Sherwood Pines parking

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
As I currently work just down the road I'm gonna go for a blast after work, so about 4.30, anybody know the parking cost for an hour or 2?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The toilets are free and kept in very good condition. There is a bike wash for £2 if you need one, tokens at the bike shop. If you have a bike problem on site, it is worth calling around the back of the shop (to the left) to see if they can help. Nice bunch of guys, but don't take them for granted. Tea and buns available from the window at the back of the cafe, so you don't have to leave your bike unattended.

Your reg no is clocked when you drive in. You pay when you are ready to leave, so look out for the nearest one to your vehicle. Departure is via auto barriers that scan your reg no before raising. There is no way out without paying once your reg has been scanned.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Thanks guys, just got back to hotel for a pint! Great couple of laps, much better than I remember, it was 15 years ago though at least. E bike must help as well cos everywhere is a blast. Defo be going again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks guys, just got back to hotel for a pint! Great couple of laps, much better than I remember, it was 15 years ago though at least. E bike must help as well cos everywhere is a blast. Defo be going again.
A lot of trail development has been done to the trails at Pines in the last 15 years, a huge amount! For starters most of the boggy bits that made the red trail impassable in winter have been drained, paved or re-routed. Many new features have been added (there is a lot more rock for example , all of it imported), oh and there are now many marker posts. The blue is unrecognisable, but the green is mostly unchanged. Brand new toilet block (still no showers though), bike wash, bigger car parks. There is a bike shop and workshop although that may have already been there 15 years ago, I've only been going there 13 years.

In addition, there is a lot more to Pines than just the recognised trails. Look out for the Rideouts announced for off-piste rides there. I aim to do two this year for emtb forum members and their friends.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
There are no big hills at Pines, but they use what they have to good effect. I once rode with a guy who had Dalby Forest on his doorstep, he was begging for a rest less than half way round the red. He said that he could never stop pedalling.

They do indeed use to good effect and it certainly highlighted my poor suspension set up, or lack of!! not much is needed on the rolling hills of the wolds. Will keep an eye out for the rideouts you organise and will try and attend, time permitting. Now i've been it will be every thursday after work, weather permitting.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
I have been going since February, most Saturday mornings and have paid the £50 for a years unlimited parking.

Since I first did the blue route in February, I can see the improvements they have done.

DaveDog

Apr 16, 2021
Derbyshire
I've only just seen this thread. Currently having a conversation in the rideouts section and keen to go to Sherwood pines for the first time.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
Just done a couple of laps of the red this morning. Nice to see the closed sections back open again in the 2 weeks since I was last there too!

Did two laps of the Blue this morning (don't think I'm ready for Red yet).

We need to wear a flower in our helmets so we can find EMTB forum users ?

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Did two laps of the Blue this morning (don't think I'm ready for Red yet).

We need to wear a flower in our helmets so we can find EMTB forum users ?

I find on my ebike the red is much more enjoyable than the blue, whereas it's definitely the opposite on an analogue bike as there are so many flowing sections on the blue that suit over 15.5mph. There is nothing on the red that can't be rolled or avoided if you don't feel comfortable - give it a go ?

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
I find on my ebike the red is much more enjoyable than the blue, whereas it's definitely the opposite on an analogue bike as there are so many flowing sections on the blue that suit over 15.5mph. There is nothing on the red that can't be rolled or avoided if you don't feel comfortable - give it a go ?

Tried Red last month on my analogue bike, it killed me, couldn't manage it. First ride on the eMTB today, so maybe try Red next week.
Only been MTBing for 4 months, so slowly getting cardio fitter.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Tried Red last month on my analogue bike, it killed me, couldn't manage it. First ride on the eMTB today, so maybe try Red next week.
Only been MTBing for 4 months, so slowly getting cardio fitter.
All you have to do is to stop for a breather, off to one side of the trail obvs. Someone will be along before too long so you can have a chat.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thursday again and bought my bike to work but the weather ain't brilliant. How's the pines in the wet??
I was out this morning (Thu) and it was great, even after all the rain we've had. I tend to ride off-piste which gets less hammer than the designated trails. But then again, they don't get maintained except by me and a few other people unknown to me (God bless them, whoever they are!). Where I did ride the red, blue or green they were all fine; grippy with a few small puddles.

Pines has a seemingly inexhaustible capacity to soak up rain until all of a sudden it doesn't, and then the trails sprout puddles everywhere. The soil is sandy and drains easily, and from Spring to Autumn the trees drink a lot of water. Then the trees go into hibernation and the rain increases. Once the water table rises to the surface, that's it! Even a little bit of rain produced lots of deep and large puddles.

Pines used to be most unpleasant from about late October until late February, the only respite being when it was frozen solid. But over the years, Forest England have done a huge amount to drain the worst bits, go around them if they can't, or have armoured the surface to stop the bikes digging deeper and deeper holes. As a consequence, Pines is ridable all year round now.

The answer to your question is that Pines is riding just fine right now. It's grippy with a few puddles, but unless we get some torrential rain for a few weeks, I doubt that we will see the big puddles everywhere like used to happen.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
I was out this morning (Thu) and it was great, even after all the rain we've had. I tend to ride off-piste which gets less hammer than the designated trails. But then again, they don't get maintained except by me and a few other people unknown to me (God bless them, whoever they are!). Where I did ride the red, blue or green they were all fine; grippy with a few small puddles.

Pines has a seemingly inexhaustible capacity to soak up rain until all of a sudden it doesn't, and then the trails sprout puddles everywhere. The soil is sandy and drains easily, and from Spring to Autumn the trees drink a lot of water. Then the trees go into hibernation and the rain increases. Once the water table rises to the surface, that's it! Even a little bit of rain produced lots of deep and large puddles.

Pines used to be most unpleasant from about late October until late February, the only respite being when it was frozen solid. But over the years, Forest England have done a huge amount to drain the worst bits, go around them if they can't, or have armoured the surface to stop the bikes digging deeper and deeper holes. As a consequence, Pines is ridable all year round now.

The answer to your question is that Pines is riding just fine right now. It's grippy with a few puddles, but unless we get some torrential rain for a few weeks, I doubt that we will see the big puddles everywhere like used to happen.
Thanks for that Steve, another great ride. Plenty of puddles but generally good, couple of laps, a visit to the bike park, then a few runs on the downhill section which was great. Got chatting to a guy there on a hardtail(analogue) from Newark way on, really nice chap pointed me in the right direction, mentioned the forum and he said is that the one with "Steve" i'm pretty sure he meant you!!!, mentioned all the good off piste stuff, defo want to join a ride out or just spend a day or so exploring.

Major Stare

May 5, 2021
Nottinghamshire
The blue is just over 6 miles, quick and flowing. Some twisty bits, inclines and descents.
Only been mountain biking for 4 months and last week was my first time on the eMTB, I did the blue in 26min.

Blokie

May 30, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
I find the blue to be excellent on an analogue bike as it's really flowing with only a couple of reasonably hard work climbs, but on the emtb it's frustrating more often than enjoyable due to the 15.5mph cutoff, as you're hitting it constantly on many sections.

sunstoner

Aug 2, 2020
Nottinghamshire

I always find the Red route like being on a rollercoaster. Its bananas. Once you're on, youre on! :p Im just pleased theres gap between each section enough for a quick drink stop. ;D

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
after a quick thrash on the red this evening i thought i'd try the blue, its ok to be fair, i enjoyed it. Helps that the bikepark/downhill section is halfway round so had a few runs on that. Very busy in places, forgot it was half term.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There are a few places at Pines where the red and blue either cross over, share a trail for a short section, or get very close so that you can swap over. Before I started doing the off-piste stuff I used to ride the red and blue together, swapping from one to the other. You can do several different 18 mile circuits that way.

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
There are a few places at Pines where the red and blue either cross over, share a trail for a short section, or get very close so that you can swap over. Before I started doing the off-piste stuff I used to ride the red and blue together, swapping from one to the other. You can do several different 18 mile circuits that way.
think i better join you on your rideout Steve and learn some more about the area. Been out with a work colleague tonight parked near to the pines but went to clumber and sherwood parks, taking it steady as he has just had a knee op, was good to see new places.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles