specialized warranty

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
had my specialized turbo levo 4 weeks, out yesterday on it , and my sram gx derailleur has snapped, not the hanger, never hit a rock or anything, got caught in the spokes and snap, any chance could under warranty with specilaized or sram?
IMG_6685.png

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
how does it get caught in the spokes?

Take it back to the shop and claim it just snapped( don't mention any spokes lol), they will likely assume it was faulty and send it back to SRAM, after giving you a new one

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
how does it get caught in the spokes?

Take it back to the shop and claim it just snapped( don't mention any spokes lol), they will likely assume it was faulty and send it back to SRAM, after giving you a new one
i honestly could not tell you what happened, but it pixxxed me off :mad: i dont think they will have any of it the it was faulty, but i hope so, had bikes for years and gotta say this has never happened befoe to me

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It happens with 12-speed, and not just SRAM. I too never used to have this problem until I went 12-speed. I have snapped two 12-speed mechs clean through the body. In each case it was a pine sapling that got caught in the mech. These long lower mech arms just sweep up the trail debris and "snap!" I suspect that the extra torque from the motor may be a contributory factor. :unsure:

When I snapped the first one, I couldn't get a replacement XT, so I fitted an SLX, that went the same way in the same place. I liked the SLX mech, same shifting performance as the XT, so I bought two SLX mechs. I now have a spare mech ready for the next time!

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
It happens with 12-speed, and not just SRAM. I too never used to have this problem until I went 12-speed. I have snapped two 12-speed mechs clean through the body. In each case it was a pine sapling that got caught in the mech. These long lower mech arms just sweep up the trail debris and "snap!" I suspect that the extra torque from the motor may be a contributory factor. :unsure:

When I snapped the first one, I couldn't get a replacement XT, so I fitted an SLX, that went the same way in the same place. I liked the SLX mech, same shifting performance as the XT, so I bought two SLX mechs. I now have a spare mech ready for the next time!
guess its one of tem things that happen, more annoyed ive only had this new bike 4 weeks,

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

You should know better than to buy two, Steve.

Every time I buy two of something, the standards change, and I end up with a brand-new unused part that sits on the shelf gathering dust. With that said, I'm reluctant to even mention the solution to the problem: AXS Transmission.

😲

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria

Every time I buy two of something, the standards change, and I end up with a brand-new unused part that sits on the shelf gathering dust. With that said, I'm reluctant to even mention the solution to the problem: AXS Transmission.

😲
AXS transmisson, any good ?

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver

😲
Exactly! Spend WAY more money on the issue and never fix the problem? The REAL problem is shifting. Try harder and STOP shifting, problem solved :cool:

Bndit

Jul 14, 2022
Finland
Anything could have happened there, if you didn`t change gear at the time it snapped? Maybe some branch or rock hit it or something. Or maybe it`s just bad quality, in that case Specialized will change it under warranty.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
Anything could have happened there, if you didn`t change gear at the time it snapped? Maybe some branch or rock hit it or something. Or maybe it`s just bad quality, in that case Specialized will change it under warranty.
who knows what happened, the trerain never had any branches or anything , it a small incline small slate track, nothing at all technical about it, my bike shop has said , in 99% of cases like this they wont warranty it as they will say like you said , a branch / rock hit it, my word against theres really so im not holding much hope they will fix it. we will see this week when they look at it.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
who knows what happened, the trerain never had any branches or anything , it a small incline small slate track, nothing at all technical about it, my bike shop has said , in 99% of cases like this they wont warranty it as they will say like you said , a branch / rock hit it, my word against theres really so im not holding much hope they will fix it. we will see this week when they look at it.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

😲
I'm not bothered about any change in standards, I'm sort of accepting of the fact that sooner or later I will use the SLX mech. But it could turn out to be a talisman; as long as I have it, I will never need it. :unsure:

Last edited:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I am not sure if Specialized is required to warrantee a SRAM part but it should be pretty easy to see if its been broken off by something hitting it on such a new bike. Are there any marks where it clearly shows something hit it or you hit something (a bent hanger, bent jockey wheels or chips in the paint on the mech)? If not, it was a manufacturer defect in the casting which is clearly covered with all general Warentees for at least 3 months. I am like @steve_sordy , I always have a couple of spares on hand which I am sure is part of Murphys Law.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only ways I could think of the mech snapping and being pulled into the spokes, given it seems it was not hit by trail debris, is if, either the B tension was not properly adjusted and the top jockey jammed on one of the 2 lowest ( biggest cogs) gears or the limit screw was not adjusted to prevent the chain going over the top of the cassette. If you have not made any adjustments to the mech those settings were presumably set by the LBS when they built the bike.
I would have thought the mech must have been pulled in towards the wheel to snap it that way and if there are no other marks on the mech it suggests that was not caused by an impact.

Oddy72

Apr 12, 2022
Cumbria
The only ways I could think of the mech snapping and being pulled into the spokes, given it seems it was not hit by trail debris, is if, either the B tension was not properly adjusted and the top jockey jammed on one of the 2 lowest ( biggest cogs) gears or the limit screw was not adjusted to prevent the chain going over the top of the cassette. If you have not made any adjustments to the mech those settings were presumably set by the LBS when they built the bike.
I would have thought the mech must have been pulled in towards the wheel to snap it that way and if there are no other marks on the mech it suggests that was not caused by an impact.
I agree with you , as it’s brand new I’ve not touched the gearing at all to adjust it , I can’t see any marks on it suggesting impact.
I’ll see what the outcome is this week from the bike shop . I’ll keep you posted .

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I agree with you , as it’s brand new I’ve not touched the gearing at all to adjust it , I can’t see any marks on it suggesting impact.
I’ll see what the outcome is this week from the bike shop . I’ll keep you posted .

Either way, Oddy, it can work out well for you. If they give you a new derailleur, you win. If they don't give you a new derailleur, you have a perfect excuse for stepping up to AXS. That's also a win. Good luck!

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
guess its one of tem things that happen, more annoyed ive only had this new bike 4 weeks,
Broke two in a year on levo with twigs. Think I've only broken one I can remember of since first MTB in 86. Ebikes are hard on everything 😪 I'm convinced.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
had my specialized turbo levo 4 weeks, out yesterday on it , and my sram gx derailleur has snapped, not the hanger, never hit a rock or anything, got caught in the spokes and snap, any chance could under warranty with specilaized or sram? View attachment 134596
High Rock Ruti

All SRAM and Shimano drives are warrantied for two years. I've had great success sending the broken component directly to the manufacturer and getting replacements. SRAM insists on going through an authorized dealer, however if you call and plead your case they will relent.

On such a new bike the shop should replace without a quibble.

Story Time

Less than three hundred miles AXS mech was shifting poorly
Took it to locaal shop..."trail damage". Took to another shop, new mech, shop reports that SRAM couldn't have been more reasonable, no paperwork, no questions new $700 AXS mech.

Don't give up, be persistent, and jettison shops who sell, but don't stand behind the buyer.

Warm Regards Ruti

Tetley

Sep 9, 2020
Bucks UK
It's really weird - derailleur gear systems are a brilliant, yet appalling design. On paper, they are a messy idea that breaks all engineering principles, and are doomed to failure. Somehow the reality is they are generally quite reliable. But the main reason for continued use after 100 years, is chains and sprockets are still the most efficient variable ratio transmissions....

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It's really weird - derailleur gear systems are a brilliant, yet appalling design. On paper, they are a messy idea that breaks all engineering principles, and are doomed to failure. Somehow the reality is they are generally quite reliable. But the main reason for continued use after 100 years, is chains and sprockets are still the most efficient variable ratio transmissions....
Long ago in the 60s we called them French gears hahaha . Design not changed much really since then .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles