Spoke tension meter

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Any experiences/thoughts/comments on spoke tension meters?

I know that some people with golden ears can hear the correct sound but I'm interested in more practical way of measuring at least the correct relative tension.

Quick look from internet:
  1. PARK TOOL TM-1 spoke tension meter 94 EUR
  2. ICETOOLZ Spoke Tension Meter 415 EUR
  3. DT Swiss Spoke Tension Meter Tensio Digital 1042 EUR
  4. ZTTO spoke tension meter digital 50 EUR

Park Tool

81f6ssSMuNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
DT Swiss analog
38206-00-d-61197.jpg
DT Swiss digital
59252-00-d-94755.jpg
ICETOOLZ
icetoolz-xpert-spoke-tension-meter-e381-analogue-from-18-bl-1188-en-G.jpg
ZTTO digital
Hc9cc99edc0f04acfbcdf8b1c4b2181b4V.jpg

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Any experiences/thoughts/comments on spoke tension meters?

I know that some people with golden ears can hear the correct sound but I'm interested in more practical way of measuring at least the correct relative tension.

Quick look from internet:
  1. PARK TOOL TM-1 spoke tension meter 94 EUR
  2. ICETOOLZ Spoke Tension Meter 415 EUR
  3. DT Swiss Spoke Tension Meter Tensio Digital 1042 EUR
  4. ZTTO spoke tension meter digital 50 EUR
View attachment 56104 View attachment 56103 View attachment 56102 View attachment 56101
I’ve always wondered if I have a couple of loose spokes. I can generally check for looseness but I can’t accurately check for specific tension even though I have a wrench. I suppose I could really screw things up if I relied on feel alone. Those prices though …

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
Probably one of the worst ways to tension spokes but I do it by ear and if the wheel has a wobble, by run-out. A properly tensioned spoke has a nice "ping" sound when struck by business end of a long flat blade screwdriver.
-
If you're AR or a racer/pro, a proper torque wrench is the right way...

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
None of the above. I've built dozens of wheels and have never used a tensiometer, even though I have one. It really is mostly "feel" and knowing whether the wheel is symmetric or asymmetric, whether I'm using butted or straight gauge spokes, and so on.

Particularly if you're simply replacing a broken spoke, you don't need a tensiometer. As long as it is the same spoke/nipple, use the nipple/threads as a guide to get close on tensioning by matching the # of exposed threads (if any) as a starting point. Then true the wheel.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
Let me rephrase myself: Has anyone ever bought one and what were the experiences?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying here that one necessarily needs such a tool, I'm more interested on how well they work/don't work - what are the pros and cons.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve seen a park tool app where you input the tensions of each spoke and the app shows you graphically which ones need to be tightened or loosened. There is an 18 minute video showing how it’s done but here is the shorter 2 min version...

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
I bought a 30 quid meter from Wiggle which works fine. I had a run on busted spokes a few months back and couldn’t face wheeling the bike to the shop each time. So far all my replaced spokes are holding up... so no complaints.

LifeLine Spoke Tension Meter
Spoke Tension Meter

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Let me rephrase myself: Has anyone ever bought one and what were the experiences?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying here that one necessarily needs such a tool, I'm more interested on how well they work/don't work - what are the pros and cons.

As mentioned above, I bought one (Park Tool) and found it inconvenient and awkward to use, and it greatly slowed the wheel building process. So I don’t use it.anymore.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When building a wheel, even spoke tension per side is what you are aiming for. And when measuring consistency matters more than accuracy. And most spoke tension meter s aren't actually all that consistent.

If you're just a guy who builds one or two wheels every few years. Save your money.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles