Levo Gen 3 S2 or S3?

SelfShuttler

Jan 22, 2023
Snowshoe, WV
Currently on a Decoy that’s what too short.

Thinking of taking advantage of the sale, have an enduro size S2 with 437 reach and it’s perfect.

My dh bike is 430 and also feels great, all my bikes are around 430 reach.

Debating between S2 and S3 if I go Levo.

S2 I would likely go to a 35mm stem and go to 170 on the fork - shortening the reach by about 8 to 424sh

S3 I would swap the 50mm stem for a 35 and be around 435 reach after which is closer to the enduro.

For reference I’m 5’5sh, Specialized still recommended an S2.

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hallo, I have the same height as you and I was undecided between s2 and s3, I was able to sit on the two different sizes and I took the s2 and I'm happy with the choice.
i tried two different stem sizes on s2, 40 and 32 mm, but in the end, i feel better with standard 45 mm stem and 760 mm handlebar

Last edited:

SteveSSS

Aug 14, 2019
Lancaster, UK
I came off a medium Decoy on to an S2, I prefer the fit of the S2. I'm 5'5 and a bit, long back, 27inch inside leg. I think the S3 wouldn't have been as poppy for me.

MM5K

Jan 24, 2022
Bay Area
For reference, I'm 5'6" with a 31" inseam (crotch to floor) and 68" wingspan (fingertip to fingertip).

A couple years ago, I bought an S2 Enduro blind, as the shop didn't have any to demo at the time. I was between S2 and S3, but I went with S2 (437mm reach), as my previous bike before that was a medium 2019 Stumpy with a 425mm reach, and before that, a medium 2017 Enduro, with a 430mm reach. I typically run 50mm stems, as I like the steering feel and weight over the front.

Anyway, the S2 Enduro as felt a bit small, like the bars and front tire were both just a bit too close to me. It wasn't too small to where I wanted to get rid of it, and I got used to it quickly, but I still wanted the whole front end to be a bit longer.

A year later, I got an S3 Kenevo SL (465mm in middle/high), and from day one, the fit felt spot on. I wished I had just gone S3 from the start with the Enduro. I now also have an S3 Levo Gen 3, and I also love the fit - definitely wouldn't want to go any shorter.

Keep in mind, I'm looking at this purely from a fit/comfort perspective, not sizing up/down based on handling. Also, I ride very forward and hard over the front end. Even at 5'6", I rarely ever buzz my butt with a 29er rear wheel, even on sustained 20-30% downhills. Traditional geo never suited me well, with how you have to hang more off the back, but if that's how you ride, maybe the shorter size could suit you well.

SelfShuttler

Jan 22, 2023
Snowshoe, WV
n't have any to demo at the time. I was between S2 and S3, but I went with S2 (437mm reach), as my previous bike before that was a medium 2019 Stumpy with a 425mm reach, and before that, a medium 2017 Enduro, w
For reference, I'm 5'6" with a 31" inseam (crotch to floor) and 68" wingspan (fingertip to fingertip).

A couple years ago, I bought an S2 Enduro blind, as the shop didn't have any to demo at the time. I was between S2 and S3, but I went with S2 (437mm reach), as my previous bike before that was a medium 2019 Stumpy with a 425mm reach, and before that, a medium 2017 Enduro, with a 430mm reach. I typically run 50mm stems, as I like the steering feel and weight over the front.

Anyway, the S2 Enduro as felt a bit small, like the bars and front tire were both just a bit too close to me. It wasn't too small to where I wanted to get rid of it, and I got used to it quickly, but I still wanted the whole front end to be a bit longer.

A year later, I got an S3 Kenevo SL (465mm in middle/high), and from day one, the fit felt spot on. I wished I had just gone S3 from the start with the Enduro. I now also have an S3 Levo Gen 3, and I also love the fit - definitely wouldn't want to go any shorter.

Keep in mind, I'm looking at this purely from a fit/comfort perspective, not sizing up/down based on handling. Also, I ride very forward and hard over the front end. Even at 5'6", I rarely ever buzz my butt with a 29er rear wheel, even on sustained 20-30% downhills. Traditional geo never suited me well, with how you have to hang more off the back, but if that's how you ride, maybe the shorter size could suit you well.
thanks for the detailed response, I know my sweet spot reach wise and I think I can get the S3 there....wish I could demo both and not make an 8k mistake lol

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I’m 5’6 on a good day with a 28in inseam, I’m on a S2 with a 35mm stem. I set my bikes up according to the RAD theory and it’s worked out great for me so far. I prefer a 430 reach which is RAD+ with my measurements so you should be good to go, it may feel little tight seated but will be perfect out of the saddle where 99% of your time is spent. My only issue was trying to get the bar height up a bit, the stack height feels lower on this bike than my other bikes.

DMC707

Jan 24, 2023
Norman Oklahoma
my new bike is an S3 - i'm 5'8. I was worried at first because the reach length is considerably more than my analog bike (a yeti SB-100) - but the steeper seat tube angle closes the gap , and with a Renthal cockpit with 38mm stem and 40mm rise bars, the reach feels shorter than my regular bike -- its a unique bike for me in that respect --- the 38mm stem and 40mm riser actually made it too upright at first and i had to slide the seat back, but im getting used to it --- kinda' feels like riding my DH bike

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I ride an S3 and am 5’ 9 .

My wife is 5’ 4.5 and tried both my bike and also an S2 before ordering her new bike, following a theft. She felt too stretched-out on the S3, and slightly restricted on the stock S2.

LBS (not local at all, 300 miles away but offering us superb service for 30 years) swapped the stem for one slightly longer and she is as happy as possible.

So, my inclination is S2 but maybe with a longer stem?

SelfShuttler

Jan 22, 2023
Snowshoe, WV
I ride an S3 and am 5’ 9 .

My wife is 5’ 4.5 and tried both my bike and also an S2 before ordering her new bike, following a theft. She felt too stretched-out on the S3, and slightly restricted on the stock S2.

LBS (not local at all, 300 miles away but offering us superb service for 30 years) swapped the stem for one slightly longer and she is as happy as possible.

So, my inclination is S2 but maybe with a longer stem?
What about s3 with a 35 stem? Comes with 50mm

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
What about s3 with a 35 stem? Comes with 50mm
The reach on the S3 is 452, at one point I had a medium bike in another brand with a 450 reach. I tried the a few different stem lengths all the way down to 33mm, it felt great while seated but it felt like a dump truck on the trails. I felt like the bike was riding me a lot of times vs me riding the bike. It really sucks for those of us between 2 sizes trying to buy something without being able to test ride both back to back.

Oct 25, 2022
Scottish borders
5'6" 30" inseam. I have a medium 2018 enduro, which is great. A Pace 529 which is much longer and a kenevo S3 which is right in the middle and spot on. Only issue is the seat post, I need a shorter post to make it just right.

Sir-Case-A-Lot

Jan 30, 2023
Socal
I'm 5'6" and went with S2 and happy with the size. I was coming from a medium Ibis Ripmo. The S3 would have been very similar geo to the medium Ripmo, but I wanted a smaller wheelbase and was worried the extra weight would make the Levo more cumbersome on tigher trails. My only small qualm with S2 is a wish for a little more reach? Big difference coming from 460mm to 430mm, but not a big deal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles