Should I buy a spare BT-E8010 now?

brw0513

May 18, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Hi All.

I purchased a used E160 900E a few months ago now and really enjoy it. Should have purchased it new in 2018 but just didn't have the money at the time.

It has a few creaks and rattles but I'm sorting these out slowly. It is a blast to ride even in Eco mode. Trail mode is outstanding.

When new, this bike may well have been the pinnacle of the bikes in the Bike Shop. But 3 years later and the same chain of Bike Shops no longer stock the EC-E6000 charger nor the BT-E8010 504WH battery. Sheesh.

Just wondering if I should purchase a new BT-E8010 battery while they are still available? Per the STUNlocker App, the current battery has been charged 56 times and is at 83% health. My worry is the battery fails for some reason and I left the decision too late and a BNIB replacement is no longer available.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I would think you'll be able to buy the for years to come yet.

I have the same bike and bought a spare battery and it comes in really handy as they do take a while to charge
I also rotate the battery so I'm not using/charging the same one all the time.

Ebikeftw123

Sep 22, 2021
Melbourne
Ive thought about the same thing when I purchased mine e160 a few weeks ago. I heard the battery that come with the bike is good for at least 2000 cycles. And depending on how much you ride and charge, it could last a very long time.

But your battery doesn’t just die at the end of all the charge cycles, it’s capacity will reduce. which means you’ll still be able ride and charge it as usual, but your range will reduce. So I wouldn’t be worried about purchasing a spare battery for now.

Beatn1K

Jan 25, 2020
UK
Just dont store it in cold conditions. Being external, its so easy to bring it inside to store it when not in use...
And dont leave it in a state of full charge for longer periods....
If memory serves, @65% is the sweet spot, but anything from 65-85% is good. And charge/discharge cycle it once every six months at least...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles