Rise wheelset upgrade

craigavfc

Oct 5, 2021
west midlands
I have a M20 rise and would like to upgrade my wheels for something lighter and stronger. I'm not sure what to go for and are wondering what other people have upgraded to?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Maybe look at DT seiss wheels, Hope will be heavier than originals! Wouldn’t rate Hunt! I rebuilt the M20 rims on better hubs, also got set light bicycle carbon wheels I built

craigavfc

Oct 5, 2021
west midlands
Maybe look at DT seiss wheels, Hope will be heavier than originals! Wouldn’t rate Hunt! I rebuilt the M20 rims on better hubs, also got set light bicycle carbon wheels I built
DT Swiss XM1700 are some that I've been looking at. I wouldn't buy Hope but I do like their hubs. Whats hubs did you rebuild the M20 rims on?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I had a Spank hex hub i used 102points engagement front hub dt350 hub, build all my own, am Cytech mechanic so know wheels are better than stock or factory built 😂 I swapped to XD hubs as that’s what all my wheels were

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
OK that's a good budget, Personal experience of both Light Bicycle and Nextie 29er wheelsets are good, if you're happy to wait a few weeks if you can put up with Hope Hubs, Blueflow wheels do some really good sets.
Or If you want that personal touch, i'm happy to build them to whatever specs you want (another option, not trying to sell)

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
Ive bought a 29” 1278 gram carbon 30mm internal set from EIECarbon for my Rise M20. Made a really big difference in ride feel and performance. Costed me ~£890

64546740-2702-4761-AD73-E1D9E4BA9EB6.jpeg

8F43BA65-6849-484F-8C1C-E6D6976053B6.jpeg

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
I have two sets of hunt alu wheels that I am very happy with, and a set of XMC carbon DT Swiss wheels that I am happy with after fixing the hub from the known exp failure and upgrading to 54t ratchet. I ride both on the Rise, using the XMC on flow trails and 27.5 rear hunt wheel on rougher stuff with an overstroked shock and offset bushing. Both works great.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Sub 1300g sounds dubious looked at their website even 360g rims with CX Ray spokes & DT240 hubs just under 1400g… my old light bicycle rims are 400g & were 27mm internal

volts

May 15, 2018
DK

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
Anyone with a M10 or mteam happy with the raceface turbine wheels? Are they a good upgrade?
Yes, seem really good. Personally, at £800 I'd be looking for a top end set of alloy rims rather than cheap carbon. Hope hubs are super reliable and repairable but they're not light.

My benchmark has been DT EX1501 at that price point (have had them a few years on my old trail bike and partner's have had a lot of rough use over 5+ years without missing a beat and the ratchet freewheels are super easy to service or to swap out the free hub. The bearings must be small so you'd not expect long life but they've worked for us.

The Raceface hubs look like they use much bigger bearings - RF bought Easton and their stuff always had a good rep.

Snowrydr01

Dec 15, 2021
Jeeptj01!
I know its not what you are looking for but I think building wheels are always the way to go. DT 350 hubs are the standard for reliability and easy to clean (changing bearings sucks though). Then choose the hoops based on your needs/skill level.

I have a set of SC reserve wheels that i think are too stiff for my skillset and speed through rocks in races, they want to ping side to side but are fantastic on groomed bike park or flow trails.

The ibis aluminum wheels that came on my ripmo have been awesome for the opposite reason, they definitely have flex, but they track great (on multiple bikes) through rocks and off camber roots because they have that flex and are 35mm internal and have held up great with a vitoria air liner in the rear.

Ive also had lightbike wheels on dt240 hubs that were my favorite, they were right in the middle but they were non boost spacing so they got sold with that bike.

The SCs are going on my rise when it arrives just because i need the Ibis ones for lift access to get beat up and race on.

Mungalot

Apr 5, 2021
Moon
Yes, seem really good. Personally, at £800 I'd be looking for a top end set of alloy rims rather than cheap carbon. Hope hubs are super reliable and repairable but they're not light.

My benchmark has been DT EX1501 at that price point (have had them a few years on my old trail bike and partner's have had a lot of rough use over 5+ years without missing a beat and the ratchet freewheels are super easy to service or to swap out the free hub. The bearings must be small so you'd not expect long life but they've worked for us.

The Raceface hubs look like they use much bigger bearings - RF bought Easton and their stuff always had a good rep.
Be sceptical when you hear: either “always” or “never”. Especially in medicine but also elsewhere. Mkay

sgtcurry

Apr 27, 2021
Houston, Tx
I figured if I was going to spend 1k+ on carbon wheels for my rise I might as well get ones with a bomb proof warranty. At first I was going to go with we are one unions with hydra hubs but ended up going with Santa Cruz 30's with hydra hubs since they will send out a new wheel and have it at your door in 2 business day. A bit pricy though.

Longfellow78

Jan 4, 2022
Hampshire
OK that's a good budget, Personal experience of both Light Bicycle and Nextie 29er wheelsets are good, if you're happy to wait a few weeks if you can put up with Hope Hubs, Blueflow wheels do some really good sets.
Or If you want that personal touch, i'm happy to build them to whatever specs you want (another option, not trying to sell)
What's the fee to build a pair? :)

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I ended up going with RF NextR carbons for my H15. A burlier version than the SL version on the Rise M-LTD and 200g heavier but a pound lighter than the stock AR's. I'm curious what my final weight of my H15 build will be after upgrades. I also went with X01 Drivetrain, NextR bars which I use on all my bikes but w/bigger and beefier rotors...Magura MDR-P's. Tires (moving Dissector 2.4 to the back and adding a Dissector 2.6 to the front), Rotors will heavier too.

neilo

Jan 25, 2022
Australia
Anyone with a M10 or mteam happy with the raceface turbine wheels? Are they a good upgrade?

I'm happy with mine but I don't really know any better. They are a good upgrade compared to the Bontragers that were on my last Trek (which, to be fair, probably suffered due to not being re-tensioned properly).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles