Shimano ep8 Assistance Settings

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I had to replace my old e8000 motor (blown torque sensor) on my Merida e160 900e, 2019. I love the bike and have just had it upgraded with the ep8 motor. There's a lot of adjustment with the assistance settings and was wondering what others had change for general trail riding with both climbs and decents.

I've got he first ride with it tomorrow and will be checking out the profile 1 Shimano pre-set.

I'd love any advice and customisations that others have tried that work well. Thanks

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I ride almost exclusively in Profile 2 (see below). Profile 1 is for those times when I'm stressed about range.

Most of the time I ride in Eco. If it gets pretty steep and technical, I'll switch to Trail. If the going is almost unrideable without maximum assist, I'll go to Boost. I don't find Boost to be pleasurable for regular riding. These settings seem to allow smooth transitions between assist levels.

Heckler Assist Profiles 20210730.jpg

MTB Hucker

Dec 20, 2018
Australia
I ride almost exclusively in Profile 2 (see below). Profile 1 is for those times when I'm stressed about range.

Most of the time I ride in Eco. If it gets pretty steep and technical, I'll switch to Trail. If the going is almost unrideable without maximum assist, I'll go to Boost. I don't find Boost to be pleasurable for regular riding. These settings seem to allow smooth transitions between assist levels.
This is awesome.

Thanks for sharing all of that. I'll give it a go for the ride tomorrow!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use Profile 1 for my trail riding:

I used to have Eco lower and rode everywhere in Trail, using Boost occasionally. But I was burning through the battery. So I increased the settings on Eco and use that instead. I'm getting twice the range and with little noticeable impact. I use Trail on the climbs if I need and Boost where I used to use it before. If I need Boost then I NEED it, so why mess about with anything except the maximum?

Profile 1
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
8​
8​
10​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
70​
85​
85​
Assistance Start
5​
5​
5​

Profile 2 is my "get me home" setting. I have never needed it yet.

Profile 2
Eco​
Trail​
Boost​
Assistance Character
3​
3​
3​
Maximum Torque (Nm)
49​
85​
85​
Assistance Start
3​
3​
3​

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Does anyone know what the equivalent the assist setting for are on e8000. Got ep8 motor but not finding the range as good. Has been on default settings so goingntonhave a play about. Found the e8000 sufficient so was going to try adjust eco and trail assist setting so was similar to that and see how that goes or is that a terrible idea?

Will keep the boost most maxed out for when needed

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Set the EP8 max torque to 70Nm which is the e8000 max torque.
You may wish to dial down the assistance character too, but I have no data on what that might be. Assistance character is what brings the bike alive.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Set the EP8 max torque to 70Nm which is the e8000 max torque.
You may wish to dial down the assistance character too, but I have no data on what that might be. Assistance character is what brings the bike alive.
Good idea, I might even try eco a bit lower. And play around with assist settings.

Thanks for the advice :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles