Spectral On rear size tyre

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
Hi there. The spectral on 6.0 2019 comes with a maxxis dhr 2.8 tire on the rear wheel, I think the tire has a good uphill behavior as it is 2.8 but going down and rolling it becomes a real brake for the bike, I want to know if they continue to put 2.8 tires on the rear wheel or have you tried a 2.6 or 2.5 and noticed big differences? a hug from Portugal ?

IMG_20200125_114908.jpg

eztiger

Apr 9, 2019
Guildford
Hi there. The spectral on 6.0 2019 comes with a maxxis dhr 2.8 tire on the rear wheel, I think the tire has a good uphill behavior as it is 2.8 but going down and rolling it becomes a real brake for the bike, I want to know if they continue to put 2.8 tires on the rear wheel or have you tried a 2.6 or 2.5 and noticed big differences? a hug from Portugal ?

View attachment 24932
I was thinking the same, dragging this fat boy around the Surrey Hills seems a little pointless. I will be trying something like a 2.6 in the next few month.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
The problem with emtbs is they are heavy. I've tried running a 2.4", 2.6" and 2.8" tyres. I've stuck with the 2.8" at 20psi purely to stop getting pinch flats when running tubeless.

After trying a few different makes I've stuck with Bontrager as they give good grip and aren't too heavy.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
The Bontrager tyre I'm using is a Xr4 Team Issue. They weigh approx. 950g. Rolling resistance seems pretty good but give good grip.

Another tyre I love and grips like velcro are the Maxxis Shorty. Weigh around 1025g. I was running 2.5" but did get a rear pinch flat due to running too low a psi. If you stay away from rocky terrain these are great front & rear.

I ended up using a 2.5" Shorty on the front and a 2.8" Xr4 Team Issue on the back. Loadsa front end grip and steers a bit quicker as well :love:

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
The Bontrager tyre I'm using is a Xr4 Team Issue. They weigh approx. 950g. Rolling resistance seems pretty good but give good grip.

Another tyre I love and grips like velcro are the Maxxis Shorty. Weigh around 1025g. I was running 2.5" but did get a rear pinch flat due to running too low a psi. If you stay away from rocky terrain these are great front & rear.

I ended up using a 2.5" Shorty on the front and a 2.8" Xr4 Team Issue on the back. Loadsa front end grip and steers a bit quicker as well :love:

? The terrain here in local trails its hard on rocks ? i love to Ride very hard with bike, the first thing i think its the 2.8 tyre brake a lot the bike, so this time i try a 2.6 size, about the tyre, the bike came with DHR2 maxterra 3c exo at rear 2.8, weigh aroud 950gr, looking the market in maxxis, in 2.8 just have One tire more expensive, the same tyre but with protetion exo+. I think the best tyres depends the protetion of each One, the DH tyres weigh is up to 1200gr, on rear wheels of ebike it needs a badboy like DH tyres, but the best DH tyres still in 2.5 size. But a think this Michelin go make the different.

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
? The terrain here in local trails its hard on rocks ? i love to Ride very hard with bike, the first thing i think its the 2.8 tyre brake a lot the bike, so this time i try a 2.6 size, about the tyre, the bike came with DHR2 maxterra 3c exo at rear 2.8, weigh aroud 950gr, looking the market in maxxis, in 2.8 just have One tire more expensive, the same tyre but with protetion exo+. I think the best tyres depends the protetion of each One, the DH tyres weigh is up to 1200gr, on rear wheels of ebike it needs a badboy like DH tyres, but the best DH tyres still in 2.5 size. But a think this Michelin go make the different.

I tried the Michelin Force AM tyres in 2.6" and 2.8". They weren't ebike specific like your E-Wild tyres and had relatively flimsy sidewalls. I had 2 pinch flats in the 2.8" rear and there was no grip on wet rocks.

Let me know how the E-Wild performs. They are heavy though (1220g) which will kill the feel of the bike. The std tyres on my Vitus E-Sommet were 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF DD downhill tyres which weighed 1200g each. Swapping to a lighter tyre transformed the handling of the bike.

Grilito

Dec 19, 2019
Figueira da Foz
I tried the Michelin Force AM tyres in 2.6" and 2.8". They weren't ebike specific like your E-Wild tyres and had relatively flimsy sidewalls. I had 2 pinch flats in the 2.8" rear and there was no grip on wet rocks.

Let me know how the E-Wild performs. They are heavy though (1220g) which will kill the feel of the bike. The std tyres on my Vitus E-Sommet were 2.5" Maxxis Minion DHF DD downhill tyres which weighed 1200g each. Swapping to a lighter tyre transformed the handling of the bike.

the tires have a lot to tell you, it depends on some variables, for my driving style and local terrain on the rear tire I have to have a resistant tire above all, it is better to pull by 1300gr than every time you go out to pedal a flat tire.

eztiger

Apr 9, 2019
Guildford
I swapped the rear tire for DHR 2.4 WT. I now seem to be getting lots more peddle strikes and it seems just a bit wrong in the geo dept. Next ride I will change the rocker switch to increase the rear travel, hopefully that will sort things out a bit

Max Rower

Nov 21, 2019
Vienna
I swapped the rear tire for DHR 2.4 WT. I now seem to be getting lots more peddle strikes and it seems just a bit wrong in the geo dept. Next ride I will change the rocker switch to increase the rear travel, hopefully that will sort things out a bit
Maybe you could use a 29“ rear wheel instead?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles