E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Product Image:
729E190D-A7E3-474B-83F1-9AEE36DBC574.jpeg

Product name: Pirelli Scorpion Tyres R and M
Price paid: £90.00
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: 2019 Trance E+3, I mainly trail ride, gravel, mud and grass, hard chalk and a bit of road. A really good rolling tyre on hard packed surfaces. A rounder profile than the e-wilds so no hard edge on fast trail corners. The profile has more nobblies accross the centre too and rolls well. I tried a stone/rock climb in the wet and they were obviously crap and slippery with a high psi, compared to the e-wilds and the minions. But overall as this isnt my normal trail terrain I am happy. Terrible to seat though as tubeless had to use a compressor this time. e-wilds went on with a standard pump and washing up fluid. Looks like they will run well on a high PSI for trails and a very low 10psi for the climbs. Youtube showed them climbing rocks at 10psi and side wall holding. I cant be arsed to keep changing pressures though. All in a great all round trail tyre. R for the rear and an M for the front not the S .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Product Image: View attachment 61772

Product name: Pirelli Scorpion Tyres R and M
Price paid: £90.00
Score (out of 10): 8

Review: 2019 Trance E+3, I mainly trail ride, gravel, mud and grass, hard chalk and a bit of road. A really good rolling tyre on hard packed surfaces. A rounder profile than the e-wilds so no hard edge on fast trail corners. The profile has more nobblies accross the centre too and rolls well. I tried a stone/rock climb in the wet and they were obviously crap and slippery with a high psi, compared to the e-wilds and the minions. But overall as this isnt my normal trail terrain I am happy. Terrible to seat though as tubeless had to use a compressor this time. e-wilds went on with a standard pump and washing up fluid. Looks like they will run well on a high PSI for trails and a very low 10psi for the climbs. Youtube showed them climbing rocks at 10psi and side wall holding. I cant be arsed to keep changing pressures though. All in a great all round trail tyre. R for the rear and an M for the front not the S .
I gave the Pirelli Scorpion R (29”) a try several months ago. I’m trying a few different brands for the rear to see which suits my style of riding. I usually inflate my tires to 24-26 psi but occasionally drop to 12psi on steep rocky climbs. I had no problem dropping the Scorpion R to lower pressures because of the stronger sidewalls but I felt that the main tread compound was slightly softer (which gave me better grip on rocky ascents). I wore these out and moved on to another brand. Mounting this tire was not an issue with an air compressor.

I burn thru rear tires fairly quickly because of the long rocky ascents. Most of the time I need the momentum and very little loss of grip(difficult to get going again if you’re stopped) and the Pirelli scorpion took the worry of flats or burping out of my ride.
I would probably try these again. I’m currently on the Maxxis…so far so good, but climbs were a little better with the Scorpion R.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
20210509_150757.jpg

Ive got the exact same combo 3weeks ago. Must say i like them very much to! I ride a mix of xc/ trail and also road trips. Front has more then enough grip for my usage( never do rocky terrain) rear is fast rolling ( alot faster then my continental cross kings protection2.3 tires). On tarmac they are the most silent tires ive tried yet, although i have to put a higher pressure then other tires ive tried.

These Tire fitting was the hardest thing ive done? Switched alot tires but these where a real bitch to put on. Tubeless setup was easy, they even sealed well without any sealent.

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
Me too - I fitted them on my Yamaha YDX Moro a few weeks ago. I am a large rider... so the beefiness of the sidewall makes me pretty confident. 20.5 rear / 18.5 front

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles