Shimano bigger batteries?

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
howdy good people, is it true what i have heard about a 700+w Aftermarket battery for Shimano motors sometime soon? if so, has anyone any info/links on them please? also, is anyone doing smaller "piggyback" batteries that can plug into exisisting batteries to extend range?
cheers for any info (y)

Last edited:

LawmanMtb

Aug 15, 2018
Wigan
i was thinking IF some aftermarket company had made batteries that plug into the charging point on the side of the battery with a cable to say a backpack or reach a bottle cage??? it would extend the range of our bikes without having to carry a full sized battery in your backpack, it would be a great comfort to have one AFTER last weekends ride where i had to ride the last 3 or 4 miles with an empty battery

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I'd be delighted if someone produced a bigger battery but not heard anything. Do you have a link? If Shimano themselves produce one I can't see it being retro fit as they'll want to sell more bikes. I have a spare battery and often carry it with me on longer rides and to be fair of all the main companies the Shimano battery is the easieist to fit in a back pack being a little more compact

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
As far as i know, Shimano have a 2 year product cycle, so would assume from that there will be a new E8000 motor announced this year for 2020. The rumour that you heard may be linked to this and i would assume that there will be a 700 watt version that will be available. This would make sense as Shimano have been criticized for their range for a while now.

Trail Doug

Nov 22, 2018
Wrexham
Shimano don't sell bikes , they sell bike parts. The cells the 8010 pack are based on could easily be replaced by newer high density ones in a similar fashion as to how Spesh have done it with this years Levo. I would be pretty surprised if Shimano dropped that battery type completely in the next couple of years. They may have a 2 year cycle at each level of equipment but usually the tech itself has a 5-6 year cycle getting refreshed but retaining compatibility as it trickles down the range. I would also be surprised if a new motor in 2020 couldn't just be dropped into the same frame and system that a current 8000 series motor work with as long term, once the initial ebike boom has levelled off, they know they will get more sales from people wishing to upgrade their current bikes. The generation after that is more likely to be the one that needs a new frame design and auxiliary electrics system.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles