Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay 2021

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
As I understand it there’s a new version of the IWOC Trio Controller for 2021 as well. Some places list ANT+ as news for 2021 but that’s obviously not accurate. But I have heard the connection thingy in front of the stem is gone.

CavMan

Jun 9, 2020
Australia
As I understand it there’s a new version of the IWOC Trio Controller for 2021 as well. Some places list ANT+ as news for 2021 but that’s obviously not accurate. But I have heard the connection thingy in front of the stem is gone.
Yes, that was gone on the 2020 mode ls

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
In lieu of a separate manufacturer forum for RM, I’ll ask in this thread.

I’ve grown fond of the rider power registration in Strava from my Levo. As I understand it the Powerplay/Ebikemotion app doesn’t transfer that to Strava. It should be able to do it though as the torque sensor registers it a 1000 times a second.

Still, what is the the most simple and efficient way to integrate a watt meter into the trail registration on my coming Powerplay ?

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
.... also I loved that my coming Instinct BC Powerplay was identical geometry wise to the non-electric version. Today it seems they dropped the Instinct BC and consolidated into a new Altitude with more travel and 29” wheels ..... will probably be a new Powerplay next ... damn

EDIT: I must admit I thought an Instinct was a 29” Altitude more or less. I guess the new Altitude is neither Instinct BC nor old Altitude geometry wise.

Last edited:

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
If you are considering ordering a powerplay in any model I would recommend doing it asap. I ordered by 2021 bc edition instinct yesterday and all Rocky models are already over 90% sold.. They will sell out before the end of September is my bet.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
If you are considering ordering a powerplay in any model I would recommend doing it asap. I ordered by 2021 bc edition instinct yesterday and all Rocky models are already over 90% sold.. They will sell out before the end of September is my bet.

When is your estimated delivery? I preordered my BC C90 in July for delivery in March 2021.

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
When is your estimated delivery? I preordered my BC C90 in July for delivery in March 2021.
I am not 100% sure but thwy said there is possibility of having it before end of Oct .. but my dealer will have to put a ride wrap on it and other things, but i might get to ride it this fall if old man winter holds off a bit in pacific northwest.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have also ordered it ridewrapped. Do you know if there are any suitable clear rubbery things to put on the lower side of the downtube too ? For additional rock protection.

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
my dealer deals with the company called ride wrap.. they are world leader in bike coatings in my opinion.. they have full coverage wraps including forks and rear triangle. their "tailored kit covers almost all parts of frame and fork. here is their web site. ridewrap.ca

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have never used ridewrap before, but I have also ordered mine with ridewrap as I said.

I was thinking of any additional rubber protection on the lower side of the downtime down towards the crank. Preferably clear.

I’ve seen some bikes have some “arrow-like” black rubber pads there.

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
I have never used ridewrap before, but I have also ordered mine with ridewrap as I said.

I was thinking of any additional rubber protection on the lower side of the downtime down towards the crank. Preferably clear.

I’ve seen some bikes have some “arrow-like” black rubber pads there.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
my dealer deals with the company called ride wrap.. they are world leader in bike coatings in my opinion.. they have full coverage wraps including forks and rear triangle. their "tailored kit covers almost all parts of frame and fork. here is their web site. ridewrap.ca

Are you in BC? May I ask the name of your shop?

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
coastal culture in whistler southside

Thank you! I was about to get a base model Specialized Levo, but at 6900$ CAD, I kinda wanted some better spec.

Contacted them and 2020 and 2021 all sold out, crazy that the won’t have bikes until the 2022 models come out.

I ended finding 3.5hrs away. They have the 2020 instinct a30 and a50, though the a50 is more than I wanted to spent initially, I am still wondering if it is worth the upgrade and the extra $1000.

Now still slightly in doubt: should I get the better spec bike (and bigger battery), but far away from home? Just a bit afraid as to what to do when I need warranty / have issues.

The Levo base I can get locally.

I come from a Liv Intrigue Pro e+, that was in the shop more than I rode it. They refunded me, which is why I am looking again :).

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
Thank you! I was about to get a base model Specialized Levo, but at 6900$ CAD, I kinda wanted some better spec.

Contacted them and 2020 and 2021 all sold out, crazy that the won’t have bikes until the 2022 models come out.

I ended finding 3.5hrs away. They have the 2020 instinct a30 and a50, though the a50 is more than I wanted to spent initially, I am still wondering if it is worth the upgrade and the extra $1000.

Now still slightly in doubt: should I get the better spec bike (and bigger battery), but far away from home? Just a bit afraid as to what to do when I need warranty / have issues.

I come from a Liv Intrigue Pro e+, that was in the shop more than I rode it. They refunded me, which is why I am looking again :).
i think the bigger battery and better shock/ fork and groupo is well worth the $1000. also i have not heard too many service issues with the rockys and thats a big reason i chose them.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway

But there are RM dealers closer by than 3.5hrs? Only they’re sold out? I think you can go to any official dealer to get stuff sorted out.

I bought my current Levo Comp in Italy but use a local dealer here in Norway for motor replacement and stuff. I have a RM coming in March 2021.

I would go for the slightly higher spec too. The A30 is probably more bang for buck (priced competitively low) but you will have a better experience on the non-base A50 over time.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
But there are RM dealers closer by than 3.5hrs? Only they’re sold out? I think you can go to any official dealer to get stuff sorted out.

I bought my current Levo Comp in Italy but use a local dealer here in Norway for motor replacement and stuff. I have a RM coming in March 2021.

I would go for the slightly higher spec too. The A30 is probably more bang for buck (priced competitively low) but you will have a better experience on the non-base A50 over time.

Yeah there is a dealer 10 min away from me, but out of stock. I literally contacted every store close(r) by, but no luck.

There is a A50 and a A50 BC edition 2020 for the same price at that shop (in stock) as well. The BC has more travel 160 / 155 mm vs 140 / 140. I ride a lot of trails on the Vancouver North Shore with lots of roots, rocks and steep terrain. I wonder if that would be more useful or if the difference doesn't really matter too much.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Yeah there is a dealer 10 min away from me, but out of stock. I literally contacted every store close(r) by, but no luck.

There is a A50 and a A50 BC edition 2020 for the same price at that shop (in stock) as well. The BC has more travel 160 / 155 mm vs 140 / 140. I ride a lot of trails on the Vancouver North Shore with lots of roots, rocks and steep terrain. I wonder if that would be more useful or if the difference doesn't really matter too much.
More is more :) If you ride lots of steep technical trails, like drop-offs and generally bombing over rough ground, more travel will be welcomed.

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC
I feel that your local bike dealer will be able to support you even if you did not buy bike there
I feel that your local Rocky dealer will support you well even if you were unable to purchase bike thru them originally. They still get your patronage for all the maintenance ( tires/ brake pads etc) and if any issue developed they are there to support the brand.

Dude1977

Aug 14, 2019
Finland
HI,

I have a RM Instinct powerplay A70 BC edition. I am having a bit trouble to find correct psi for the rear shock. I weight with the gear around 100kg. What kind of pressures you are using? The shock is Fox DPX2.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ

Brucifer

Sep 22, 2020
Golden BC

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
as a general rule fox suggests you use air pressure that is equal to your weight in pounds. so for 100kg its 222.2 lbs.. give or take.. and then between 25-30 % sag depending if u want firm feeling (25) or plush (30) .. hope this helps
I would say this rule of thumb is pretty useless - Same shock, same rider(weight), different bike can have massive variance on required air pressure, depends largely on the leverage ratio of the suspension.

garypalmer

Apr 15, 2020
Torre-Pacheco
hi again from Spain mates,

Do you know which cane creek headset would wears the Powerplay Carbon BC90 2021?? (I want to install an angleset and 170mm in the 38)

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
hi again from Spain mates,

Do you know which cane creek headset would wears the Powerplay Carbon BC90 2021?? (I want to install an angleset and 170mm in the 38)
straight off the Rocky Mountain website ?

Screenshot_20201103-060907.png

Cuddles

Apr 22, 2020
North Vancouver
Ok cool, i wasnt sure if that was the case. I didnt think they were that inexpensive too. Some shop in qhebec has a bunch of 2020 rockys in the buy n sell on pinkbike and theyre asking more than the price rocky gas listed them at. Maybe im missing something but rocky lists the instinct a70 bc at 6999cad and yhat shopz ad is ttying to sell them for 8095cad. I suspect its one of those shpps thatll still be selling new 2020"s in 2022
maybe - and its not right - but good luck finding bikes right now; out here on the west coast of bc the shops have nothing on the floors and any 2021 bikes that are arriving are pre-sold; although to your point there is a Norco shop here that has one or two e-bikes that I looked at a year ago and its I think just like you describe, they still expect full list despite there having been updates to the motor system they run. (amazingly it is what I understand to be a Norco corporate store) maybe that explains why they offer no sale price on the old model and just kept it at full list; although, a little weak to be in a corporate store and looking at new old stock for full price (intentionally not naming names)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles