Small gap at headset on 2020 cube stereo hybrid 140 hpc sl 625?

scoffcrudle

Feb 19, 2019
Scotland
Hello everybody,

I'm looking for some advice as to whether this gap located at the headset on my cube stereo hybrid 140 hpc sl 625 is normal?

If you look closely, there appears to be a split washer or something similar that's not quite sitting properly and thus making a visible gap.

Can somebody please advise? Any adice greatfully recieved.

Thank you.
20200718_161413.jpg

scoffcrudle

Feb 19, 2019
Scotland
Ok, so after a bit of research I've discovered it's called a compression ring or a centering sleeve (I think) and I need to re-seat it back into the top tube.

Any ideas for the best way to do this?

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
I’ve replaced my top bearing in my levo and I have the same gap, all works fine with no issues.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
looks like that split ring needs to be compressed to make it sit into the section of the headset tube below it. I assume its function is to make sure the fork steerer tube fits centrally into the headset.

scoffcrudle

Feb 19, 2019
Scotland
looks like that split ring needs to be compressed to make it sit into the section of the headset tube below it. I assume its function is to make sure the fork steerer tube fits centrally into the headset.

Yes you are exactly right. However I was told that the small gap is actually normal. there has to be a small space here in order for it to turn. Some have a rubber seal and some dont. So it looks like ive been worrying about nothing. As long as there's no play in the forks or headset its absolutely fine. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Cheers,

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I checked my wife's Cube Access which probably has the same headset. Yes there is a gap but it is only about 1mm and I can see no gap in the spacer so it looks like it should be compressed to fit into the top of the headset whilst still sitting a little proud to avoid friction.. Looks easy enough to check it is seated properly. With that size of gap and the split slacer being open you will get mud and dust in the headset.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ps I press grease into headset gaps especially between the headset and crown. It stops water and mud ingress to the bearings...albeit it needs cleaning and re greasing occasionally.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I have a problem with headset it's seems like it is moving too much , I'll just visit local cube store it's strange.. I also have that big gap

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles