• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Shimano EP8 Di2 Error code E030

boggan

Dec 7, 2023
Sweden
Hi,
I have a Rock Machine Blizzard Int e70-297 E-mtb with a Shimano EP8 motor and was thinking of using the opportunity to upgrade to electronic shifting.

All said and done, I went and bought a new XT rear derailleur (RD-M8050) and shifting unit (SW-M8050-R).

The problem is that when I install everything and start the bike, I get error code E030 on the display.
According to Shimano, the E030 error code is "Shifting unit different from system configuration is installed." with the following action "Connect to E-TUBE PROJECT to update to the correct configuration."

From what I have understood, you need to activate electronic shifting in E-Tube.
I have connected the bike to PC via SM-PCE02 and been inside E-Tube Projekcts but can't find this.
Does anyone know where in E-Tube Projects you change this? Or is there something else I'm missing?

I haven't tried eMax app as I have Shimano's own link device and thought it's better to use their stuff.

I have the following gear:
Motor: DU-EP800
Switch: SW-EM800-L
Display: SC-EM800
Derailleur: RD-M8050
Shifter: SW-M8050-R
Adapter: EW-AD305
Cables: SD50 and SD300

Grateful for any help!

Regards, Peter

Only_eMTBs

Oct 1, 2023
Texas
I don't know if you got this resolved but from my understanding and speaking with Shimano some time back, the EP801 is the only motor (at this time) that supports Di2 8050.

boggan

Dec 7, 2023
Sweden
For others who are interested or have similar problems, I can tell how I managed to solve this.

Just to clarify: The Di2 8050 is compatible with EP800, but not the 8150.

I spoke to Shimano Technical support and they said the folowing:
"As a private customer, you probably cannot reprogram the bike as the settings in the drive unit need to be changed.
For the fastest solution to the problem, you need to visit a dealer who can connect the bike with us at Shimano."

This was not an option for me so I had to come up with something else.
I ditched E-Tube and turned my attention to the eMax software.
And it turns out that with that software I could change the settings in the drive unit from "mechanical gear mode" to "electronical gear mode"

So apparently you can't use Shimano's E-Tube Project to change this setting, which is a shame.

After I did this really simple change in the eMax software, now the shifting with Di2 works perfectly.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles