Shock pump wanted. (sorted )

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you are looking to buy a shock pump, pretty much any decent one will do - the key is you use the same one as there will be a slight difference in readings between different pumps.

I prefer a digital readout, and have an older Leyzne one thats no longer in production. Good review here of options, a lot of pumps are the same and just branded differently.

You dont need to spend a fortune, and in fact Halfords make a good cheap one if you are in the UK,

As do Decathlon:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Buy pretty much any shock pump and use only that one to ensure consistency. I have had the same shock pump for the last 11 years, they just keep on working. But it's a dial gauge and not digital, so less to go wrong.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I bit the bullet and bought a floor pump - much preferred over wanking around with the tiny hand held things.

That looks to be a really nice bit of equipment .
I was about to say a floor pump can`t do suspension ,then I clicked the link and had a read . lol .

But ...
$137.71

+ $143.19 Delivery

Arrives: 8 - 10 Dec
Fastest delivery: 25 - 27 Nov

In stock.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Please dont use this on your shock though! This thread is about pumps designed for adjusting the pressure in your suspension, not tires

Dude ,,, read the link .
This is a multi purpose pump . -
Airace Bike Aluminum Floor Tire Pump, Angled-Shape Barrel, Large Gauge, High Pressure 300 PSI, Air Bleeder - All-Fit Valve Head for Presta, Schrader and Air Suspension Shock Inflator

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Dude ,,, read the link .
This is a multi purpose pump . -
Airace Bike Aluminum Floor Tire Pump, Angled-Shape Barrel, Large Gauge, High Pressure 300 PSI, Air Bleeder - All-Fit Valve Head for Presta, Schrader and Air Suspension Shock Inflator
I did, and I wouldn't put that near my suspension - your bike your choice.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Its more to do with the right tool for the job, basically a floor pump is a high volume low pressure pump, whereas a dedicated shock pump is the opposite - this allows you to make the small/incremental adjustments that are needed on shocks. A floor pump is inherently the wrong tool for the job, no matter what adapters etc it has on it, and personally I wouldn't want to take the risk of using one, no matter how it is advertised.

Most floor pumps won't fit onto a shock anyway, due to the head design, as the shock valves tend to be recessed, especially on a fork.

From what I can see the one linked on Amazon has an adapter with a bleed valve, meaning to my mind you basically overinflated the shock then use the bleed valve to lower the air pressure to what you want, however given the gauge isn't near the head taking an accurate reading doesn't look a given.

There is a reason there are dedicated shock pumps, and given you can get a decent one for under £20 no reason not to use the right tool for the job. Shocks are very sensitive to small changes in pressure, and you want a pump that easily and accurately does this.

Finally as others have said, when setting up a fork you will usually go out for a ride with the pump on you, and make the necessary adjustments trailside - this is just not possible with a floor pump.

MrBurnside

Nov 2, 2020
Woodside, CA
Wanted to follow up in case anyone finds this in the future:

I've used the Airace floor pump for 2+ years. You can get similar devices from companies like Topeak now, in case the obscure brand makes you nervous. It is, first and foremost, a shock pump. Honestly, it's a mediocre tire pump. It's not really pushing that much more volume per stroke than a hand pump - it just makes the mechanics easier. I run my rear at 300+ and a hand pump is a killer at that pressure. The pressure gauge is huge and easy to read.

Like most people, I have 3 or 4 hand pumps that came with new shock purchases. Handy if I need something mobile.

Rawk on

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles