Soft/missing/quick links

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Im uncertain whether the soft link on my Merida eOnesixty 900e is a reuseable type..
KMC X11e ( apparently )
I'd like to replace it with a reuseable if it doesnt already use one - any recommendations Wipperman ? KMC own brand ?
Grtzzz...

Tim

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've never had a KMC chain or link, but as far as I'm concerned all quick links are reusable! :)

I always use a new one when I replace the chain however. (y)

The old quick links go in my backpack for emergencies (mine or other people's). :)

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Fair play...
I like to take the chain off to clean the cassette, derailleur and chain rings properly, as well as the clean the chain thoroughly. Just dont want to destroy the link in the process...
It would seem some are designed to be used like this...
Others are listed by the manufacturers as "not reusable"
Before I wreck a perfectly good one, I figured Id ask... It feels proper tight !

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
You won't wreck it, but if they get reused too often I'm guessing the fine tolerance in the side plates is reduced and the manufacturers have to be cautious as they can't know how it's removed.
Personally I have reused mine without harm so far but would still change after a few disassembly/reassembly cycles.
The cost of links compared to what you've paid for the bike is nothing so at least buy a couple of spares so you've got a possible failure covered when you're out.
PS. I'd buy the same brand as the chain.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
That all makes sense to me- sure...I think Id best e careful about removing it as a matter of course , which is where I want to be really..( bit OCD>?!!>)
Pin length being the deciding factor perhaps. At least if you get this right, you stand a chance...
Thing is, a re-useable `(& ofetn times Ive seen non reuseable listed ) soft links are half the price of a complete chain !!! Should be £3-4 but nearer £12 here in the UK... Yikes.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I've said this elsewhere. I reckon this is the manufacturer not willing to take responsibility for us bodging the removal of one. Use the correct tool and accept personal responsibility. I had a similar argument once about reusing spokes when changing the rim (Magura rim brakes, powerful but a rim eater) with a bike shop who insisted I can't - what they meant was they would not be willing to guarantee it and would insist on using new ones that you pay for. Since I have noone to please but myself (just read that again but what the hell) I have done it several times successfully.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have seen product info from KMC that says "not Reuseable" and also "reuse a max of twice". There is obviously some wear created when the link is first installed and common sense says to me the max of twice is a sensible middle course. So I would not regularly remove the link to clean the chain and replace the same link but I would re use the same link to refit a chain I had removed...once!

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I always used KMC chains and their speedlink. Safely re-used them 3-4 times. Normally a bit of pressure is needed for link to snap in. When it comes back too easy, it's time to ditch it.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Mmm...no such thing as endlessly re-useable - I hear yous!
I stopped using split links on my MX because Ive seen too many trail side breakdowns because of it, preferring instead the so called 'soft link' permenent rivet version.....
Im the same with the mtb. There's no point in meticulously maintaining the chain ( and so longevity, as well the cassette and derailleur headware ) if the missing link becomes a weak link. Something of a " self defeating prophecy' about it...
Tooth picks and compressed air it is then...LOL

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
The KMC non-reusable link is slightly lighter weight than the reusable one. I have only had the non-reusable ones with 12sp chain and have followed their advice of single use only. However, I have kept my old links and have 1 in my camelback and another in the kit I keep in my car. If dong a point to point of 10km or longer I will carry a spare link.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Fair point - but then, as I ve discovered over the years with chain use, you are pretty much stuck with one type of chain. As mentioned above, its best to get the manufacturers branded link. Ive had issues when Ive not done so..
Maybe that wouldnt stop me ! Where can I find a dozen or so- link please ?

When they start making a decent eBike specific chain in dandy colours, I'll want one...What will I do with my old 78s grandad!??!:rolleyes::D

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles