Scott Patron 900 Bosch motor rattle

PJV

May 1, 2024
USA
I got a Scott Patron e-Ride 900 late last year from LBS here in the US and have since done about 300 miles with it, of which 100 was with assist off and the remainder mostly in e-MTB mode.
After about 200 miles, the Bosch motor started developing a rattle when going downhill. That continued to get worse to where there is now a rattle even when pedaling while going over rocks / roots. LBS has checked with Bosch and their feedback is this is normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

When looking at the forums, it sounds like some bikes (when new) with the Bosch Gen 4 motor has a rattle and some don't. Some feedback from Bosch is that the rattle would go away after e.g. 300 miles. What have you all seen? Anyone had a quiet bike that turned into a rattle can?

PJV

May 1, 2024
USA
Well, after spending more time reading through many of the comments on this forum about Bosch rattles, it sounds like my rattle is consistent with many others' experience, including Rob's. So I think I may just have answered my own question...

Looks like the bottom line (which is also where many others landed) is I should not have bought a Bosch equipped bike and should have kept to Brose equipped bikes, e.g. Specialized.

kla456

Mar 8, 2020
Dundee
Quite a jumpy line of thinking, if I may say so. I have had three Bosch Gen4 bikes (still have two) with no such issues. You bought a respected manufacture's bike fitted with a respected manufacturer's motor from a LBS less than a year ago. You are entitled to redress if the bike is not riding properly. Its not your fault, not to have bought Specialized and Brose (and plenty of Brose issues have been reported here). Maybe start again with Scott or directly with Bosch? And you answered your own post in less than 24 hours before others might have replied. Others are likely to reply if you post more detail, maybe with a video/recording?

Reactions: PJV

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I should not have bought a Bosch equipped bike and should have kept to Brose equipped bikes, e.g. Specialized.

Yeah... probably.

This reminds me of when I bought my Ford truck. A buddy was quick to chime in and tell me that I should have bought a GMC like his. Not long thereafter, his truck needed new injectors. My truck was not without problems, either. My other buddy drove a Dodge, but it was far from perfect. Does a story about trucks apply to mountain bikes? Beats me.

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
I got a Scott Patron e-Ride 900 late last year from LBS here in the US and have since done about 300 miles with it, of which 100 was with assist off and the remainder mostly in e-MTB mode.
After about 200 miles, the Bosch motor started developing a rattle when going downhill. That continued to get worse to where there is now a rattle even when pedaling while going over rocks / roots. LBS has checked with Bosch and their feedback is this is normal. Has anyone else had this problem?

When looking at the forums, it sounds like some bikes (when new) with the Bosch Gen 4 motor has a rattle and some don't. Some feedback from Bosch is that the rattle would go away after e.g. 300 miles. What have you all seen? Anyone had a quiet bike that turned into a rattle can?
So that's not normal. There's a rattle when descending downhill without pedalling, but if it develops a rattle then something isn't right.
Check your motor mount bolts, battery tray, the lock ring on the chainring.

Is it a fox shock by any chance on the bike?

Reactions: PJV

PJV

May 1, 2024
USA
So that's not normal. There's a rattle when descending downhill without pedalling, but if it develops a rattle then something isn't right.
Check your motor mount bolts, battery tray, the lock ring on the chainring.

Is it a fox shock by any chance on the bike?
Yep, my thinking too. All of those were checked out by the LBS on guidance from Bosch. I also checked out cables inside the frame and those were all snug (no rattles).

The shock is a Fox, but it is a Fox Nude eRide which I don't think is prone to rattle (like the Fox Float X??)

PJV

May 1, 2024
USA
Quite a jumpy line of thinking, if I may say so. I have had three Bosch Gen4 bikes (still have two) with no such issues. You bought a respected manufacture's bike fitted with a respected manufacturer's motor from a LBS less than a year ago. You are entitled to redress if the bike is not riding properly. Its not your fault, not to have bought Specialized and Brose (and plenty of Brose issues have been reported here). Maybe start again with Scott or directly with Bosch? And you answered your own post in less than 24 hours before others might have replied. Others are likely to reply if you post more detail, maybe with a video/recording?
I did approach Bosch directly and they got back to me initially. When things went quiet and I approached them again, they pointed me to the LBS. I haven't approached SCOTT yet. Thanks!

Also, I have not been able to record the noise properly...any tips on how to do that? I end up with a lot of wind / road noise...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles