Size from 2019 to 2022?

Lawson

Mar 11, 2019
UK
Hi there, I have a 2019 large Esommet and am contemplating a newer one with the bigger battery.

Firstly, should I bother?

Secondly, I'm tempted to downsize to a medium. I'm 5 10ish for the record.

Opinions please. Cheers Mike

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
If all you want is a bigger battery, just get that for your existing bike and save yourself a ton of cash. The BT-E8016 battery should fit your frame, though check that for certain before you order.

Lawson

Mar 11, 2019
UK
If all you want is a bigger battery, just get that for your existing bike and save yourself a ton of cash. The BT-E8016 battery should fit your frame, though check that for certain before you order.
I didn't phrase that well. I don't want a bigger battery per say, I meant the newer design that happens to have the bigger battery.

It's more about the size, as the title suggests. Thanks for replying

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
I am 5'9, I have a 2021 Vitus Esommet (M) and my friend has the 2019 Esommet (M). The size of the 2019 model makes it feel like a kids bike. I'm not sure what the numbers are but it feels so much smaller. That said I have ridden his a few times since I've had mine (maybe 3-4?).

My thoughts:
The lighter 2019 model is much preferable for me on jumps weighing 65-68kg.
2019 being shorter is noticeably easier in tight cornering sections.
I don't have any issues on my 2021 and love it but it feels and rides like a big bike. The bike is only happy going fast, wether that is a flow trail or a rocky DH trail, it just eats it up.
The 2021 model is a bit of a pig in slow flat sections, but its an ebike so you can just power through it.

Battery lasts me ~1300m vertical climbed in trail.

Lawson

Mar 11, 2019
UK
I am 5'9, I have a 2021 Vitus Esommet (M) and my friend has the 2019 Esommet (M). The size of the 2019 model makes it feel like a kids bike. I'm not sure what the numbers are but it feels so much smaller. That said I have ridden his a few times since I've had mine (maybe 3-4?).

My thoughts:
The lighter 2019 model is much preferable for me on jumps weighing 65-68kg.
2019 being shorter is noticeably easier in tight cornering sections.
I don't have any issues on my 2021 and love it but it feels and rides like a big bike. The bike is only happy going fast, wether that is a flow trail or a rocky DH trail, it just eats it up.

Battery lasts me ~1300m vertical climbed in trail.
That's really helpful thanks. I'll check out the numbers, but it sounds as though the newer medium could be comparable to an older large.

The biggest factor here is weight by what I've read.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I didn't phrase that well. I don't want a bigger battery per say, I meant the newer design that happens to have the bigger battery.

It's more about the size, as the title suggests. Thanks for replying
Ah, gotcha! In that case, I would look at the reach measurements and the top tube measurement. If you want a bike that's a touch more playful, go shorter, if you want stability, go longer. I've not ridden the 2019 model, but my impression of the 297 model is that it feels shorter than the measurements would suggest.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
Im 5' 9" and I've got Medium in both bikes, the 2018 M is a good size but I could have gone L with the 2021 with no issues .
Where I've got my seatpost set at (probably 3 1/2" out) would be nearly full insertion on the L and a little more reach wouldn't have bothered me, if it did I could have put a 35mm stem on instead of the 50mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles