So I popped my back tyre...

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
I just managed to pop my back tyre (WTB Verdict 2.5) on my Whyte E150S. I was about to go over a kerb on to the pavement, lifted the front wheel up and the back tyre popped as soon as it hit the kerb and tyre slowly deflated. Took me a few seconds to work out what had happened. I reckon I was doing about 10/12mph. I have done the exact same kerb on my old acoustic at the same speed without any problems.

The bike is brand new and the shop set up the tyres when I collected it. They asked what tyre pressure I would like, 25 or 30 psi and I said whatever they would recommend for my weight and the bike. They also set the suspension according to my weight and tested it with me on it. Yesterday at home when I felt the tyres they felt like I could squeeze the tyres a little bit, so I thought they maybe needed more pressure, but being my first emtb thought the shop would have set it correctly and didn’t think much more about it. I’ll speak to them in the morning, but they have been very good so far.

Is this just bad luck or is there something wrong with the tyre and/or the pressure? Surely a normal kerb is no match for this bike? ? or was I going too fast?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No shop can set mtb tyre pressures up correctly for a rider unless they know how they ride. and even then it's just a guess. Hence them asking you.

Depending on what you weigh 30psi isn't a very high pressure for a rear 2.5 tyre. Especially if you like to slam them into square edged concrete ;)

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Thanks @Gary

I have checked the WTB website and my weight means the tyres should be 40/42psi. WTB recommends 25/30psi for the average rider who weighs 160/180lbs. I weight 220lbs ?

So it recommends an extra 2/3psi for every 10lbs over the average weight.

I think I have spotted the problem, thanks for your help!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I would recommend buying a good tyre pressure gauge and to check the tyre pressure before every ride. You never know when you may have picked up a thorn producing a slow leak. Once you have found pressures that work for you, you can maintain it easily. Many riders have different front and rear pressures even with identical tyres.
The Topeak D2 digital tyre pressure gauge is very good. It deals with Presta and Schrader valves, has three different units, and can also bleed air. I've had mine for years.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
Forgot to say the shop fitted a new tube in 5 mins today, excellent service.

MadsB

May 15, 2020
London
I would recommend buying a good tyre pressure gauge and to check the tyre pressure before every ride. You never know when you may have picked up a thorn producing a slow leak. Once you have found pressures that work for you, you can maintain it easily. Many riders have different front and rear pressures even with identical tyres.
The Topeak D2 digital tyre pressure gauge is very good. It deals with Presta and Schrader valves, has three different units, and can also bleed air. I've had mine for years.

Bought this on your advice, it arrived today and is far more accurate than the gauge on my pump. Thanks again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles