Sanity check before buying (newbie).

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
My headset wasn’t creaking but I replaced both upper and lower bearings the upper bearing was not a sealed type and was very dirty. I cleaned everything, regreased everything, installed the new bearings, fitted the fork, went for a ride.

Within 15min I noticed something was wrong. I limped the bike home and into the shop. The stem bolt was loose. On my bike it gets torqued to 4nm. It was probably 0nm. So either the star nutt slipped or I didn’t fit the fork properly.

I retightened to 4nm and haven’t had a problem since. But if I hadn’t caught this in time …it could’ve been worse.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I (once) replaced the headset bearings, torqued up everything, then checked with the wheel at right angles that there was zero movement. But when I rode the bike, I STILL had fork knock. It still felt OK when rocking the bike with the wheel at right angles, so I turned the bike upside down and repeated the rocking test. It was then as clear as day that the star nut was not tight enough. Guess what? Yep, I now do the upside-down test every time I have had the fork out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles