Levo Gen 2 Roval End Caps

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Maybe this is common knowledge but I did not know so...................

I wanted to check/clean my Levo Comp front wheel bearings. The spacer caps on each side just pull off fairly easily but then you are left with the end caps with no obvious way to remove them. I assume there is somewhere a special tool but I could not find any reference to one. So this is how I removed them...may be right or maybe wrong but it worked and was easy.

The end cap consists of 2 parts. A top hat shaped part and a ring that holds it in place......like a hat band to continue the theme! I used a flat bladed screwdriver inserted down the top hat section and into the very small gap between it and the bearing.......and then levered gently rotating the wheel 45 degrees at a time. Initially it feels like you are making no progress but it will release ( quite suddenly) after 3 or 4 leverages at different points around the wheel. you can then access the bearings and check they move freely and without play, clean everything up and apply just a little grease a gainst the face of the bearing to help the sealing of it from water etc.
To replace the end cap, place the top hat part against the bearing and then the "hat band" part over it and make sure it is sitting evenly. I then used a 23mm socket to tap the "hat band" flush with the hub edge.
Note the "hat band" part goes on the right way up ( inspect when you take it off to identify which way it goes back on).

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

I wanted to check/clean my Levo Comp front wheel bearings. The spacer caps on each side just pull off fairly easily but then you are left with the end caps with no obvious way to remove them. I assume there is somewhere a special tool but I could not find any reference to one. So this is how I removed them...may be right or maybe wrong but it worked and was easy.

The end cap consists of 2 parts. A top hat shaped part and a ring that holds it in place......like a hat band to continue the theme! I used a flat bladed screwdriver inserted down the top hat section and into the very small gap between it and the bearing.......and then levered gently rotating the wheel 45 degrees at a time. Initially it feels like you are making no progress but it will release ( quite suddenly) after 3 or 4 leverages at different points around the wheel. you can then access the bearings and check they move freely and without play, clean everything up and apply just a little grease a gainst the face of the bearing to help the sealing of it from water etc.
To replace the end cap, place the top hat part against the bearing and then the "hat band" part over it and make sure it is sitting evenly. I then used a 23mm socket to tap the "hat band" flush with the hub edge.
Note the "hat band" part goes on the right way up ( inspect when you take it off to identify which way it goes back on).

20200908_184538.jpg

20200908_184113.jpg

20200908_184216.jpg

20200908_184403.jpg

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
I struggled like mad with this initially. Ensure this disk is removed as it overlaps the cap preventing it coming off (kenevo expert 2020).
I stuck a well fitting socket & extension in the spacer by 10mm or so & with a gentle lever it popped out.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I thought about doing it that way but because it is only ally I was concerned that it could split the cap. I have seen reference elsewhere to putting the cap in a soft jaw vice or gripping it with mole grips....both seem high risk to me. The cap has a recess where the torque cap seal sits and a set of pliers whose nose ends comprised 2 halves of strong washer that fitted into that groove would likely be the right tool. I don't know if such a tool exists.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California

Thanks for posting this, this will be useful for many people...including me.

crazymelki

Feb 25, 2020
Switzerland

Also a big "Thanks" from my side! First I was wondering, why this end cap cannot be removed quick. But this forum is so great. You will find help or you will get help! (y)

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
@Mikerb Tried to get at my front wheel bearings yesterday on my SL and was stumped by the spacers. Just found this post so will try your screwdriver trick. Bit unnecessary complicated affair isn it. Hope ones are doddle to get out in comparison.

Waynetta

E*POWAH Master
Feb 11, 2020
Plymouth Devon
Just tried the snug socket and bar trick, caps flew out so fast I spent half an hour trying to find one on the garage floor!!!
Yes I tentatively tried the screw driver but quickly thought screw that and went for the handle of a 3/8th drive ratchet. popped out a dream. Might try the socket trick next time. .

Jason Fisher

Sep 3, 2022
Pontypool
Hi everyone,
Would anyone know where I can replacement end caps? Mine are damaged and I can't find them anywhere. Don't want to replace a whole wheel because of damaged end caps. Thanks.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Torque caps are not required, you can live quite happy without them, they are just nice to have ...

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yeah, afaik on some hubs you can just remove them (pull them off), on some you must replace them with 'normal' caps ...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles