strap-on trunk/tailgate bike rack suitable for one 50+ lb ebike?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I'm planning on investing in a hitch and rack down the road, but in the meantime looking for a strap-on rack suitable for a single bike (Trek Rail 5). 90% of my rides originate at my front door, and when I do have to transport the bike it fits inside my SUV with the front wheel off, but I'm looking for an economical rack I can strap the the back of an SUV that will fit just the one bike. I've got an old Thule rack whose fitment doesn't quite work (on an '11 Mercedes M-Class).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mark

Quinterly

Apr 22, 2020
Vancouver
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find anything that will carry more than a 35lb bike and even with the battery removed, the Rail is probably closer to 45lb if not a bit more.

I do know people claim to be using trunk racks, but the risk you're taking of damaging the bike, damaging your car, or causing a major accident behind you if you're at highway speed and have failure doesn't seem worth it..

GDS

Feb 23, 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm planning on investing in a hitch and rack down the road, but in the meantime looking for a strap-on rack suitable for a single bike (Trek Rail 5). 90% of my rides originate at my front door, and when I do have to transport the bike it fits inside my SUV with the front wheel off, but I'm looking for an economical rack I can strap the the back of an SUV that will fit just the one bike. I've got an old Thule rack whose fitment doesn't quite work (on an '11 Mercedes M-Class).

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mark
I carry two Specialized e-mtb's (50lbs each) on my Yakima hitch rack. I don't think you'll find a strap on rack that can carry your Trek safely.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I carry two Specialized e-mtb's (50lbs each) on my Yakima hitch rack. I don't think you'll find a strap on rack that can carry your Trek safely.

I ended up finding a Küat NV2 on Craigslist, a hitch at etrailer, and the hitch installed, all for under $1k.

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
I have a Yakima 3-bike strap-on rack. I don't see why there is a concern with carrying 1 50lb bike vs 3 25lb bikes.

You’re right, and for one heavy bike those Yakima 3-bike racks look suitable. I opted to ride it out - literally - until I could get a hitch rack. I’m a mile from GGNRA, almost all my rides start from home. That said, looking forward to using the rack for the bike’s first road trip, a week just outside of a state park well-known for its mt biking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles