Selling after 3 weeks! / What bike value??

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Hey Guys, So a few weeks ago i purchased a Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 mountain bike.
This one: Cube Reaction Electric Bike Hybrid Pro 625 2022 Bosch – E-BikeShop UK

And first of all its absolutely fantastic, ive been commuting (15 miles each way), through forest trails, absolutely pisses up the hills, ive gone places i would never have gone on a non E-bike. Have done 350 miles in 2 weeks!

However since ive been going places that i would not have normally gone (rough forest trails), i have regretted getting a hard-tail.

So have now ordered a Cube Stereo Hybrid 160
smile
https://www.mtbmonster.com/cube-stereo-hybrid-160-...

So i now have a 3 week old immaculate bike to sell!! I paid £3K for it, so i would like to get as much as i can back.

I have no idea on what the value of such a new second hand bike would be. I have someone at work who jokingly (sort of serious) offered me £2K to take it away. But feel it should be a little more than this?

So what sort of value should i be looking at?

Cheers

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sorry to have to say this, but you will be lucky to get much more than £2k for your old bike. And the longer you take to sell it, the less you will get for it. Whoever buys the bike will have zero warranty for starters, unless CUBE is willing to transfer the warranty. If it's a mate you are selling to, you could always do a deal with him, come warranty time. You present the bike as still yours. You both have to be comfortable with that and to trust each other. If you believe that your relationship is sound enough, I'd go back and negotiate with him.

i know it's not a car, but most cars lose a staggering amount of money as soon as they leave the showroom. It's not just emtbs.

-Matt

Aug 14, 2022
Stroud
Sorry to have to say this, but you will be lucky to get much more than £2k for your old bike. And the longer you take to sell it, the less you will get for it. Whoever buys the bike will have zero warranty for starters, unless CUBE is willing to transfer the warranty. If it's a mate you are selling to, you could always do a deal with him, come warranty time. You present the bike as still yours. You both have to be comfortable with that and to trust each other. If you believe that your relationship is sound enough, I'd go back and negotiate with him.

i know it's not a car, but most cars lose a staggering amount of money as soon as they leave the showroom. It's not just emtbs.

Thanks, TBH for an easy sale i would take £2250 off him ( so not hugely out), i would be surprised if the warranty couldn't be transferred/still be valid with an invoice?
And too be fair i suppose £600 of the £3K was VAT!

Its a great deal for someone who is in the market, and a good lesson for me and my impulsiveness!!!

Will see if he will negotiate....

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks, TBH for an easy sale i would take £2250 off him ( so not hugely out), i would be surprised if the warranty couldn't be transferred/still be valid with an invoice?
And too be fair i suppose £600 of the £3K was VAT!

Its a great deal for someone who is in the market, and a good lesson for me and my impulsiveness!!!

Will see if he will negotiate....

If you can get only £2k then take it, no point in arguing about £250. Any other buyer won't know the bikes history so you'll probably be offered a lot less.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I'd 'begrudgingly' say to him £2250 and make it look like you're gutted to be losing so much. He's still getting a bargain of a bike and you are very unlikely to get any more for it elsewhere.
You can assist with any warranty issues as well. It doesn't transfer to the new owner.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
In old times, you could find an arrangement with the shop where you bought both bikes.
They then sold it at a reduced price as "test-bike", with full warranty.
Nothing wrong with that at only 500km.

Don't know what the possibilities are at the moment with those online purchases.
I saw shops that accept returns.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Non transferable warranties are a scandal, an egregious abuse of customers. A warranty shoould be a guarantee of the performance of a product, not of the individual who stumped up the cash for it.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Non transferable warranties are a scandal, an egregious abuse of customers.
For other goods, I know the warranty is still valid if customer 2 provides the original invoice of customer 1 from an official dealer.
The shop does not have to be the same, when they are known as dealer they have to offer the service.
The actual person who returns the goods and fills in the paperwork is irrelevant.

I don't know why this law would not apply to ebikes, whatever the seller/manufacturer says.

The only limitations I know are unofficial import and international remarketing organisations.

UK took over the EU regulation about warranties.
Here are some exmples, including diferent countries, difference between commercial and legal warranty, persons, costs,...

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
UK took over the EU regulation about warranties.
There has been no substantive changes to UK consumer goods law since Brexit, other than a loss of access to dispute resolution mechanisms, which is wholly distinct from individual company warranty offers. Brexit is shit enough without making stuff up. It is unhelpful.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
With "other than a loss of access to dispute resolution mechanisms" you mean: the customer has that right, but there is nowhere to go if they refuse?

Can you explain: "which is wholly distinct from individual company warranty offers."
English is my 3rd language.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
I'm saying Brexit has changed nothing is respect of warranty policies offered by bike manufacturers. Yet. It's two different issues. The serious issue with warranties being non transferable in the majority of cases is a heavy suppresion of second hand values.

Like the guy above, selling what is for all intents and purposes, a new bike, the next owner will rightfully point out that if the frame breaks in two after a week, he has no remedy & will offer a price accordingly. I am aware this is not exclusive to bike brands, far from it but it is at best a vote of no confidence in bikes by the people who make them & at worst, artificially maintaining the market for new bikes by effectively turning them into disposable items.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm saying Brexit has changed nothing is respect of warranty policies offered by bike manufacturers. Yet. It's two different issues. The serious issue with warranties being non transferable in the majority of cases is a heavy suppresion of second hand values.

Like the guy above, selling what is for all intents and purposes, a new bike, the next owner will rightfully point out that if the frame breaks in two after a week, he has no remedy & will offer a price accordingly. I am aware this is not exclusive to bike brands, far from it but it is at best a vote of no confidence in bikes by the people who make them & at worst, artificially maintaining the market for new bikes by effectively turning them into disposable items.

Mountain bikes are not being turned into anything they were not before, they have always been disposable recreational consumer items.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
May be shocking if you realise it while doing te 5000eur bank transfer, but the last 20 years I also had to buy every 2-3 years a new disposable phone for 200-400 euro.

One day the value of our bikes will be lower than the price of a new battery or motor, and then we will dismantle them for the parts, or sell it for 500euro.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
To be fair the Vehicle manufacturers see there products as disposable items and with the average car being 20k plus its not a great situation
Dare i say nothing lasts for ever and the world we live in is a throw away world
Things used to get repaired TVs for example repaired ,vacuum cleaners etc i could go on but what happens now ? in the bin buy a new one
Terrible but true .

In answer to the OP and to only echo others take the 2k and be happy its as good as your going to get , You may be lucking and get a few pounds more if you wait and find the right person but ....

Unfortunately last week our out-of-warranty washing machine broke down. The spare part will cost ~£280 to replace and I could help save the planet, but a comparable new machine with 2 years warranty will cost ~£420. No prize for guessing what I decided to do this morning.

ShinySideUp

Jun 4, 2022
UK
Fridges, washing machines, kettles, all disposable, probably all meant to be disposable by the manufacturers, ebikes being no exception. It is what made me um and ah over buying an ebike knowing that in a few years it would be worthless when either the battery or the motor packed up, but being in my late sixties, in the end I didn't think it would make much difference. I have a non-ebike that I could probably keep going for a hundred years -- you know, handle and head on a broom thing -- so long as the frame didn't crack. Ebikes are doomed from the moment you buy them as in a few short years the batteries can't be replaced (old tech and all that) and new motors won't fit. I have a Cube Hybrid Reaction Pro too and I too thought about having made a mistake but unlike you, a hardtail is fine for me and I've chosen to uprate the forks instead as the originals are truly rubbish. So now if I sold my Cube, I'd lose even more money than you.

Bite the bullet; if you aren't happy with it, sell it, take the loss and put it down to experience.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
To be fair the Vehicle manufacturers see there products as disposable items and with the average car being 20k plus its not a great situation
Dare i say nothing lasts for ever and the world we live in is a throw away world
Things used to get repaired TVs for example repaired ,vacuum cleaners etc i could go on but what happens now ? in the bin buy a new one
Terrible but true .

In answer to the OP and to only echo others take the 2k and be happy its as good as your going to get , You may be lucking and get a few pounds more if you wait and find the right person but ....
" A bird in the hand..............."

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I have brought and sold many ebike (mainly my mistakes by not doing my homework properly ) some have only been ridden for a few miles
Sadly lost loads of money on them every time

thewrx

Sep 4, 2019
US
Feck that its a new bike, demand is still high, and supply is limited, you should be able to sell it for what new msrp is, just make sure you have a detailed add witt good pics. Whether or not you get the bike + tax total cost might be a stretch, but still possible.

biggest thing going against you would be the hard-tail imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles