• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Rotor change

CocoPlops

Jun 19, 2022
Kinlochleven
Looking to change the rotors that came with the bike RT26 Shimano

Any thoughts on a massive upgrade?

Was looking at ice tech rotors but unsure of the longevity of them.

Going with ematrix pads when I change the rotors.

Thoughts on these?

Thanks in advance

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I've run Icetech rotors on my (non eeb) fat bike for ages. Just replaced the rotors after a few years use in horrendous muddy conditions and the fatty isn't light. That said I think you're restricted to 200mm max size with Icetech. I really rate them though.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
disc bling.jpg

Bigger IS better, just don't forget to buy a caliper adapter for a 220mm rotor as well

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Nothing beats a Magura MDR-P 220mm rotor. Its also 2mm thick which helps in heat dissipation and it makes a pleasant "TING" sound when they cool down so you know it must be doing something!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Yeah, not a huge difference with the Hope in pull up power with the Saints calipers but definitely more modulation. It's a Cleanskin 220mm adaptor. I got a el cheapo Snail brand 200mm 2 part disc that looks almost identical for the rear end as well which looks sick. Unfortunately they don't make a 220mm disc as yet, but give them time and I'm sure they will.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Upgrading rotors won’t give you a massive upgrade, you need to go bigger or change the brakes for a massive upgrade.

I’ve been using ice tech for years with no issues, they work well and seem to last. It’s a little hard to say exactly how long because they’ve been swapped between bikes, and a week in morzine is probably at least a year of use in the UK, but they last fine.

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
Yeah, not a huge difference with the Hope in pull up power with the Saints calipers but definitely more modulation. It's a Cleanskin 220mm adaptor. I got a el cheapo Snail brand 200mm 2 part disc that looks almost identical for the rear end as well which looks sick. Unfortunately they don't make a 220mm disc as yet, but give them time and I'm sure they will.
Cheers dude. I've not even got my ebike yet (should be here next week) and I'm already thinking about upgrades. I should probably ride it as it is for a while first and see how the standard 203/203 rotors cope.

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
[QUOTE="and a week in morzine is probably at least a year of use in the UK, but they last fine.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Especially if you do the road ride back from the top of the Super Morzine bubble to the town which I feel is actually more tortuous on brakes than the trails. I did it twice, along with numerous green and blue runs and my Hope 220's with MT5's/ Noah and Theo pads were absolutely astounding. It confirmed that I have zero need to upgrade my brakes further.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles