Searching for emtb resources. Broke ep8.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Problem solved: Got advice from reddit to rim mount the magnet. 1km of riding it worked. The error e050 cleared and the bike works normal again. Switched the magnet back into the cam and it's derestricted again and works fine. If you have e050 there is nothing wrong with the motor. If you have a disc mount it doesn't help switching it back into the original position because the speed is too low or the standard magnet is too weak. I 3D printed a magnet mount and hot glued it into the rim. The example I got from reddit he just stuck the magnets straight onto the rim. He used Gorilla epoxy as it is stronger than hot glue.

You don't need to replace the engine error code e050 just clears with the right placing of a magnet. Disc magnets don't work even if that is the original magnet placing. Needs to be rim mounted or close to it.

Thanks to everyone who had reasonable respectful answers. Lot of garbage people here who are disrespectful and then are offended when they get back what they asked for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shimano Ep8 700km ridden. Pedal deristriction. Error code e050. Shimano basically fuck your warranty. Don't have the bluetooth display so would need to buy that for firmware reset. Reset the bike to normal magnet location and rode 10km and it didn't help.

I'm thinking of switching to Bosch. I've heard they respect warranty. Shimano from what I've gathered is the worst motor out of the big ones. Just bought it because it was locally available. Not sure how Brose and Specialized would compare. Had a used 2018 Turbo Levo and it went back the owner chain and was replaced free by Specialized. I think the belt came off on that one which was a type fault as I understand. Bike also had contact problems so the wire harness had to be replaced.

Unfortunate timing as I would've sold in less than a month. Now it looks like I'll have to buy a new motor. Which I was prepared for as things can break. But it's been a really dry summer and these are the last dry days. No mud anywhere. Already been a week with this problem. Also why I don't want to max out on bike price because it makes problems like this worse as everything is more expensive and you've already spent more to begin with. Really liked the spec on Devinci AC 12S because everything is cheaply replaced. Except the motor. And one aspect Devinci got right is the BB height at 364mm on the higher setting. 365mm BB and 160mm cranks is what I'm looking for but pretty much the only model I've seen with such high BB. Really want it for a emtb. So many pedal strikes.

Last edited:

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Been down the same road as you with an e8000 motor, SHITMANO motors... anyway ended up replacing the motor, $2000 job and sold the bike. Now got a Bosch motored Sam2 6.9 and loving the extra power of the new motor.
My advice, fix it, sell it and buy a Bosch

Last edited:

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Shimano Ep8 700km ridden. Pedal deristriction. Error code e050. Shimano basically fuck your warranty. Don't have the bluetooth display so would need to buy that for firmware reset. Reset the bike to normal magnet location and rode 10km and it didn't help.

I'm thinking of switching to Bosch. I've heard they respect warranty. Shimano from what I've gathered is the worst motor out of the big ones. Just bought it because it was locally available. Not sure how Brose and Specialized would compare. Had a used 2018 Turbo Levo and it went back the owner chain and was replaced free by Specialized. I think the belt came off on that one which was a type fault as I understand. Bike also had contact problems so the wire harness had to be replaced.

Unfortunate timing as I would've sold in less than a month. Now it looks like I'll have to buy a new motor. Which I was prepared for as things can break. But it's been a really dry summer and these are the last dry days. No mud anywhere. Already been a week with this problem. Also why I don't want to max out on bike price because it makes problems like this worse as everything is more expensive and you've already spent more to begin with. Really liked the spec on Devinci AC 12S because everything is cheaply replaced. Except the motor. And one aspect Devinci got right is the BB height at 364mm on the higher setting. 365mm BB and 160mm cranks is what I'm looking for but pretty much the only model I've seen with such high BB. Really want it for a emtb. So many pedal strikes.

Are you saying that they wouldn't honour the warranty because you'd used the pedal/crank hack to de-ristrict the motor?

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Are you surprised that Shimano won't fix the bike that you modified?
Since it's common knowledge that bike companies don't replace motors that have been modified, why did you do it?

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Some people🙄🙄would you stick a turbo on a new car and then take it back to claim warranty when it blows up probably not so why complain now?? Everybody knows the risk of destriction

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Some people🙄🙄would you stick a turbo on a new car and then take it back to claim warranty when it blows up probably not so why complain now?? Everybody knows the risk of destriction

Quite naive comparison on your part. Pedaling the bike above the restriction doesn't affect the strain a motor experiences. The most strain it gets is when it's pedaled at low cadences standing in short uphills. You should think before accepting what you are told as gospel.

If you have nothing intelligent or constructive to say it's better to just keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Are you surprised that Shimano won't fix the bike that you modified?
Since it's common knowledge that bike companies don't replace motors that have been modified, why did you do it?

No I'm not surprised. The problem is two fold. 1. The derestriction doesn't effect the wear on the motor so calling it modification is pretty silly. So no it shouldn't affect warranty, it's just a copout. 2. Shimano basically said they aren't doing anything so they are just leaving the customer to the wind. Basically saying fuck you for buying our product.

And obviously to get rid of the speed limit quite a silly question.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Do tuning dongles or chips cause any damage?
We have never seen any damage caused to a motor by the use of a de-restricting device.

Exactly. It doesn't effect the wear on the motor or make it act in any unintended way. People just accept what they are told and don't think for themselves. The motor experiences the same forces and cadences. The most strain it recieves is stomping the pedals in short steep uphills. Not when just pedaling at a steady cadence.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Been down the same road as you with an e8000 motor, SHITMANO motors... anyway ended up replacing the motor, $2000 job and sold the bike. Now got a Bosch motored Sam2 6.9 and loving the extra power of the new motor.

Shitmano absolutely thank you 😂. TheT is loud. It's not written but pronounced. Opposite of silent letters.

2000$ wtf. Isn't the motor like 800€?

Yeah I was going to sell anyway this month.

Chris ledger

Aug 17, 2021
Rotherham
Quite naive comparison on your part. Pedaling the bike above the restriction doesn't affect the strain a motor experiences. The most strain it gets is when it's pedaled at low cadences standing in short uphills. You should think before accepting what you are told as gospel.

If you have nothing intelligent or constructive to say it's better to just keep your mouth shut.
Maybe its just the fact that you have done something that invalidates your warranty. Yes the motor is designed to do 20mph like you can run in america but chipping putting a box on it screws the warranty you know that and still derestrict so you deal with the consequences.
I waited till my warranty ran out on my e8000 then deristricted it and did a 1000 miles plus without any problems.
If the motor did fail after that i would not have cried and moaned about the shitty shimano warranty.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Maybe its just the fact that you have done something that invalidates your warranty. Yes the motor is designed to do 20mph like you can run in america but chipping putting a box on it screws the warranty you know that and still derestrict so you deal with the consequences.
I waited till my warranty ran out on my e8000 then deristricted it and did a 1000 miles plus without any problems.
If the motor did fail after that i would not have cried and moaned about the shitty shimano warranty.

I just stated what happened. Only one crying uselessly here is you buddy. And you don't even seem to have read the post. I didn't use a chip. What voids the warranty is Shimano sees it acts differently with the magnet placing. With a chip the signature is normal. Although they can still see it's limited below 25kmh using a chip so not sure if they will accept that or not.

And what makes what you are doing here even dumber is that you are also a consumer so you are just pissing on yourself here with your negativity. Derestriction doesn't effect the function of a motor in any way. So at this point I have to assume you don't know how a turbo works either as that is a really dumb comparison to use in this case. Try thinking before saying things.

Have a nice ignore.

Last edited:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
calling it modification is pretty silly.

I may be silly, but my bike works just fine.

ha-ha-sucks-to-be-you-quickmeme-com-sucks-to-be-49426171.png

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I understand and, to a certain extent, share your frustration Rawmance. but we are stuffed by European regulations which allow manufacturers to dodge the bullet. We have to tamper with a motor for it to perform to a level accepted in other parts of the world but that tampering
I may be silly, but my bike works just fine.

View attachment 96827

Your right, it does suck to be us over here in Europe riding round with assistance up to 15 mph and easy to snigger when you are riding round at twenty mph in the States.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Is abusing people really necessary ?? just because they disagree with you or is Rawmance just a wanking prick???

Anyone who has replied with respect has gotten only respect back. I only respond with the same tone. So no sorry it's not me being a prick. It's not about disagreeing or having an opinion. I don't start shit but there are many people here who do. It's just pathetic to expect respect when you don't have any yourself.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
That's exactly what he's saying. This is a very confusing and useless thread.

The motor is not broken. Works fine. Just had to put the magnet on the rim instead of the disc. System is not designed for the disc mount so it doesn't clear the error because the signal isn't strong enough.

If you have an e050 error the motor works perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with it. But as you see people here have already paid over a thousand $ to replace a shimano motor that has nothing wrong with it. Just Shimano's own software bricking their own motor...

So please tell me more about being useless.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
I understand and, to a certain extent, share your frustration Rawmance. but we are stuffed by European regulations which allow manufacturers to dodge the bullet. We have to tamper with a motor for it to perform to a level accepted in other parts of the world but that tampering

Your right, it does suck to be us over here in Europe riding round with assistance up to 15 mph and easy to snigger when you are riding round at twenty mph in the States.

The problem isn't that you have to circumvent the speed limit. It's just what the law requires. The problem is Shimano bricks their own engine. It's a software lock there is nothing wrong with the motor. I switched the magnet into the rim and it cleared e050 error. The system isn't designed for a disc mount magnet so it doesn't clear the error.

WNH

Dec 21, 2020
CA USA
The motor is not broken. Works fine. Just had to put the magnet on the rim instead of the disc. System is not designed for the disc mount so it doesn't clear the error because the signal isn't strong enough.

If you have an e050 error the motor works perfectly fine. Nothing wrong with it. But as you see people here have already paid over a thousand $ to replace a shimano motor that has nothing wrong with it. Just Shimano's own software bricking their own motor...

So please tell me more about being useless.
Or, just use the bike/motor the way it was intended to be used. Shimano have done more R&D on this product than any of us will ever become aware of. Their warranty is written as such. By your own admission, you have breached that warranty. Thus, a redundant...useless thread.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Or, just use the bike/motor the way it was intended to be used. Shimano have done more R&D on this product than any of us will ever become aware of. Their warranty is written as such. By your own admission, you have breached that warranty. Thus, a redundant...useless thread.

Like I already said there is no extra strain on the motor when it's pedaled at over 25kmh. I've never had full assist in those speeds. The only time It has nothing to do with R&D and it's just Shimano's way to cop out. And as I've also stated there was nothing wrong with the engine. It's just Shimano's own code killing the engine for the cam magnet. I reset it with a rim magnet that I made myself and cleared the error and right back to the cam magnet and it works fine no problems.

You can think for yourself you don't need to accept whatever idiotic stuff you are told.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
14 posts in and already veteran enough to make this statement

aha !

Like I said to anyone who responds with respect I only return the respect. But with any assholes such as yourself who just want to be disrespectful I reply the same way back. That makes you the prick not me.

You can check the thread.

WNH

Dec 21, 2020
CA USA
Like I already said there is no extra strain on the motor when it's pedaled at over 25kmh. I've never had full assist in those speeds. The only time It has nothing to do with R&D and it's just Shimano's way to cop out. And as I've also stated there was nothing wrong with the engine. It's just Shimano's own code killing the engine for the cam magnet. I reset it with a rim magnet that I made myself and cleared the error and right back to the cam magnet and it works fine no problems.

You can think for yourself you don't need to accept whatever idiotic stuff you are told.
Ignorance is an enemy, even to its owner. Knowledge is a friend, even to its hater.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
Ignorance is an enemy, even to its owner. Knowledge is a friend, even to its hater.

Yes meaning you just accept what you are told instead of thinking if it makes any sense.

And you probably aren't even reading what I'm writing so here you go again. Pedaling over 25kmh doesn't change the forces the motor is subjected to. Same force, same cadence. I've never had full assist going over 25kmh. Only times are at slower speeds in short steep punchy climbs...

It has nothing to do with the motor being harmed. Again because you don't seem to read anything. Nothing wrong with a motor with an e050 error. It's just a software lock.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland

I'm assuming you had a spoke magnet with a e8000?

Just fixed mine works derestricted again. Original disc magnet did not work. Got advice from reddit to rim mount DIY. Did and it cleared the error in 1km of riding. Switch back to cam magnet. Works as normal.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
I'm assuming you had a spoke magnet with a e8000?

Just fixed mine works derestricted again. Original disc magnet did not work. Got advice from reddit to rim mount DIY. Did and it cleared the error in 1km of riding. Switch back to cam magnet. Works as normal.
yeah had the spoke magnet and took it the LBS but they told me, after hooking up the Shitmano engine scanner, that the motor was toast. Just stopped working, perfect one day, f'ed up the next. Can't be much as it made no mechanical noises, has to be a small electrical problem, such as a broken lead or some transistor has sh1t itself. All very frustrating as I didn't mind the motor or the power output. Anyway ancient history now and loving the Bosch.

Rawmance

Sep 8, 2022
Finland
yeah had the spoke magnet and took it the LBS but they told me, after hooking up the Shitmano engine scanner, that the motor was toast. Just stopped working, perfect one day, f'ed up the next. Can't be much as it made no mechanical noises, has to be a small electrical problem, such as a broken lead or some transistor has sh1t itself. All very frustrating as I didn't mind the motor or the power output. Anyway ancient history now and loving the Bosch.

The shop guy said Bosch had the same problem. Didn't really delve further into it but going to ask him next time I visit. Do you know what he meant? Does Bosch have a e050 error that you need to reset? Does Bosch also not respect warranty? Or does Bosch also have a software lock for cam magnets? Or what? I've heard Bosch will replace your engine if it breaks.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Shitmano are meant to do the same, but as someone on here eloquently put, 'if they see so much as a fingerprint on the outside cases they will void the warranty'. Bosch are supposed to be better but I really don't want to find out, these Gen 4 motors seem to be a bit more reliable as they seem to have sorted out most of the gremlins in them. Fingers crossed anyway, all the motors seem to have their issues which is a shame for something so expensive and the amount of R&D that must have gone into them. I suppose they are only going to get better with time. Not sure of the error codes for the Bosch motors or about cam magnets or software locks, mine is bolted on with the rear disc

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles