Stuck Shimano motor

Rock Storm

Jul 3, 2020
Bristol
Hey, I have a Vitus E Sommet (3 months old). I’ve undone all 6 t40 Bolts, the plastic bash at both ends, taken the chainring and chain off as well as undoing the chain guide and I can only get the motor to move an inch. Pretty much done my back in trying to get it out and I’ve done as much prising with a rag covered flat blade as I can bare. I don’t fancy jumping on the cranks which would potentially result in the motor coming loose and pulling all the wires out and breaking the thing. Anyone else had this? Am I missing something? Any tips? Just trying to get the motor out to check the wiring and clean it all out. Cheers

Rock Storm

Jul 3, 2020
Bristol
I’ve finally got the motor out after putting it off for months. It appears that the washers are protruding too much which make the motor tight as. I’ve tried hammering them in and out and even a clamp to budge the forward one but no luck. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas as to how to get the motor to go back in easily as I’ve been pulling my hair out! Cheers

A74DEA90-C50F-4BD4-A8AD-A3D439245037.jpeg

7B6304BF-8BAA-4285-A6C0-2ED068592EDA.jpeg

Gster1954

Apr 17, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
I’ve finally got the motor out after putting it off for months. It appears that the washers are protruding too much which make the motor tight as. I’ve tried hammering them in and out and even a clamp to budge the forward one but no luck. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas as to how to get the motor to go back in easily as I’ve been pulling my hair out! Cheers

View attachment 52279

View attachment 52280

Gster1954

Apr 17, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Thank you posting this. I believe I have the exact same issue. I have pulled the Shimano Steps motors (e8000s, e7000s, e5000s) off several other bikes with no issues. However, today I tried to pull off an e8000 and, similar to you, after removal of all six engine bolts the motor remained stuck in the frame. I can get it to sort of wobble around a bit (maybe 1 to 2 mm), but it appears hung on something at the middle bolt mount. My guess is that the "washer" is protruding and catching on the lip of the mount someway. I have several theories, but, at this point no answers. I am researching the issue and, if and when I find an answer, I will update this post. Also, if you found anything, I would love to hear about it either via this post or from a message. Again, thank you for posting this.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles