier to swap batteries on.... we know they don't look as cool...... but would like to get feedback from the forum here does everyone really just not the look of the lighter external battery frames should we scrap them or keep them?

Diode Richards (1).jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Looks absolutely fine bar the gash tyre choice. ;)
And a way better looking bike than plenty 2021 55lb huge down tube monstrosities around now.
I guess that's 46lb WITHOUT pedals?
Oooooohhh... You naughty naughty... ?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I lament the passing of external battery frame options, aside from the ease of charging/swapping out batteries most had better weight placement and handling than internal battery bikes, and were lighter too.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
What's the cost of a build like that? And to answer your question I like external batteries for the convenience.... I think the only reason they are going internal is for looks.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
Uk based.

I prefer external/easy swap/lockable battery. I won’t buy an integrated battery bike.

lockable - want to be able to stop for coffee/meals etc en route., bike gets locked, preferably within sight but not always possible. Don’t really want it falling out either.

removeable - bike lighter to lift onto motorhome, battery can be charged inside when hooked up. Hotel/self catering - bike in car, battery charging inside for the next day. Option of carrying a spare.

but I’m an old school xc, so somewhat jaded by marketing claims and sales glitz, use maps, go somewhere new, pick a route and just enjoy exploring rider so I don’t think I’m typical of the market.

Last edited:

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Great looking bike! I think it’s clear the general emtb population doesn’t like external batteries, despite their apparent advantages. Specialized, Trek etc. would have done their consumer research.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles