Shimano modes and motor set up

Keetoo

Jul 18, 2019
Netherlands
eco 35% / 25 Nm
trail 35% / 30 Nm
boost 60% / 70 Nm

i am very fit, ride a lot of other bikes (full supsension mtb, fatbike, gravel and road race) and race mtb marathons but for enduro i have an ebike (Canyon Spectrol:ON) i ride mostly with fit non ebike enduro riders. with these settings i get in eco mode as much power as my non ebike bike mate, riding with same hearth rates then. when i get tired i ride some heavy parts in trail, some "impossible" climbs in boost.

with these settings i get over 2000 Hm and around 75 km in technical terrain mostly with 2 bars left. (around 35 - 40%)

i also experience that in eco > 80 rpm gives the best support.

i experienced with settings to spare battery life, because we like to ride 4 to 5 hours...with these settings we ride together and have big fun going down ;-)

YorkshireDan

Dec 23, 2019
Thorne
Eco 50% 50nm
Trail 100% 60nm
Boost 200% 70nm
I'm about 18.5st, get roughly 32 miles out of It before red, but it is fairly flat. Probs get about 25 on a hilly ride, I'm on a jam2 with the internal 378wh battery

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
I've downloaded ST Unlocker the £1.50 version not the more expensive deristrct.

Fantastic app. Connects a dream. You adjust in each generic power mode specific elements. So:

% assist
Total NM
Total wattage

Also you can adjust wheel size if mullet etc and control elements such as lights etc.

So I set a few presets depending on terrain and nature of my ride.

I'm still playing around but like to set eco so it's near my analogue bike in power feel. Max NM around 25 so way lower than a Turbo SL. Max wattage around 60 and max assist sub 100. That way I get a workout. I'm still tinkering. It's very granular unlike etube.

For Trail a bit more, probably what standard etube eco is. This winds me up most stuff.

Boost, I dial this down a lot on % assist but get the torque up. I find in std boost mode it's often just too much power especially on tight corners. I'm pulling the back brake on all the time.

I tend to play around a bit on the trail too as often on my own.

Try ST unlock. The cheap version. Less than a coffee.

Jules

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I suspect a lot of people don't understand the difference between Trail and Boost modes. There's almost no reason not to have Trail mode set fairly high, since it dynamically adjusts assist and power based on pedal input. At least that's been my experience.
But you can cap it by lowering assist, percentage, watts hence saving battery can't you?

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
First time I’ve lookrd at my settings. Are there standard? Eco and boost say default with a tick but not Trail.?
I bought the bike as ex demo so not sure if it’s been tweaked?

2CBA4DE5-084C-4DE7-ABEE-BD130CCB898A.jpeg

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Try clicking on "default" and see if it updates. If it does and you want to run in default mode (designed for an average rider/environment rather like the ECU in a car) then click on update.

Don't be afraid playing around in the parameters off the app with support settings in each mode to suit your riding style and environment.

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
Eco high
Trail High
Boost low

90% of riding is in eco. Use trail for bits of fun.

Just updated the firm ware and can no longer feel when assistance switches in - note the avoidance of the phrase kicks in.

Have also changed to E7000 buttons. Not used to it yet and on bumpy terrain can occasionally switch two layers. However the improvement to use of walk mode is impressive as was never sure if contact was there

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I've lost about 10-20% battery range of late so to conserve battery and increase fitness I'm now running eco and medium in low and boost in medium. Eco in low is a slog with a heavy bike and heavy rider but I know I'm getting a better work out and I've gained about 10k extra range or effectively it's wiped out the losses I've lost from having an older battery.

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
Eco high
Trail High
Boost low

90% of riding is in eco. Use trail for bits of fun.

Just updated the firm ware and can no longer feel when assistance switches in - note the avoidance of the phrase kicks in.

Have also changed to E7000 buttons. Not used to it yet and on bumpy terrain can occasionally switch two layers. However the improvement to use of walk mode is impressive as was never sure if contact was there

how do you update firmware and what is the latest version?

Hasse E7000

Sep 12, 2020
Svinninge Sweden
List out how you set up your modes here, and also a place for discussion on 3rd party app modes you may have created! This thread is for discussing tuning the modes on your bike rather than any derestricting.

I am running at standard settings but would like to change how the force react when stop pedaling.
This should be possible if understand it correctly In E-Tube Assist start settings
Assist start (Quick to Mild) in E-Tube, but I can not reach that settings. :In manual it says Assist patterns cannot be set in this application. ???? any suggestions??

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I am running at standard settings but would like to change how the force react when stop pedaling.
This should be possible if understand it correctly In E-Tube Assist start settings
Assist start (Quick to Mild) in E-Tube, but I can not reach that settings. :In manual it says Assist patterns cannot be set in this application. ???? any suggestions??

It should work with DU-EP800 motor only AFAIK.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
So if one was looking for outright performance from the motor in trail and boost what would be best setting ?
Std trail is nice and I obviously wouldn’t want to try and turn it into boost but will changing it make it stronger but still retain the linear feel and the way it’s delivers the power as in giving you what you need / ask for as designed ?
Also is there an app that can lift the speed limit higher ?

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
So i have changed trail to max assistance (torque was already max std) and it’s superb ! I ride on this now all the time.

the only thing im slightly confused on is Boost (now and before I changed trail) doesn’t feel as strong as trail for some reason on the new std EP8 Santa Cruz Heckler ......?‍♀️

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Good afternoon, in case someone can help you this is my preferred configuration for my Canyon Neuron ON E8000 and 504 Wh
Eco 35%assist./30Nm Trail 80%assist./70Nm and Boost 120%assist./70Nm battery health 87% and 116 km of autonomy all flat tracks, 75 km of autonomy all trails.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles