Sanity Check my 1st eMTB purchase - is my choice right?

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
I've done a lot of mulling on this, asked friends, done test rides. I've got a serious case of the nervous wallet, and it seems stupid not to ask before firing the order in, so here goes:

I expect to be riding some trails, some easier family paths, some canal path / flat commuting (25 miles each way) and probably a bit of road/hard surface for just getting around. As much as I'd love to be doing trails all the time, that's likely to be the minority of the riding. I did a trial commute on my current non-e hardtail and was riding around 16/17mph when up to speed, so a non-drag motor is a factor.

I've ridden a Trek Powerfly 7 LT for a day, and done an hour or so on a merida e160 800. I much prefer the steps motor over the bosch cx, and with my smaller budget I'm unlikely to be looking at models with newer bosch motors.

My shopping list goes like this:
  • Shimano motor - preferred feel, non-drag for commuting speed
  • removable battery - easier charging, not troubled by the looks
  • 29er - better rolling for the non-trail riding
I'm looking at the Neuron:On 6 to tick those boxes. The upgrade on the forks (RS Recon to Fox Rhythm), and drivetrain (10s to 11s, and 36 to 46 tooth lowest sprocket) over the 5 is worth the money, but for me the 7 doesn't justify the extra cash. If I needed more I'd want to upgrade over the level of the 7 (e.g. the brakes to 4 pot).

Do you think there's a hidden gem I should consider around £3k before I put the order in?

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
I'm in a similar position , looking for a reliable full suspension ebike without spending crazy money, although mine will be solely for trails . The canyons are currently top of my list but there aren't many opinions on them on here or elsewhere it seems. I'm worried about the lack of support if anything were to go wrong. I'd love a high spec levo but they're just too pricey for my brain to cope with. Good luck with your research, keep us posted with your findings.

Jdog

Patreon
Jun 4, 2019
Surrey, UK
Ive Owed a canyon acoustic bike and it was brilliant plus they’re shortly due to release 2020 models so prices may drop even further.

I’ll say this quietly but EMBN have two Canyon Spectrals as demo bikes so have lots of videos about how good the Canyon is.

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
If you get a bottom range bike and use it properly (off road) you will need good forks, 4 pot brakes and dropper post. Slx gears are fine. Good Forks are £1000, brakes are £200 and dropper is £100-£300. Buy whatever makes the most sense All things considered.
When I was looking there was my bike for £3600 and the next one up for £4500 I think with a dropper and fox suspension but it only had Xt brakes.
If you are mostly using it for commuting on the flat and using it for transport I personally would get a £1600 commuter ebike to save yourself the paranoia when you have to leave it outside. Then when you can, get a emtb with the same battery so you have two batteries for all day epic rides on the weekend.

Skrix

May 1, 2019
Denmark
Ive Owed a canyon acoustic bike and it was brilliant plus they’re shortly due to release 2020 models so prices may drop even further.

I’ll say this quietly but EMBN have two Canyon Spectrals as demo bikes so have lots of videos about how good the Canyon is.

They also get paid to have those bikes there :)
Canyon is a great bike but I don't think the value is there anymore :(

Last edited:

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
I've done a lot of mulling on this, asked friends, done test rides. I've got a serious case of the nervous wallet, and it seems stupid not to ask before firing the order in, so here goes:

I expect to be riding some trails, some easier family paths, some canal path / flat commuting (25 miles each way) and probably a bit of road/hard surface for just getting around. As much as I'd love to be doing trails all the time, that's likely to be the minority of the riding. I did a trial commute on my current non-e hardtail and was riding around 16/17mph when up to speed, so a non-drag motor is a factor.

I've ridden a Trek Powerfly 7 LT for a day, and done an hour or so on a merida e160 800. I much prefer the steps motor over the bosch cx, and with my smaller budget I'm unlikely to be looking at models with newer bosch motors.

My shopping list goes like this:
  • Shimano motor - preferred feel, non-drag for commuting speed
  • removable battery - easier charging, not troubled by the looks
  • 29er - better rolling for the non-trail riding
I'm looking at the Neuron:On 6 to tick those boxes. The upgrade on the forks (RS Recon to Fox Rhythm), and drivetrain (10s to 11s, and 36 to 46 tooth lowest sprocket) over the 5 is worth the money, but for me the 7 doesn't justify the extra cash. If I needed more I'd want to upgrade over the level of the 7 (e.g. the brakes to 4 pot).

Do you think there's a hidden gem I should consider around £3k before I put the order in?

I bought a Giant Pro + 3 £2,800 2019 model.
I think as a full suss bike for that type of riding (same as me) I can’t see what’s not to like about it.
The engine and power settings work and I don’t feel any lag. The battery charges 60% in an 1 1/2 etc.
Just perfect for trails in my area, bridal paths, the national gravelly cycle way etc.
To me the more expensive bikes just didn’t offer me any more bang for my buck. Yes they have all updated suspension, but I have never had a problem or groan about mine. Yes they have upgraded group sets. But again no problems. It has a massive step into 10th as a cruising gear and the granny gear is a massive step too. Works brilliantly.
I didn’t personally like the feel of the Powerfly or the look.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs

I know it's a bit of a gamble buying one now when the rumour is that Canyon could announce a new 2020 ebike at roc d’azur in a couple of weeks. However, the external battery is feature for my exepcted use.

Chris on EMBN seems to use a Neuron:On a fair bit, and mentions using it for some trail work with it being capable. I think I'm unlikely to trouble its limits 95% of the time.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
If you get a bottom range bike and use it properly (off road) you will need good forks, 4 pot brakes and dropper post. Slx gears are fine. Good Forks are £1000, brakes are £200 and dropper is £100-£300. Buy whatever makes the most sense All things considered.
When I was looking there was my bike for £3600 and the next one up for £4500 I think with a dropper and fox suspension but it only had Xt brakes.
If you are mostly using it for commuting on the flat and using it for transport I personally would get a £1600 commuter ebike to save yourself the paranoia when you have to leave it outside. Then when you can, get a emtb with the same battery so you have two batteries for all day epic rides on the weekend.

Good points Russel. I already have an analog hardtail, space for 2 new bikes isn't available. I'm going to have to get one to do both jobs. It'll be the odd commute, not everyday, so I don't want to lean too far to that use.

The Commencal recommendation has given some cause to pause and look into that model.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I know it's a bit of a gamble buying one now when the rumour is that Canyon could announce a new 2020 ebike at roc d’azur in a couple of weeks. However, the external battery is feature for my exepcted use.

Chris on EMBN seems to use a Neuron:On a fair bit, and mentions using it for some trail work with it being capable. I think I'm unlikely to trouble its limits 95% of the time.
I am pretty sure that the bikes EMBN use are all Spectral:Ons which predate the Neuron:On but have more progressive longer, slacker geo (though it's still relatively conservative compared to some brands). I would say the Neuron:On will be absolutely fine for your use though given what you have described.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Doesn't the Neuron use the E7000 motor? Personally after destroying one in 7 weeks (road commuting with just 3 off road rides) I'd be avoiding one of those like the plague.

Best upgrade whatever bike you settle on will be fast rolling tyres. I found schwalbe Big Ben tyres to be great for fast road commuting but still had half decent off road ability. (perfectly capable of the sort of off road terrain you've mentioned) The larger 2.8 MotoX tyre is basically the same thing but bigger if that appeals.
160mm travel FS is a hell of a lot for commuting on but Emtb hardtails all feel dead. (all that weight and no suspension kills the natural pop of a regular hardtail) I'd probably go somewhere in the middle if I were you.
I'm commuting on my Esommet just now. 170mm travel and fast rolling off road tyres run at high pressures - 50psi+ (minions - 2.5 DHF/2.3 SS). It's fine tbh and way more fun than my Ehardtail ever was. Roughly 100miles a week and rarely use any more than 50% of the travel. (left exactly the same as my proper off road settings and full open) Its less than 3minutes slower than the hardtail was over 10 miles. Mainly due to the tyres. the E8000s extra torque makes up for them and closes the gap on the climbs. And it handles a million times better.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I have just bought a Spectral On 6, essentially as a winter bike but have been using it solidly for the last three weeks due to issues with my Focus Jam 2.

Canyon had, and still do have, a flash sale bringing the price down to £3099 (+£50 p+p).
I have not felt it necessary to change the Fox Rhythm forks, the Iridium dropper post or the Sram Code brakes, I am more than happy with all of them.

I did change the 2.8 rear tyre for something less power sapping, a Maxxis Aggressor 2.5.

I am getting a great range from the motor/battery and the bike definitely feels more agile than my Jam2.

It was in stock so it was in my garage four days after placing my order but current stock is very limited so that may be an issue for you.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Cheers Matty. The Neuron:On has featured in a number of videos - it's the blue bike (used in this vid: ) and gets a mention in this weeks "show".

@Gary - thanks for chiming in, appreciate the experienced voice. Neuron:On has the E8000 motor, but canyon have started fitting the 7000 B+W display. When I rode the Merida with the 8000 display I did find the mode colour cues and graph very useful.

Agree with the tyres. I'm trying to be honest with myself about the usage, so there will be a little road (I have a road bike for actual roadie-ing), a bit of canal towpath commuting (long way, but majority is off-road), and then visits to trails, bikeparks etc. I've found my XC hardtail was too much of a compromise on the trail stuff when ridden back-to-back with a full-sus eMTB.

The Meta Power 29 essential fox is now looking favourite. While not exactly show-stoppers, the e7000 display and 180mm brakes were detractions and these are both sorted on the Meta, along with a bump in fork and shock, with a bit more travel. I wouldn't be riding to the limit every day on the Neuron, but I can't see me troubling the limits of the Meta for some time while it'll still be more than suitable for the more mundane stuff.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
upgrade on the forks (RS Recon to Fox Rhythm), and drivetrain (10s to 11s, and 36 to 46 tooth lowest sprocket) over the 5 is worth the money,
For commuting and easy off road neither of these upgrades are really good value.
The recon is basic but absolutely fine for what riding you're suggesting you'll do. And dead easy to service. (and if regularly commuting on winter UK roads you're going to need to).
Also if commuting on an Ebike you're never going to ever need lower than a 38t ring and 32t cassette sprocket and increased range/jumps between sprockets is a DOWNGRADE. The most cost effective drivetrain for commuting is still 10speed. Cassettes are £20,chains a tenner and as road 10spd is compatible there're are far more sensible cassette ranges available.
I only run 36t x 11-40 11 speed even off road where I ride properly steep technical trails. Anything lower than 36x42 is only of use to me when climbing with the motor OFF.
I realise not everyone is the same as me but you need to be moving bloody slowly for a gear as low as that to make any sense.

[EDIT.] 10 speed is also MOAR durable AND lighter weight. ?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I still have the Big Ben (and moto x) tyres and plan to fit them to a spare set of wheels this weekend and will swap them over once a week for commuting. Saving the minions for actual off road.
The spare wheel set has new cassette and rotors fitted and I'll be swapping chains between the two sets of wheels too as it's a 2min job and should insure cassette wear rates stay the same (obvz keeping an eye on chainring wear too).
It's a pricy option and a bit if a luxury but better (for me) than having a £2k computer spec Ehardtail I don't actually like taking up space.

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
Many thanks to everyone for the input.

After reconsidering the likely usage, and everything top to bottom, I wanted to be less compromised for the "fun" riding and commuting was likely to be an occasional rather than regular thing (we'll see).

After a brief (but responsive) email with Commencal, Eric there has sorted me out and I've ordered the 2018 model. Costing just less than the Neuron:On 7, but all the components are a level up (suspension, brakes, drivetrain) and has the e8000 display (which I did want).

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
in that case just pump up the tyres to 50-55psi for the commutes.
They are a bit draggy/heavy but the motor will help with that to a point. 15.5mph to be exact ;)

Already looking into a 2nd set of appropriate wheels, tyres in case commuting makes that worthwhile. Otherwise it'll be some more appropriate tyres until the wheelset cost makes sense.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles