Speed sensor issue.

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
So, 5 miles into today's ride on my 9.8xt the speed readout starts going all over the place, with the motor cutting in/out and misbehaving as you would expect, but NO fault code. So I stopped, bashplate off, and unplugged the sensor to at least get home in limp mode.

After testing the sensor with a basic multi meter it gives several pulses per sweep of the magnet. Confirmed with a hand held scope. The reed switch is kaput. P/N W582244. By some miracle the local dealer had one in stock so all is good again. However they did say the failure rate is very high for this particular part, and it's a Trek item, not Bosch. They are a fairly long lead time, and I'll be keeping a spare with me at all times.

The local shop is working on a solution using a butchered Trek mount with a different Bosch sensor potted into place.

What are people's experiences with speed sensor failures?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Reed switches fail. It's a mechanical device that is expected to function for millions of operations, but they just don't last that long. I've not replaced one on an ebike, but I just looked up a very small reed switch, 0.18" diameter and 0.43" long, for under ten bucks. If I couldn't get an OEM part in a timely manner, I'd slap one of these babies in.

Tortelli

Dec 22, 2020
NL
Was about to post this question on the forum when i found the tread... seems like I have the same problem with my Rail 9 with about 100km (70 miles) on the clock....:
Seems like the same problem?

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
Was about to post this question on the forum when i found the tread... seems like I have the same problem with my Rail 9 with about 100km (70 miles) on the clock....:
Seems like the same problem?
Yep, exactly the same problem as mine had. It looks like your speed sensor. Unfortunately I can't upload the video of mine as it the wrong format.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
If you get speed readings all over the place the first thing to check is your magnet on the disk rotor. It’s more likely a deposit of tiny metal shavings from the rotor on the magnet, than anything else. I had this problem for a month last year on my new Rail. Took a lot of posts and head scratching to figure it out.
idismissed The problem first as I cleaned it once while still on the break disk rotor. Later I removed the magnet and carefully wiped off I’ll the little metal shavings.
that solved the problem. Typically happens when you replace a disk rotor as well

Slapbassmunky

Aug 1, 2020
Isle of wight
If you get speed readings all over the place the first thing to check is your magnet on the disk rotor. It’s more likely a deposit of tiny metal shavings from the rotor on the magnet, than anything else. I had this problem for a month last year on my new Rail. Took a lot of posts and head scratching to figure it out.
idismissed The problem first as I cleaned it once while still on the break disk rotor. Later I removed the magnet and carefully wiped off I’ll the little metal shavings.
that solved the problem. Typically happens when you replace a disk rotor as well
Good advice, but my sensor was toast. I tested it with a scope off the bike with an old magnet. it would give several pulses per magnet 'sweep'.

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Good advice, but my sensor was toast. I tested it with a scope off the bike with an old magnet. it would give several pulses per magnet 'sweep'.
Yeah, I just wanted people to check the magnet first, as it’s a lot easier to do than checking the sensor I for one wouldn’t have a clue how to do that :)

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I think my speed sensor might be coming to it's end. LBS didn't have the Trek's own speed sensor. I wonder would it be possible to modify Bosch OEM sensor to replace Trek's own sensor. What do you think?

Trek W582244 sensor:
1640882368033.png

1640882390892.png

The 600mm Bosch sensor 1270 020 800
1640862634068.png

Bosc slim which seem to be for the BES3 M22 system I guess?
1640862717169.png

1640862769709.png

1640882403966.png

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
I think my speed sensor might be coming to it's end. LBS didn't have the Trek's own speed sensor. I wonder would it be possible to modify Bosch OEM sensor to replace Trek's own sensor. What do you think?

Trek W582244 sensor:
View attachment 79006
View attachment 79007

The 600mm Bosch sensor 1270 020 800
View attachment 79000

Bosc slim which seem to be for the BES3 M22 system I guess?
View attachment 79001
View attachment 79002

View attachment 79008
I did this with mine. Using the Bosch slimline sensor. No problems since

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I did this with mine. Using the Bosch slimline sensor. No problems since
I’m assuming that the actuator is a simple reed-switch which is activated by the magnet on the rotor. Over time, or kms, this is likely to fail. This looks like a good option, especially for a spare, if the LBS doesn’t have one in stock.

antarcher

Jan 20, 2023
New Zealand
I had been intermittantly bothered by the bosch 503 error (speed sensor). Used to correct it with a magnet waved over the sensor or bashing the outside of frame with a log. As it will always go, the sensor totally failed after warranty during Xmas break in a remote region away from parts suppliers.

To get riding I cut the switch off and wired to the left crank with a conductive metal strip inside the crank to simulate the momentary switching needed to trick the bosch controller to think you are rolling.

Lots of hacks are posted like this but this excludes hall effect sensors or reed switches and magnets.

Am thinking of buying new trek sensor but this works and I know it won't fail again at the worst moment. Bonus is cadence is always less than wheel rotation so speed limit is overcome.

Pretty sad that the very tiny and simple reed switch by trek disables the whole NZD$9000 bike.

20230120_202416.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles