So far, 7 motors between my 2019 Levo Com and my 2020 Levo Comp.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Levo Expert 1 year old this week ( happy birthday ) Dare i say 2300 miles still going great , 3 chains and new motor cable xmas thats all.

OzzieB

Jun 10, 2020
Maui
So just rode my Levo with the new motor. The motor seems quieter that the original motor. The dealer had ordered three new levo motors for back up given the failure rate so I had my bike back the day after I brought it in for repair. According to the bike tech at the Specialized dealer, the new Brose motors are using a kevlar belt while the original motors used a rubber belt. As Muzzman1 has suggested above, I am hoping that Specialized has fixed the problem and I am trying to be optimistic that I won't have a blown motor for awhile. But I am also wondering if it makes sense to simply replace the belts of these motors after a certain number of miles. We do that with car timing belts. Has anyone replaced a belt simply to have better peace of mind that you are riding with a new belt?

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
I actually just posted a poll to see how many people have had belt failures. Out of our 4 Levos, 3 have had belt failures. All within 500mi. I've been told that they have a new belt which should resolve these issues (but I'm not sure if I'm being fed a line of BS). If I continue to have issues, I will most likely sell our Levos and move to another bike. It's a shame, because we love these Levos so much.

While it's true the warranty is great, it sucks being without a bike for 3-4 weeks. When I dropped off our bike today (belt blew yesterday), the owner said 3 others were in the shop for belt failure. So, I know I"m not the only one having issues.

Belt can be replaced quite easily, cost around 35€. My friend mechanic already replaced at least 6 of them and told me it takes no more than an hour with minimum tools. The only problem is to source that belt. Have seen few on web, plan to buy a spare harness and maybe TCU (and seal it with liquid tape), chainring spider tool and a spare belt just in case ?

I had Shimano e8000 Merida previously and most of my mates have them. One motor was replaced under warranty and was given to another guy as a spare until his warranty motor arrives. No problems with water ingress due to smart power plug cable and beautifully engineered Di2 cables.

Just ordered the Levo to try something different, though it seems like I’ll seal everything with liquid tape (TCU especially) and use silicon sealant around holes in motor casing ?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Belt can be replaced quite easily, cost around 35€. My friend mechanic already replaced at least 6 of them and told me it takes no more than an hour with minimum tools. The only problem is to source that belt. Have seen few on web, plan to buy a spare harness and maybe TCU (and seal it with liquid tape), chainring spider tool and a spare belt just in case ?

I had Shimano e8000 Merida previously and most of my mates have them. One motor was replaced under warranty and was given to another guy as a spare until his warranty motor arrives. No problems with water ingress due to smart power plug cable and beautifully engineered Di2 cables.

Just ordered the Levo to try something different, though it seems like I’ll seal everything with liquid tape (TCU especially) and use silicon sealant around holes in motor casing ?
I had issues starting usually after washing. Had to dry it out indoors ended up crack in harness plug. Got new harness a year ago ( a lot beefier cable ) and taped up the TCU , never had any issues with starting since then. Motor went June though 2600 miles did 600 on new one ok so far.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
I had issues starting usually after washing. Had to dry it out indoors ended up crack in harness plug. Got new harness a year ago ( a lot beefier cable ) and taped up the TCU , never had any issues with starting since then. Motor went June though 2600 miles did 600 on new one ok so far.

thanks for information! I talked to my friend about torn belts in the motor. He already replaced them on post warranty motors plus cleaning and lubing and motors keep going strong, and it seems that belt replacement resolves 99% of motor failures. Again, in Russia it might take 1-3 monthes to receive new motor, so it might be a good idea to heat and peal warranty stickers, replace the belt and keep riding ?

I just read about Plastic Dip liquid tape. Never heard of it before. Planning to use in on this harnesses on TCU cable and speed sensor — they look unprotected.

Also I’m curious if anybody experienced water ingres on aluminum Levo/Kenove through the sidearm, where cable get clamped? It’s seems to be the source of water, because there is a huge hole leading directly to the motor casing. Planning to isolate it with foam of some sort of sealant (didn’t find a gentle one yet, any suggestions are welcome!).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
thanks for information! I talked to my friend about torn belts in the motor. He already replaced them on post warranty motors plus cleaning and lubing and motors keep going strong, and it seems that belt replacement resolves 99% of motor failures. Again, in Russia it might take 1-3 monthes to receive new motor, so it might be a good idea to heat and peal warranty stickers, replace the belt and keep riding ?

I just read about Plastic Dip liquid tape. Never heard of it before. Planning to use in on this harnesses on TCU cable and speed sensor — they look unprotected.

Also I’m curious if anybody experienced water ingres on aluminum Levo/Kenove through the sidearm, where cable get clamped? It’s seems to be the source of water, because there is a huge hole leading directly to the motor casing. Planning to isolate it with foam of some sort of sealant (didn’t find a gentle one yet, any suggestions are welcome!).
There's a few good pieces of advice on prevention here for keeping water out if you are prepared to spend some time and have the skills . Just finding the posts is probably the hardest work.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
There's a few good pieces of advice on prevention here for keeping water out if you are prepared to spend some time and have the skills . Just finding the posts is probably the hardest work.

Year, unfortunately I have to invest time and skills. Don’t want to spoil the vacation in the mountains plus spring/fall weather in Moscow is usually reminds me UK winter ?
Will make a post with updates on waterproofing. Already have a plan and tools

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles