Shoulder injuries

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Read through PenSki’s post on rib injuries and decided to do the same for shoulders.

Went otb a couple of weeks ago separating my left shoulder (AC). Doc says if not grade 3 its close. Probably fractured a side rib from landing on my elbow. Fortunately the rotator cuff is fine. Twisted my right knee so now it hurts more than usual. Btw that knee has been problematic for a while. It causes my foot to rotate clockwise and I felt my heel rub the rear tire helping to send me otb. Grrrr...

This is the most serious injury I’ve had in my life. Never even broke a bone. Considering the huge bump at the end of my collar bone I feel better than I look. Range of motion is decent and is improving each day. Confidence is high I’ll be back in the saddle :)

Any insight from fellow separated shoulder survivors would be appreciated. I’m considering body armor but seems to be a compromise between comfort and protection, especially for hard shoulder impacts.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
shoulder.png

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
I broke a collar bone 20 years ago going otb doing an endo on a bmx and landed from a vertical upside down position on my left shoulder.
I have to consciously keep it strong or it will partially dislocate on its own and give discomfort until I build strength back up. I still can't sleep on my left without risking problems.
Keep the muscles strong and that should maintain the structure - once it's properly healed of course.

N9VNS

Jun 26, 2020
South Wales
Sounds nasty! Wish you a speedy recovery.

I fractured my shoulder blade in 2 places 6 weeks ago and damaged my rotator cuff. Still in a lot of pain and can’t see me riding my bike for a good few weeks yet. Worste thing is, I’ve bought a brand new whyte e160rs and still haven’t even ridden it?.

Recovery wise, I thought I’d back on the bike by now to be honest, getting a bit pissed off with it now. My rotator cuff seems to be recovering quicker than the break. I had an impingement and small tear in my opposite cuff last year and that took 3-4 months of exercises everyday and physio every other week before I could go back to the gym and do normal activities pain free, hoping this one won’t take as long.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
Sounds nasty! Wish you a speedy recovery.

I fractured my shoulder blade in 2 places 6 weeks ago and damaged my rotator cuff. Still in a lot of pain and can’t see me riding my bike for a good few weeks yet. Worste thing is, I’ve bought a brand new whyte e160rs and still haven’t even ridden it?.

Recovery wise, I thought I’d back on the bike by now to be honest, getting a bit pissed off with it now. My rotator cuff seems to be recovering quicker than the break. I had an impingement and small tear in my opposite cuff last year and that took 3-4 months of exercises everyday and physio every other week before I could go back to the gym and do normal activities pain free, hoping this one won’t take as long.
Yikes. I got off easy compared to your injuries. And to add insult to injury you haven’t even ridden your new bike :(. Speedy recovery to you too!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
Wishing you healing vibes!!

I use the Leatt 3DF Airfit for Bike Park.

I used to ride with it all the time but as the confidence and ability rose I only use it for the gnar now. It's about the right balance between protection and comfort. It has a chest plate that will prevent rib injuries also.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Jeff h I've done exactly the same I'm slim aswell so mine sticks out apparently they only operate on grade 4 and over so we r stuck with them FFS my physio is great real works she says I'm in no more risk falling on it again than normal and should have full use I'm 5 weeks in and I've got full motion just about strength is returning but I've said to myself until I can do 20 proper push ups I'm not riding again so I'm leaving it til after Xmas ? physio told me if I gave up riding she would hunt me down lol she's mint ? hope u r recovered ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles