Levo SL Gen 1 Rode an SL last night... WOW!

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
As a long time Levo owner I finally had a chance to put some miles on my buddie's SL Expert Carbon yesterday. We did a 16 mile ride through one of our local riding areas. The topography was moderate, 1,246 elevation gain. I was able to keep up with my buddy on his acoustic bike, who I would NEVER be able to keep up with on my acoustic. This location is pretty tight and riding my Levo there is a bit of overkill and a bit much to handle in the tight stuff. This felt like I was riding my regular bike and I was 30 years old, instead of 61. I'm not sure it's in the budget to add an SL anytime soon, but I'm going to guess that it's going to happen at some point, perhaps next model year.

sl.jpg

sl ride.png

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
You don't get any of the "pull" you get on the levo, seems much more natural. I need to ride it on my regular ride, which is more like 1600 feet of climbing.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Power wise yes, but you remove 20% of the weight and make it so much more agile, it rides like an acoustic bike.

I think the power is completely different.... It does totally handle like an acoustic bike. I rode 20 miles today, mostly in eco, at a hillier location today, climbed over 2,000 feet on my Levo Sworks, totally different feel.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I thought the same after my first ride of a demo SL. Just fantastic. Makes you feel like a fit person!

I'm seriously thinking about getting one, which considering that I just bought an Sworks Levo and a Santa Cruz 5010 CR+ in the last sixty days is kind of crazy.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'm seriously thinking about getting one, which considering that I just bought an Sworks Levo and a Santa Cruz 5010 CR+ in the last sixty days is kind of crazy.
Great feedback but terrible at the same time because it's swaying me towards the SL! I have a Levo and love it but the SL makes a lot of sense. The lighter weight is very attractive as I feel the FF Levo gets tiring after a while muscling it around at speed. How did the 34 feel on the front?

mazukea

Feb 1, 2020
Hawaii
stop it guys.
just stop it.
my wallet cant take all this abuse! :cry:

I just got my first ebike/Levo 3 months ago and Im loving it, but im also wondering about how those new SLs are. I wish I could test ride one day.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
stop it guys.
just stop it.
my wallet cant take all this abuse! :cry:

I just got my first ebike/Levo 3 months ago and Im loving it, but im also wondering about how those new SLs are. I wish I could test ride one day.

I avoided test riding one for more than six months.... If you don't want to buy one DO NOT ride one! lol

• Agree
Reactions: CjP

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I test rode a comp Carbon SL yesterday and the weight difference is really noticeable. The motor is a little more raw Than a Levo for sure And the power was ok. I was however very underwhelmed by the actual feel of the ride due to its component. The brakes were dull and spongy and suspension was the same. The seat post was rubbish too. The grips were nice ? dont get me wrong, I would like to swap With my ff levo due to the weight, but all my upgrades would have to come too.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
First ride in anger tonight on a friend's SL. I'm sold! It's no levo, but the negatives are less than the positives.

I agree. I see complaints about the lack of power but if we can do 160 watts (average rider) and the SL adds 240 then we are at pro rider power levels. What more do we need? ;)

As for the noise, that is likely from the straight-cut gears to reduce friction and improve efficiency.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I agree. I see complaints about the lack of power but if we can do 160 watts (average rider) and the SL adds 240 then we are at pro rider power levels. What more do we need? ;)

As for the noise, that is likely from the straight-cut gears to reduce friction and improve efficiency.

If I need more power I’ll ride my Levo. It’s the perfect bike for what we did tonight. 15 miles flowy single track with two strong acoustic riders. Averaged 10mph with 1000 feet of elevation.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Still getting the suspension sorted out and learning to use the power. It’s very different. Going back to do 20 solo tomorrow afternoon. After fifteen pretty fast miles I had half my battery left.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Still getting the suspension sorted out and learning to use the power. It’s very different. Going back to do 20 solo tomorrow afternoon. After fifteen pretty fast miles I had half my battery left.

Fyi that is not an external battery it’s a tool kit in the cage....
IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

motoadve

Jun 15, 2019
Washington
Very interested in one, have aTurbo Levo and really like it, I only ride it once a week (usually 5,000ft plus vert and about 30 miles) and I ride my acoustic bike 4 times a week (usually 10 to 15 miles,2,000 to 3,000ft of vert or so).
Seriously considering replacing my acoustic bike with an SL.

A big turn off for me is paying all that money and having a 34 Fox fork, I dont think it would work too well in the trails I ride which are steep rocky, roots, mud and fast terrain.
Hardly any serious Mt bike nowadays come with a 34 Fox fork unless is geared towards a cross country light bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles