Stainless chain rings

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I’m coming up short trying to find an OEM replacement chainring (SRAM 36t Xsync Eagle 104BCD) for my Trance in the UK. The Praxis eRing Steel Mountain looks to be just the ticket, but I can’t find one of them either. So, a lack of patience and an excess of Pinot Grigio has led me to order a Surly Stainless Chainring.
Should be OK? Or shall I add it, unused, to the large box of items labelled ‘probably shouldn’t have bought that but it may come in handy one day’?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
it should work fine but not having narrow wide tooth design won't retain the chain quite as securely.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Thanks @Gary. There’s an MRP thingy that sits above the chainring, will that offset the lack of fat/thin teeth?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks @Gary. There’s an MRP thingy that sits above the chainring, will that offset the lack of fat/thin teeth?
Yes. I thinkyou'll be fine
A top chain guide combined with the taller teeth on the surly ring should do a pretty good job of retaining the chain.
Ebike chainrings not rotating backwards while riding choppy ground helps with chain retention on the lower chainring as well.

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Yes. I thinkyou'll be fine
A top chain guide combined with the taller teeth on the surly ring should do a pretty good job of retaining the chain.
Ebike chainrings not rotating backwards while riding choppy ground helps with chain retention on the lower chainring as well.

Marvellous. Thank you for your input @Gary .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles