IMG_4033D.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

IMG_4045.jpeg
IMG_4046.jpeg

Product name: Shimano SAINT PD-M821 SPD Pedals
Price paid: 138 USD
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: Overall: Great pedal, 8/10 due to the weight.

My '21 Giant Trance X arrived with disposable stock pedals and after a few rides I was ready to let them go. I was a big fan of SPD pedals from the old days and I'm surprised they're still around 25 years later. I first tried a set of Crank Bros Eggbeater pedals before going with SPD and I didn't care much for them. A bit too "floaty" for my tastes and the release was vague making heel-inward releases tricky.

After the Eggbeaters I then tried a set of wide flat DH pedals from my son's bike (sorry not sure the brand). I appreciated the sturdy platform and the flats were great in technical sections, but I'm a bit old fashioned and still craved a clipless pedal.

I wanted a pedal where I could clip-in on either side but also offers a platform I could stomp-on clipped-out if I'm struggling through technical terrain. I was originally leaning towards the M9120 but they lacked teeth to grip onto the shoe when not clipped-in and the platform was a bit narrow. The Saint PD-M821 were just the ticket.

The Saint is a substantial pedal with a decently wide platform. The screws/teeth are adjustable and really dig in to your shoe when you're not clipped in. However I don't believe the platform does much once you are clipped-in so I'd recommend a somewhat stiff shoe. I'm using a pair of Giro Carbide R II shoes and had to grind down the sole just a couple mm next to the cleats, simple task with a Dremel tool.

They are certainly well designed and manufactured, typical Shimano quality. But they're portly, 546g for the pair. Not really a big issue for me since my Trance X didn't miss a meal.

Overall I'm impressed and I expect them to hold up well. Going clipless has been a relief for my riding and improved my confidence offroad, even in technical stuff. I'm more confident attacking rocks & roots and keeping my momentum up.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles