• Other brakes

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • Other drivetrain

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
So I'm just curious what everyone's opinions are on SRAM and Shimano.
Personally I find srams drivetrain nigh on indestructible (at least the nx is) I've put that through hell on multiple bikes. However I much prefer the feel, look and simplicity of Shimano brakes.

Trp gets a special mention cos I loved their brakes but price and part availability means I don't run them

RiderOnTheStorm

I've been using shimano on the transmission side for many years on my analog Trek 8000 mtb. More recently started using Sram on my eMTBs. Running NX and GX derailleurs/cassette but always with XX1 chains. Very happy with the setup, reliable and quiet. Really like the Single Click shifter design, great for emtb use, and the derailleur lockout mode is useful when removing the wheel.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
My e-mtb came with the SRAM Code R brakes instead of Shimano brakes due to parts shortages.

The brakes are strong but I am not used to them feeling “spongy” and they seem to squeal a lot too…

beanzz

Feb 7, 2023
United Kingdom
My e-mtb came with the SRAM Code R brakes instead of Shimano brakes due to parts shortages.

The brakes are strong but I am not used to them feeling “spongy” and they seem to squeal a lot too…
Same here, I'm thinking about switching but idk if I can be arsed😂

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Shimano and Fox rather than anything from sram. When I buy a new bike, the first thing I do is ditch the 12 speed parts and install XT 11sp drivetrain. Last year I bought a Rail and the spec Shimano brakes were swapped with sram brakes as a production substitution (supply issues). I refused to build that bike and it is still sitting in a box in my garage.

I did like the ESP derailleur and 1:1 shifter when it came out in '96. It was an improvement over X-ray paired with an XT derailleur (and all of the bandaids we put on that setup).

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
Shimano and Fox rather than anything from sram. When I buy a new bike, the first thing I do is ditch the 12 speed parts and install XT 11sp drivetrain. Last year I bought a Rail and the spec Shimano brakes were swapped with sram brakes as a production substitution (supply issues). I refused to build that bike and it is still sitting in a box in my garage.

I did like the ESP derailleur and 1:1 shifter when it came out in '96. It was an improvement over X-ray paired with an XT derailleur (and all of the bandaids we put on that setup).
I've had 11 speed xt on my old bike. Never again. Had such a bad experience with it. I think shimano 12 speed shift so much faster, smoother and quieter

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I've had 11 speed xt on my old bike. Never again. Had such a bad experience with it. I think shimano 12 speed shift so much faster, smoother and quieter
I can understand not liking something after a bad experience, that is how I feel about everything sram.

I find XT 11sp much easier to adjust than any 12 speed system. It lasts longer, and it is cheaper. The cassette options are also very important to me. I can run road cassettes e.g. 12-28 to 11-34, or mtb 11-40 to 11-46. I see no reason to run anything larger than 46t on an ebike.

Andy__C

Apr 11, 2020
South Wales
Shimano fans over here!

I have both on the separate bikes. SRAM on the Levo, Shimano on the Cannondale HT. Had Shimano on the old stumpjumper before the Levo.

I genuinely don't care between then all. Press a button - the gear shifts. Pull a Lever, the bike slows or stops!

Of course there is a different feel between them all but I've never found it a " can't handle that lever feel/shifter button press - must change asap" kind of difference.

Voted SRAM overall as I really like my Levo 😚

SRAM brakes are a pita to bleed to a propper result though. I've given up on the levo and get the shop to do it l.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
My boy's analogue Trance has Shimano SLX 11sp drivetrain/single pot brakes (200mm discs).
My Haibike has SRAM SX 12sp/Magura MT5

I can't say anything bad about either bike, both are very good, in fact I would say the basic brakes on the Trance when combined with bigger discs are waay better than the spec would suggest and the lever feel is as good as the MT5's IMO. Shimanos bleed easy too. I think Shimano brakes and drivetrains are just good all round in general, having had various setups from them. The Trance also shifts just as well as my 12sp SRAM.

Never had SRAM brakes though, only through chance. I do hear a lot about bleeding problems though. That said I've heard issues with Magura bleeding too but I've never had to touch mine since buying the bike 2 years ago.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
SRAM AXS drivetrains are hard to beat considering you have the money, I don't think I'll go back to cable. Shimano has no answer for it...

I'm also really happy with SRAM Code RSCs, but all other SRAM brakes are trash. Most people that didn't get along with SRAM brakes were running lower end stuff like Code Rs which are just a spongy mess.

I just can't get along with the on/off feel of Shimano brakes, feel like I can't control them 100%.

Tony4wd

Subscriber
Aug 3, 2022
Australia
SRAM AXS drivetrains are hard to beat considering you have the money, I don't think I'll go back to cable. Shimano has no answer for it...
On the other hand, Shimano doesn't need an answer for it since their cable setups work very nicely.

I've got AXS on the Cube with SRAM drivetrain because I got sick of constantly fiddling with the gears to get all of them running smoothly. The Shimano 12 speed on the Rise H30 works so well I wouldn't bother putting an AXS GX kit on it (even though I have another AXS in the spares cupboard)

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
After two clutch failures due to water ingress in recent years, I prefer Sram derailleurs to Shimano. Sram's simple lockout mechanism is far superior to Shimano's over engineered and flimsy solution.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Just an update, as I’ve had more time on my Code R brakes and my LBS fixed the “SRAM turkey gobble” sound that I constantly heard when braking.

I also slightly improved the brake lever position when I cut down my handlebar.

While I still love, love Shimano XT (on my other bike), I am now used to how my Code R’s feel and absolutely love how confidence inspiring and consistent these powerful brakes are.

Since the Shimano & Sram brakes feel quite different from each other, I didn’t think I could love them both. But I’m quite impressed with my Codes now, so just wanted to update my initial impressions.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
I'm 'other brakes' in the shape of Hope T4 V4. But outwith my Hope addiction, high end shimano are really good. It's just a shame about the shimano leak issue. So makes them kind of hit or miss as to what you get

Reactions: Dax

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Sram drivetrain & Magura brakes also remove all Fox suspension usually buy frames so don’t have that worry but otherwise bottom spec ebike & replaced to my chosen stuff I had already

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
It’s complicated?

I really like the double click when changing down on shimano drivetrains, miss it wherever I swap back to SRAM, but two of my bikes have sram 12sp and it works great. Buying today it would probably be axs.

I run saints on my mtb and code r’s on my e-bikes, the power and heat tolerance of the saints is perfect in the alps but massive overkill in the uk, where I prefer the modulation of the codes. After a week of big descents in the alps, my saints are the only ones that haven’t had heat issues, mate’s with codes and guides have boiled them, and a code rsc (which are utter dangerous junk) failed completely and he just bought hope t4 v4, which seems perfect so far.

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Brake Lever/master cyl:- Shimano Saint
Caliper:- Magura MT7 Pro
Transmission:- SRAM GX AXS with upgraded Shifter buttons (burliest of them all!)
Chain:- SRAM XX1 Gold (waxed - Molton Speed Waxed)
Chainring: Hope 36T
Cranks: Hope E-Bike 155mm

This is an absolute winning combo (after many £££££ of experimenting)

D3115C43-939B-4BC8-A87C-5B9384A0B6BB.jpeg

Syelad

Jul 14, 2023
Skipton
I have sram gx axs on my levo but took a Pivot Shuttle SL out at the weekend with shimano XT and SLX and have to say the shifting was awesome, so smooth and quiet. I’ve not ridden with Shimano for years, based on that ride I’d convert from axs.

Feb 27, 2023
Teesside UK
Tend to go for Shimano drivetrain. Had XT on my analogue bike for 8 years and other than wear and tear its never missed a beat.

Usually end up with Hope brakes, even have their RX calipers on my road bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles