Shimano SC-EM800 or Garmin

CCHOUGH

Sep 30, 2022
SF Bay Area
Just ordered my M20 - really looking forward to getting her on the trail, my first e-bike! I was just going to use my Garmin 130+ to track battery life, mode etc. rather than upgrade to the Shimano SC-EM800 display. Is there functionality that the EM has that I would lose by using my Garmin?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
You'll lose the ability to change between the two profile settings modes (not powers settings via the rocker switch. they'll be normal.) on the fly. You'll need to pull your phone out for that. But not all Garmins will connect to the sTEPS system, so double check your computer is fully compatible. My Garmin 830 displays more information than the EP800 display, actually. Like an actual battery percentage.

Gordon

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I recently got a garmin watch and use the orbea app. It displays everything I could need on that. However, its nice to have the display and I'm not unhappy I got it up front.

Grendel

Subscriber
Dec 20, 2021
Texas
There’s a phone app you can buy called ST Ride for $3 that is specifically designed for this motor and gives all kinds of great info including speed, distance travelled, cadence, output watts, battery as a percentage, etc. It’s worth looking into. I’ve had my rise for a year and use this app for every ride.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
The Garmin e-steps connectivity provides more and better info than the Shimano EM800 display.
however, the Garmin -Shimano functionality isn't loaded into the 130.
I use the Edge 830 which works great.
Compatibility list here:

CCHOUGH

Sep 30, 2022
SF Bay Area
The Garmin e-steps connectivity provides more and better info than the Shimano EM800 display.
however, the Garmin -Shimano functionality isn't loaded into the 130.
I use the Edge 830 which works great.
Compatibility list here:
I was planning on using this app from the Garmin store:

It's not the same as the one you posted but includes Battery % and mode which are the two that I really need. I wonder if this one isn't as good as the official Steps app.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I was planning on using this app from the Garmin store:

It's not the same as the one you posted but includes Battery % and mode which are the two that I really need. I wonder if this one isn't as good as the official Steps app.
It looks like that app would provide good info. Steps app offers a bit more, but I agree that mode and battery percentage are the most useful data field, which that app applies.

sorcerer

Oct 8, 2019
Slovakia
Garmin watches Fenix 7, Fenix 6, FR955, FR255 have direct connectivity to Shimano Steps motor. Settings -> Sensors -> Add sensor -> E-bike. The Orbea app or E8000 datafield is not required.

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
Garmin watches Fenix 7, Fenix 6, FR955, FR255 have direct connectivity to Shimano Steps motor. Settings -> Sensors -> Add sensor -> E-bike. The Orbea app or E8000 datafield is not required.
Were you able to get this connected to a Rise? I’ve been waiting for Garmin to add this sensor to Fenix so when it appeared I tried it out but it won’t see my Rise. It will connect to my wife’s Turbo Levo no issues. I have a Fenix 6S. The Orbea data field and Jan Capek’s data field both work fine, but I am hoping the e-bike sensor will record power and cadence data that Strava can pick up.

sorcerer666

Aug 25, 2021
Slovakia
I don't have a Rise, but I have a Shimano EW-EN 100 on my bike instead of a display. It works flawlessly with the Garmin Edge 530 and should work with the watch as well.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Garmin 1040 and Fenix 6 user hear, what a cracking bit of integration, if i just wont the basic it's the watch if i fancy a decent ride i connect the 1040.
The 130 plus will not work.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
Thats interesting, I run a data field on my Fenix 6 , i didn't think the actual e bike profile actually connected so just added the data field.

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
I don't have a Rise, but I have a Shimano EW-EN 100 on my bike instead of a display. It works flawlessly with the Garmin Edge 530 and should work with the watch as well.
"Should" work with the watch (e-bike sensor) I agree. My experience so far is that it does not. It only works using one of the third party data field options on my Fenix 6S.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles