Stange problem - Battery failure

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
I thought I would post this here in case anyone else gets it and can learn from it.

I got back from a ride all normal and put my bike on charge (battery in bike).

When I went to get it out the next day the red led on the charger is flashing( never seen before). Unplugged it and pressed the on button on the bike. It appeared to boot as normal but when it got to the main screen the display went blank. I had to remove the battery to get it to try again, same result.

Plugging the battery into the charger with it in the bike gave the flashing red LED, out of the bike all seemed normal with the charging and the battery showed full charge on the battery indicator.

I checked and cleaned all connections but no difference. I swapped the display with one from another bike, same problem. When I swapped the display back the bike would not start at all . I took the battery out and it is completely dead, the charger does not even see it now.

So it looks like the initial problem was caused by a battery about to fail and the failure mode seems to indicate that the system thought it was a non-approved battery. This makes sense if the battery electronics were failing.

Bike just over 1 year old and done 3500 approx KM. Warranty claim sent to YT . I will update as things progress.

-Sven-

Jul 1, 2020
Teeside, North East, England
Sorry to hear about the charging issue. I've read a post on the YT group mentioning random noises and flashing lights from their chargers. Not promising reading for someone currently waiting on his Decoy:oops:. The updates from YT Germany are none existent I had a receipt back in May since then it's only been replies to emails I sent. i'm Starting to think i might be cancelling my order as the customer service is appalling out of Germany HQ.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Sorry to hear about the charging issue. I've read a post on the YT group mentioning random noises and flashing lights from their chargers. Not promising reading for someone currently waiting on his Decoy:oops:. The updates from YT Germany are none existent I had a receipt back in May since then it's only been replies to emails I sent. i'm Starting to think i might be cancelling my order as the customer service is appalling out of Germany HQ.

The bike is fantastic to ride and a good price , but you do have to accept the limitations of YT support. On the positive side I had a motor problem and Shimano in the UK replaced it via my local dealer. I might consider a LBS for the next EBike however just to make life simpler.

You do need to accept that Ebike technology is new on MTBs and you should expect problems. Many do not have problems of course.

My problem is not charger but battery.

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
A little update. YT said they needed the battery back but due to shipping regulations I have to send the battery back installed in the bike. I checked the regulations for battery shipping and this is in fact true !!! So the bike is back with YT.

I did ask how they will ship a spare battery if/when I buy one but did not get an answer.

Hale_Storming

Oct 14, 2020
Munich, Germany
A little update. YT said they needed the battery back but due to shipping regulations I have to send the battery back installed in the bike. I checked the regulations for battery shipping and this is in fact true !!! So the bike is back with YT.

I did ask how they will ship a spare battery if/when I buy one but did not get an answer.
Hi Lee

How are you getting on with resolving your battery problem?

Lee Dove

Oct 12, 2018
Scotland
Hi Lee

How are you getting on with resolving your battery problem?
Hi,
They replaced the battery and I bought a second one. No problems (in 2 years) with either so it seems like an oddball early battery issue. It was one of the first shipped. Bike done 20k kms now mainly Enduro tracks with only normal wear and tear.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles