Rubbing Disc Brakes

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
We have probably all been there!! Maybe like me you always put it down to a slightly bent rotor or caliper not properly aligned. Maybe like me a slight caliper adjustement with 50% worn brake pads resolved the issue...well nearly...and who cares a bout a little bit of rubbing noise which is drowned out by the noise of the trail?
Well I recently renewed the pads and the problem became worse. It got me thinking why would the caliper go out of alignment in the first place? It was also noticeable looking at the old pads that wear was not even front to back.
I am dealing with a Code 4 pot caliper on the back brake. I removed the wheel and pulled the brake lever whilst watching the 4 pistons...obviously taking care I did not push one out. The root cause of my problem was immediately apparent. One piston moved out a great deal more than the other 3, 2 pistons moved out a little, 1 did not move hardly at all.
To resolve this I first of all whittled down a tyre lever so that it would fit snug between 2 of the pistons, holding them in. I held one further piston in by hand with another tyre lever. Then operated the brake lever to push out the remaining piston...it only moved fractionally. I used a tiny ( make up) brush dipped in DOT ( SRAM brakes) and cleaned/lubed the exposed part of the piston. Then pushed it back in. I repeated this several times until it moved much more freely each time exposing a bit more of the piston....cleaned/lubed again with DOT....pushed back in. Repeat. Repeat with each of the other pistons in turn. It took time but finally all pistons moved freely and the same amount. I sprayed IPO into the caliper and wiped it clean and re inserted the new pads. The caliper was then centred..............and absolutely no rubbing.

Cleaning/lubeing the pistons is now something I will do everytime I change pads!!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
These are a great little gadget for fixing that problem

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

Who knew??...Brilliant, thanks............ordered!!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC

What about 4piston Shimano brakes? Or should I make one. Great idea btw. I have to do this each time for new brakes.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Had the same problem as OP and ended up taking one of the extra red SRAM caliper blocks that came with my bleed kit and grinding it down so it would allow one piston to push out at a time. Didn't know someone came up with a fix :)

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
What about 4piston Shimano brakes? Or should I make one. Great idea btw. I have to do this each time for new brakes.
If you look on their shop, you'll see that they also sell one that fits shimano xt, and another for hope 4 pots. Along with lots of other useful bikey gadgets.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
If you look on their shop, you'll see that they also sell one that fits shimano xt, and another for hope 4 pots. Along with lots of other useful bikey gadgets.
Yup, there are definitely some useful bikes gadgets. Found a number of things. I’m not sure but it looks like the items are 3D printed but regardless they took the time to design them.
I also like Calvin’s video where it shows a good cleaning method. (Flossing with cotton string around each caliper).
Thank for the link.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As per my original post I whittled down a tyre lever so it stopped an opposing pair of pistons but it still left me having to try to hold one back...and when you are reaching for the rear brake lever at the same time it is awkward!! I have some rubber block so if I had thought about it I could have tried making one that blocked 3 at a time...........but quite happy to pay someone who had already done that!! It was a brilliant find by @Mteam

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles