Selling an emtb - no warranty

RiderOnTheStorm

Yes, brand new, sub-4K eMTBs that are well equipped (for trail/all mountain use) can easily be found these days from large retailers and online stores. Plus, prices can always be negociated if you pay cash or in full. Many large stores match competitors' prices, have some price guarantee policy. Just need to ask. Not sure why someone would take the risk to buy a second hand bike when you can get a new product with full warranty and no prior history at similar cost.

Last edited:

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
My friends have sold a couple of them with no real challenges, and I sold one. Of course there’s no warranty, as is, come and get it. I got $2500 for a bike that had cost us $3800 about three years before.

Richwales96

Apr 23, 2021
Wales
Recently sold a 2018 Merida. 2nd motor on it with 2 months warranty left. Sold it for 35% of costs. Bikes will sell but you’ve got be realistic with the asking price

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Here there is a buying season and a selling season.
It depends some bikes/ebikes have a good reputation
and they are easier to sell.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
You lot need to start worrying when were trying to buy or sell electric cars on the second hand market if the government has there way that is ,
Pedelecs will be a drop in the ocean financially then :)
No way am I being mugged in to buying an electric car
Big con
I wouldn't even get to my brothers place just short of the Scottish border without having to fully recharge it again standing about for hours

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
I own an EV and you couldn't give me a free ICE again. When I visit my brother a state over, I have to charge 1-2 times, depending on various factors. It takes 10-14 minutes, which is actually the amount of time it takes to go inside and urinate, get another drink, maybe get food. I've lost nothing, other than the massive expense. Last year we saved $3900 on gasoline and spent $330 on electric for it. No maintenance, no brakes or filters or really anything to do other than the cabin air filter, $20. And I leave the house full, never stopping at a dirty gas station again.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I own an EV and you couldn't give me a free ICE again. When I visit my brother a state over, I have to charge 1-2 times, depending on various factors. It takes 10-14 minutes, which is actually the amount of time it takes to go inside and urinate, get another drink, maybe get food. I've lost nothing, other than the massive expense. Last year we saved $3900 on gasoline and spent $330 on electric for it. No maintenance, no brakes or filters or really anything to do other than the cabin air filter, $20. And I leave the house full, never stopping at a dirty gas station again.
If there were as many places I could charge up as there are where I could fill up, then maybe I'd get an electric car. But not until then. Even at the places where there are charging points, they are either occupied, not working, or are low charge rate points that take ages to supply what you need. Also, no standardisation on plug and sockets. The UK government has decided that no more ic-engined cars can be sold new from 2025 (or is it 2030, it doesn't really matter we will not be not ready in either case). Almost 50% of the public charging points are in London which is great for all the policy makers, but NBG for the rest of us. I doubt that there are enough power stations to supply the energy required if all the cars switched to battery powered.

At the risk of being boring, one more point...

The batteries will last about 7 years, with range declining as they age. A new battery costs between £7k - £12k. Just think what that will do to the used car market! If I am forced to buy an EV it will be Personal Contract Purchase for me, let the car company take the risk.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
If there were as many places I could charge up as there are where I could fill up, then maybe I'd get an electric car. But not until then. Even at the places where there are charging points, they are either occupied, not working, or are low charge rate points that take ages to supply what you need. Also, no standardisation on plug and sockets. The UK government has decided that no more ic-engined cars can be sold new from 2025 (or is it 2030, it doesn't really matter we will not be not ready in either case). Almost 50% of the public charging points are in London which is great for all the policy makers, but NBG for the rest of us. I doubt that there are enough power stations to supply the energy required if all the cars switched to battery powered.

The batteries will last about 7 years, with range declining as they age. A new battery costs between £7k - £12k. Just think what that will do to the used car market! If I am forced to buy an EV it will be Personal Contract Purchase for me, let the car company take the risk.
I remember seeing a video of a guy blowing up his Tesler because of issues with the battery
I believe it was something to do with cost of a new battery ?

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
Getting back to the topic
If I remember one main reason about Schrader valves is that they can leak air far more than the other because you are tightening that little nut up to seal the valve

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
It's always super amusing to read about the doom and gloom of EVs from people who don't own one and have no clue. Seven year batteries, LOL, but hey at least it's not like the idiot who told me yesterday that most only last four years at best.

Two of my friends have 2013 Teslas holding 90% range, and another has a 2009 Roadster at 80%.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
It's always super amusing to read about the doom and gloom of EVs from people who don't own one and have no clue. Seven year batteries, LOL, but hey at least it's not like the idiot who told me yesterday that most only last four years at best.

Two of my friends have 2013 Teslas holding 90% range, and another has a 2009 Roadster at 80%.
I've got to ask how many miles have they done in there cars
I'm getting through 40,000miles a year in my diesel and that two services a year

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
The Roadster is pretty low for the age, around 50k. The other two are in the 150k-200k range. No brake pads, a couple of minor warranty repairs. One had to do struts on his own dime, the other nothing. With average US pricing, that's around $22k in fuel, and they spent $2300 on electricity. And mostly nothing on maintenance.

Again in the US, the Tesla charger network is everywhere you need it to be, mostly. There are extreme rural spaces with no chargers in a couple areas. Places where the population has two digits. Otherwise when I go on a road trip, I know there are multiple chargers for me. It's been absolutely zero impediment.

40k miles/year would mean that an EV is free for you, if your electric rate is reasonable. Here we pay 5.1 cents per KWH, and you get about four miles per KWH. You can do the math there. Superchargers (public chargers) cost more of course, a lot more. But I always charge at home except on a long distance trip.

E-MAD MALC

Subscriber
Nov 16, 2021
EAST SUSSEX
The Roadster is pretty low for the age, around 50k. The other two are in the 150k-200k range. No brake pads, a couple of minor warranty repairs. One had to do struts on his own dime, the other nothing. With average US pricing, that's around $22k in fuel, and they spent $2300 on electricity. And mostly nothing on maintenance.

Again in the US, the Tesla charger network is everywhere you need it to be, mostly. There are extreme rural spaces with no chargers in a couple areas. Places where the population has two digits. Otherwise when I go on a road trip, I know there are multiple chargers for me. It's been absolutely zero impediment.

40k miles/year would mean that an EV is free for you, if your electric rate is reasonable. Here we pay 5.1 cents per KWH, and you get about four miles per KWH. You can do the math there. Superchargers (public chargers) cost more of course, a lot more. But I always charge at home except on a long distance trip.
This country can't seem to get there act together and sort out the charging fercilities
Thay want everyone to be doing electric car by the turn of this decade no chance at the rate there moving
Last Xmas there were 30 Teslars cars queuing to use a handful of chargers
It must be putting people off the sales of EV's apparently has dropped off about 18% here
I pay 45pence a day standing charge and 34pence KW
Last year it was half that bloody ripe off

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

Your banging your head against a wall trying to explain, I've given up.
When you know, you know 😉

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

The 7-year figure came from a motoring program on a national TV program dedicated to electric cars and how wonderful they are. Just like a normal motoring program except it's all electric and if anything biased in favour.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Just like a normal motoring program except it's all electric and if anything biased in favour.

And yet still totally wrong. All I can do is shake my head and laugh.

I parked next to a first-gen Model S yesterday, at a biking/hiking trailhead. He was riding an Amish bike, but when he saw EV and electric bike he had to start a conversation about ebikes. He's at 200k miles on his Tesla and no battery loss to speak of, and of course, no maintenance costs. He had two warranty repairs and then nothing since. That's around $21k in gasoline saved, he calculated (at US prices that are pretty cheap).

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA

I'm accustomed to seeing a certain amount of EV ignorance on the Internet in general, but I didn't think I would find it on an eBike forum! My wife and I have two Model 3's we bought 5 years ago and they are the best cars we've ever had. Even on roadtrips. I don't know how much truth there is to the third-party chargers being Inconvenient and unreliable (I don't use them), but I can tell you the Tesla Supercharger Network is not like that at all. My typical Supercharging stop is 15 minutes on long road trips and I have to hurry to take care of business. There is essentially zero waiting. I've never had to wait in line to charge (unlike with my gas cars, the stations with the best prices often had lines), the reliability of the Supercharger Network can't be beat, and they are FAST! My eBikes take hours to charge back up, not our EV's!

Unless Tesla opens their entire Supercharger Network up to cars with CCS charge ports, there really is only one choice if you like to drive long distances, a Tesla, and they all come with basic Autopilot for long freeway drives. I don't know how long it's going to take the CCS fast charging networks to start getting favorable reviews and competitive pricing. Tesla did the right thing when they used their own money to build a world class fast charging network as if the needs of their customers actually mattered. Funny how we don't see any fast chargers by Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM or VW (who only built them when forced to as part of a court settlement for committing pollution fraud).

Battery longevity? :LOL: Tesla battery packs will typically last 10-20 years or 200,000-500,000 miles. That's with the earlier generations of batteries. Newer packs can go up to a million miles before the range drops off enough to replace them. Heck, even the early packs are warrantied 8 years/120,000 miles and I don't think Tesla would be profitable if they were failing in 7 years! Tesla has one of the lowest warranty expenses in the automotive business, lower than most manufacturers of internal combustion powered cars.

We just bought our third Tesla, and our first used one, a 2018 Long-Range Model 3 with over 70,000 miles. It came new with 310 EPA miles and currently still has 302 miles of range after 5 years. That's less than 3% loss which is far less than 1% range lost per year. It's a little beat up by previous owners but it was only $28K and still drives like a new car. The powertrain is rock solid even though the previous owner never once changed the oil and filters. Oh, snap! Maybe that's because Tesla says there are no oil and filter changes!

Much of this EV ignorance is driven by negative misinformation campaigns to slow down the adoption of EV's by drivers of gas and diesel cars. There are plenty of big money interests out there that want you to think EV's are not quite ready yet. But nothing could be further from the truth. They just want to slow down the transition to EV's because it will be financial Armageddon to a long list of companies, and most of them are not even automakers!

Last edited:

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Be cool buy/sell local.

When I sold my last eMTB I provided buyer with my contact information and proof of warranty registration. If he has issues I have no qualms over handling any warranty claims within the term of the warranty. Buyer lived local enough it wouldn't be an issue for either of us.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
'm accustomed to seeing a certain amount of EV ignorance on the Internet in general, but I didn't think I would find it on an eBike forum!

I was shocked too.

Unless Tesla opens their entire Supercharger Network up to cars with CCS charge ports, there really is only one choice if you like to drive long distances, a Tesla, and they all come with basic Autopilot for long freeway drives.

They are, right now, in that process. Unlike the others where I have to figure out/buy the adapter, Tesla is retrofitting the adapter into the Superchargers.

Born2ski691

May 2, 2023
United States
Pink bike seems nutty pricing. Everyone is listing 2500 mile bikes at 2/3 of Murphey while discounts on new bikes are abundant.

It just really seems insane to spend more than 1/2 price on a 500 ish miles used emtb and maybe 30% or less on something that’s got over 2000 miles? New with 15-25% off seems the way to go imho.

Yet I search used… what’s wrong with me? 😂

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
How so? Explain please.

Everything from taxes to regulations to how people view the world. They pay twice as much for sales tax, so the used market, bypassing sales tax, would be different. There are different warranty regulations (both for better and for worse), so again, the new/used equation changes.

If you're talking about EVs, all of that, plus the fact that infrastructure and spaces are radically different. You can drive between countries there faster than I can get to the next major city.

RiderOnTheStorm

New with 15-25% off seems the way to go imho.
Exactly. Why take a chance on a used bike when you can buy new and with warranty at a similar, highly discounted price.

You need to be willing to settle for last year's models, don't rush, patiently wait for sales and bargain deals, and also take advantage of stores price matching policy. Patience is key, like with everything else....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Price for public EV charging is £0.70-£1/kWh. Even home charging is £0.35 unless you’re on an EV tariff. Somewhat different to $0.06/kWh. The infrastructure in the UK is massively inferior to the USA too.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If I lived in the USA then I may share the views of the USA EV fans, but I live here in the UK. My comments about EV are not aimed at EV cars per se, but the infrastructure in the UK. The UK is not ready and will not be ready. It is OK in London and surrounding area, but there are simply not enough charging points for the rest of us. If right now, I could do a 300 miles round trip in the winter with my bike on the back, then I would reconsider. Assuming that I could afford to buy it of course.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles